Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
No. Because Fundi's isn't a tech course. They go over Min Deco.

What can I say?, it's been 6 years and a few since I've even looked. Thanks.

TSandM:
That got me to thinking that the different schools of technical training (and different instructors) might be more likely to produce a pretty similar product than different recreational instructors do, and therefore enforcing a strict standardization might not be either as necessary or as beneficial at that level . . . But then you're more likely to have any mess you get into in a technical dive become life-threatening than at 60 feet. Thus my question.

For technical training there used to be more gear divergence. And still is in some circles (right rich, left lean type crazy stuff). Also gas markings are not as standardized as I'd like. I still see many deco cylinders labelled "deco gas" with no discernable MOD numbers. I won't dive with that kinda gear setup.

But even bigger than the gear issues... we are definately not planning tech dives the same or even similarly. If there's anything voodoo about DIR its ratio deco (which is not taught at the DIRF level.)

Cave1 and other cave classes are probably much more similar than Tech1 and similar tech classes (as far as I can tell).

cool_hardware52:
You will be powerless to resist.....:D

Oh... I think you meant, "Resistance is futile." (if we are sticking with the Borg theme.)

BTW, in case you are curious as to the secrets of a DIR class, here is a pic of one of the rituals:

250px-Picardassimilation.jpg

rjack321:
Cave1 and other cave classes are probably much more similar than Tech1 and similar tech classes (as far as I can tell).

Naw, some of the cave classes scare the you know what out of me...

cerich:
Naw, some of the cave classes scare the you know what out of me...

Cause of the instructor or the course as designed?

Cave1 starts Monday for me, in MX, oi

rjack321:

Keep watch on the "other" classes while you are down there. The guys I know that did Cave 1 with Danny and Chris saw some interesting things.

rjack321:

hard to say, the instructors sure aren't teaching what I think is right, but generally they are meeting the standards of who they teach for.

That came home to me last fall when I agreed to dive with a newly certified full cave diver at Ginnie, I made him change his regulator first stages so he could get at the valve knobs, they were blocking them. His comment "man that makes it easy!, why wasn't I taught that?" I had no good answer.... and I know his instructor, have dove with his instructor and the instructor doesn't have his regs the way the student did before I changed them....

Then look at how many cave divers don't cede the exit to the outgoing team, or how many don't run a primary to the perma line, have poor bouyancy (moving clouds of silt and scrapped ceiling)...

Cave 1 with GUE, you'll get it.

I learned about DIR fairly soon after I started diving due to the fact that I was reading anything and everything I could find about diving and ran across a website that talked about the DIR philosophy. To me, it really just clicked, as the DIR methodology just made sense to me. While I am not a strict adherent and have yet to take DIR-F, I do incorporate a great deal of the techniques (equipment set-up) into my diving.

Swan1172:
While I am not a strict adherent and have yet to take DIR-F, I do incorporate a great deal of the techniques (equipment set-up) into my diving.
I hate to say it (well...maybe not :wink: ) that part is the smallest part of dir.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom