Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
DIR-f is not DIR.

DIR-f is a class that goes over fundamental skills and introduces some DIR concepts.

It is a good class, but the fact of taking it doesn't make them DIR.

Certainly not, not saying that it is. But for many it is the first "class" exposure to the DIR system, atleast it or the equiv that fifthd-x teaches. So I guess my answer is the same whether we are talking about the DIR-F class or DIR, I still think there is some value to most rec divers.

Can somebody dumb down the original question for me??

From what I understand, it is, "which group of divers would benefit most from using an approach similar to DIR?"

My next question is ,what groups are choosing from? Are the choices rec, tech (mixed gas/deep), cave and wreck?

My guess is that recreational divers would benefit the most. Somehow I recall being told that of the different causes for diving accidents within recreational divers, lack of proficiency and ill-health are the most common. If true, then it would seem that a system that preaches proficiency, a holistic approach (inclusive of physical fitness - however that is defined) and team work (in case of murphy showing up to uphold one of his laws) would be of tremendous benefit.

I'm not sure I've ever come across any information that details the causes of accidents for modern tech, wreck and cave divers employing modern techniques. But I think it is fair to assume that these types of divers get enough specialized training that perhaps what DIR has to offer would merely be incremental in comparison to the benefits derived by the recreational diver.

TSandM:
That got me to thinking that the different schools of technical training (and different instructors) might be more likely to produce a pretty similar product than different recreational instructors do, and therefore enforcing a strict standardization might not be either as necessary or as beneficial at that level .
Even different DIR teams procedures will diverge a bit, due to isolation....timing of their class, environmental concerns.

Both will probably still be recognizable to each other as most will be the same or similar, but drift will occur.

Jasonmh:
Well, I agree with you, but ratio deco isn't even taught in Fundies, so not sure where you are coming from.

True, it's more an Andrew thing, however many going into DIR want to get to doing Ratio asap and abandon their computers/talbles because they aren't DIR kit.

Why isn't GUE using ratio in fundies? Liability...

JeffG:
.........The DIR-f class is a response to the fact that many of the fundamental skills are missing from a lot of divers....
my n00b and uneducated $0.02 (hence why this isnt in the DIR forum) is that this aspect is what interests me ... being a better diver but without giving up the ankle weights :wink:

i would like to know more about DIR, but it seems like such a closed shop that you need a decoder ring to get in

cerich:
Why isn't GUE using ratio in fundies? Liability...
No. Because Fundi's isn't a tech course. They go over Min Deco.

almitywife:
i would like to know more about DIR, but it seems like such a closed shop that you need a decoder ring to get in

Why do you say that? Because someone told you that ankle weights are not DIR?

The best thing you can do for yourself is to find out for yourself. Taking the class isn't like taking a hit of an addictive drug. You always have a chance to say "no, this ain't for me" after the fact. Then you can come back to the internet and roll your eyes at all the minutia of detail being argued with regards to what is DIR and what isn't.

Sorry for the hijack.

almitywife:
my n00b and uneducated $0.02 (hence why this isnt in the DIR forum) is that this aspect is what interests me ... being a better diver but without giving up the ankle weights :wink:

Fundamental skills are the building blocks of all divers. It is not specific to DIR. So in a way, its really not a part of DIR. (The assumption is that that part is already in place.)

DIR is then a set of policies and procedures to successfully execute a dive.

Policies would include.... What kind of gear. What kind of gas.

Procedures would be... How do we communicate... How do we switch gas...etc etc

Adobo, you're thinking the same way I am.

The main thing I see is the comittment to your team.

If that brings something to the table for you...you should do it.

If you cannot comit for whatever reason, then you don't buy in.

Back
Top Bottom