Using BP/W with ditchable weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With my Al plate and 1 mil suit I carry no ditchable weight. I put 1 to 2 pounds in pockets mounted on cam straps. easy to swim my rig up.
With my steel plate, 3 mil suit and vest I will carry up to 4#s (ditchable).
I always liked weight integrated BC's. When I first moved to BPW, I tried several options to mount weight pockets on the rig. In the end I went with a weight belt and won't look back.
Honestly, a great way to go. I wear it under my crotch strap. When gearing up, it is real convenient to not heft the extra weight.

John,

A SS back plate and harness is about 6 lbs negative. It's quite common for new backplate and wing users to be able to use less total ballast than they were previously using with a jacket BC.

Jacket BC's are typically 2-4 lbs positive, and a BP&W is not.

A wing is often easier to fully vent. Inability to full vent any BC requires the diver to carry more weight.

Often new BP&W users are carefully checking their total weighting requirements instead of relying on "rules of thumb" like 10% of your body weight etc.

In short don't be surprised if you can remove more than the ~ 6 lbs that the Backplate and harness provides.

My recommendation is to use a weight belt. Lets assume you need a total of 10 lbs. That leaves only 4 lbs in a weight belt. A 4 lbs weight belt is not uncomfortable.

Tobin__________________
Innovative Backplates, Wings, Harnesses and accessories
Man, you even mention BP/W and Tobin is all over it, with great information I might add! I have got to get over and buy me a rig from him!

I wear no weight in a wetsuit (3 mm) and 16 pound on a belt with my neoprene drysuit. I dive a BP/W. I did an entire Cozumel trip without a weightbelt or ditchable weights. It was GREAT.

Ziptying ankle weights to the plate! Lynn, that is really slick.

John here is a pic of my BP/W with the Zeagle Zip touch weight pockets. They hold 10 lbs on each side and all you do is pull the red handle down and the weights drop. $55 from Zeagle Express..Dove with it Saturday and trimmed out great.
Zeagle.jpg

Rex

TSandM:
For easily ditchable weight, you have the DUI Weight&Trim harness, the Halcyon ACB pockets on the waistband, or a weight belt. (I use an XS Scuba belt, where you can open the pockets and take the weights out, too.)

Dive Rite and Zeagle (as pictured) make ditchable pockets too

do a careful weight check. it's true - you may not need any!

if you do, consider a cam band pocket. i had 2 on my singles rig, on the bottom band. if you're foot heavy, you can put them on the top band. the weight could be ditched if you can reach the zipper. i could, but i can't assume for you. then again, the ability to ditch weight is way way over-emphasized. worry more about how much is needed, then where it is needed, and coming in a distant third, if you can get rid of it.

OMS makes ditchable weight pouches like the Halycon ACB system, but they also have a D ring on the top of the pocket where you can suspend them from the D rings on your harness. It's a very nice no-sag solution which I like very much. I only use them in cold water where I need 6 lbs per pouch ( plus 6lbs BP, 6lb STA).

You can find here:
http://www.scuba-market.com/detail.aspx?ID=401

Take care,
john

I use a plain old weight belt with my SS BP. The ditchable weight question comes up frequently, do a search.

A lot will depend on YOU and your physiology, you will need to get into water with it and find out. You may find that a traditional setup works fine without need for fiddling with location to get the right trim.

I like having some ditchable. Ultimately if you are diving a wetsuit you have to assume what if my suit is crushed to zero bouyancy by a deep dive, and the wing fails, how much weight am I going to have to lift off the bottom. I like to toss in another handicap like say I've lost a fin. I find that my tight spots come not with a single failure but a double-failure.

For you, probably not so much of a problem. For me diving cold NorCal "wet" with the weight needed to sink a 7mm suit plus hooded vest, I'd rather be able to dump 1/3 to 1/2 of it in a pinch.

one more vote for the XS Scuba pouches or belt - I prefer their pouches on my harness waist belt, mounted upside down. They are a very small option (with a small price tag too) and hold up to 5# each (I've easily put a 6# in each).

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom