Using BP/W with ditchable weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I forgot to mention - Use stainless steel belt slides to keep the pockets in place if you put them on your harness waistband.

-Ben

TSandM:
How do the weights on the harness pull the wing off? Are you picking the rig up by the wing?

I have six pounds on the cambands in warm water, and I've never had them pull the wing off or even stress the wing. I have a hard time visualizing what's going on with your setup.

no, i never hold the setup by the wing. without the tank on, it just somehow comes off once in a while--it either gets bumped around on the dock, or when removing from the tank or something. the weight on the belt just makes things heavier and any bump on the wing pushes it off i guess. anywho, imagine the weights stuck on the harness in the dunk tank. it has to come off anyway.

There is no way that a 4-6 lb. weight belt is uncomfortable. You want to be absolutely neutral at fifteen feet with an empty tank., which means you'll need to be around 4-5 lbs negative with a full one depending on YOUR tank.

You need to be able to become positive by ditching weight if you have to, and 4-6 lbs would be absolutely ideal IMHO.

Don't dive with no ditchable weights. If you really feel it necessary, by the pouches you've heard about and put them on the waist band of your bp/w.

If you ever dive colder water and need more weight, you can always buy the weight plates (which, of course, are non-ditchable) but I like to have at least 1/2 of my TOTAL weight ditchable.

i have a DSS with SS plate and i use these... http://www.zeagleexpress.com/html/product/products.php?T=3&pid=288
they hold up to 20lb and work nicely... btw - with the DSS system i am able to use 22lb (including the 6lb plate) in saltwater and full 7mil gear!(btw-stillcan probably drop a pound or two, just spend too much time diving, not enough time "dialing it in")
amazing that i only have 8lbs in each pocket, it's like a dream!
that's diving with a steel100. for alum80 i add 4lbs more. sweet!!!!
i'm thinking for warm saltwater,(3mil) i'll need no (or very little) weight- sweet!!!
Tobin rocks! listen to him- i was able to drop many lbs with his sage advice...

I personally try to dive with NO ditchable weight.

String:
I personally try to dive with NO ditchable weight.

I absolutely agree with you String. There is no need to have any ditchable weight if you are weighted properly. That is OLD SCHOOL mentality.
Kelly

I have to agree with TS&M on your wing problem Spider. How on earth is it possibly coming of your plate. I dive with an Oxy wing and STA so it is impossible for the wing to come off, it is sandwiched in between the plate and sta. If you are diving a DSS rig with an STA less wing I assume your cambands hold your wing to your plate right. If I am wrong someone please explain.
Kelly

I use a DUI harness, but so far am down to 6 pounds of extra (over the weight of a SS plate, doubles and manifold) weight using a BARE NexGen Pro drysuit (or a 3mm wetsuit). Even at 6 pounds it seems a little heavy as I start sinking immediately upon venting the wing. I may try a dive this weekend with no extra weight. The only thing that concerns me is the bouyancy swing when the doubles are down to 500 pounds so I am going to try that as well this weekend.

Mike

I don't carry much ditchable weight, 6 to 8 lbs depending on my undergarments. I do like having the ditchable weight in the event I have a seal failure on my drysuit. I use the DUI weight and trim II, it works great, very comfortable, never in the way.

The DSS wing without an STA is held onto the plate by rubber "thingamabobs" that go through the holes in the plate where bolts would go to hold doubles. When a tank is on the plate, the wing is stabilized by the tank as well. When there's no tank on the rig, it is possible, if tension is put on the wing, to pull the "thingamabob" out of the hole and have the wing come loose. On my older wing, it's extremely easy to do this, and equally easy to put them back. On the newer ones, the "thingamabobs" seem more difficult to put through the holes, and I can see where it would be annoying to have them come out. But most of the time that mine come loose, it's because somebody on the boat has tried to pick the rig up by the wing, something I don't seem to have much luck convincing people NOT to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom