Using BP/W with ditchable weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for the replies.

This helps alot.

I forgot about the STA, and the fact that it would be adding a little weight (Thanks Tobin).

Here is the reason I was asking. I like the idea of the weight pockets that can be attached to the plate. I don't dive so over-weighted that I can't swim to the surface, even in the event of a wing failure, but then again, I am only diving a single in relatively shallow water (usually less than 40'). I was going to purchase the weight pockets now, but after reading all your advice, I think I'll try out the weight belt first and take it from there (after all, I already own it, so the price is right).

I'll try for proper weighting before I go on my trip and see if I can get away w/ no additional weights (quite possible). Then I'll do the same thing in salt water to see what happens, and see what kind of additional weight (if any) that I might need.

On this trip, it will be mostly shallow dives (hopefully w/ some lobster), so I figure it is a good time to try out the new equipment. Being so shallow and w/ someone I trust will help overcome the new equipment issues and learning curve I expect to have.

Thanks again;

John

John you have to do one thing prior to using your backplate and wing.

Adjust the fit for you.

It has to be SET up for you. Meaning it has to be adjusted so it fits your body perfectly. It takes about 20 minutes or so. Check this out, go to the adjusting section. It will guide you On how to adjust your harness/backplate
http://www.halcyon.net/manuals/Halcyon_mc_manual05web.pdf

I use the ACB ditchable weight pockets plus a SS plate of 6lbs and a STA of 6lbs. My ditchable weight is about 4 to 6 pounds depending which wetsuit I use. And I add 8 pounds when diving drysuit.

You may not need extra weight. but adjusting it right will make all the difference.

Safe dives
Stephen

I used the Halcyon ACB weight pockets when I dove singles. The are great, albeit expensive. The XS Scuba pouches are great if you are on a budget. Maybe try the XS Scuba pockets first. If you don't like them, you are only out $15 or so.

scarefaceDM:
John you have to do one thing prior to using your backplate and wing.

Adjust the fit for you.

It has to be SET up for you. Meaning it has to be adjusted so it fits your body perfectly. It takes about 20 minutes or so. Check this out, go to the adjusting section. It will guide you On how to adjust your harness/backplate
http://www.halcyon.net/manuals/Halcyon_mc_manual05web.pdf

I use the ACB ditchable weight pockets plus a SS plate of 6lbs and a STA of 6lbs. My ditchable weight is about 4 to 6 pounds depending which wetsuit I use. And I add 8 pounds when diving drysuit.

You may not need extra weight. but adjusting it right will make all the difference.

Safe dives
Stephen

Thanks. This was another question I had. And the information on the link is perfect.

I can't wait to try it.

John

kidspot:
one more vote for the XS Scuba pouches or belt - I prefer their pouches on my harness waist belt, mounted upside down. They are a very small option (with a small price tag too) and hold up to 5# each (I've easily put a 6# in each).

Aloha, Tim

this is what i use too.. XS Scuba pouches or if you need a little bigger, the Halcyon trim pockets (http://www.halcyon.net/mc/weights.shtml) on the harness waist belt. i didn't want to wear a weight belt over the harness (blocks all the D rings etc) or under it. i installed the pouches all the way back, closes to the BP.

only thing is. i have to remove the weights from the pouches when the rig is not on me, since i don't want to weight to pull on the harness. I have the DSS rig and the weights on the harness can pull the wing from the backplate if you hold it wrong, and it's a pain to reattach.

How do the weights on the harness pull the wing off? Are you picking the rig up by the wing?

I have six pounds on the cambands in warm water, and I've never had them pull the wing off or even stress the wing. I have a hard time visualizing what's going on with your setup.

SpiderSense:
this is what i use too.. XS Scuba pouches or if you need a little bigger, the Halcyon trim pockets (http://www.halcyon.net/mc/weights.shtml) on the harness waist belt. i didn't want to wear a weight belt over the harness (blocks all the D rings etc) or under it. i installed the pouches all the way back, closes to the BP.

only thing is. i have to remove the weights from the pouches when the rig is not on me, since i don't want to weight to pull on the harness. I have the DSS rig and the weights on the harness can pull the wing from the backplate if you hold it wrong, and it's a pain to reattach.

I to am confused. Maybe I'm not picturing exactly how you have your gear rigged.

While I'm not a fan of weight pouches on the wasit belt, I still can't picture how that would cause the wing to detach.

Tobin

There was a great sale posted in the last couple of days for the XS Scuba pouches. Check the classified section. I got a pair in December and love them. I have been wearing 10# on a weight belt. Now that 10# is in the XS pouches on my hog-harness and the weight belt is gone forever. My rig is much more comfortable now (although my canister light and right-side pocket are quarreling over the same piece of real estate at the moment. Still working on that. Canister moved to the backplate for now.)

-Ben

Another really good option is the DUI Weight and Trim Harness. The one I bought and just used for a few dives is the Classic. It is almost infinitely adjustable and holds a gob of weight. It is better than a weight belt for folks that don't have much of a butt. And it gets the weight off your waist.

The only downside to it is that it does take up space in your travel luggage. So, I'm looking for something smaller for those trips where I need to cram everything into one backpack.

I've tried a variety of pockets on the waist strap and didn't like any of them. So, until I find something else it is the DUI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom