Using BP/W with ditchable weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another option no one mentioned is v weights (or p-weights or whatever they are called).. put it between your back and the plate and hold it in place with the STA bolts. Much better for trim than a weight belt or harness where the weights sit significantly lower.

Also a problem with the harness is you've got to remember to put it on BEFORE you put on your rig. Something I've forgotten more than once :)

jon m:
yes, i learned that the first time out with my DSS, DON'T pick up using the wing!!!

I would not recommend lifting any BP&W rig via the wing, regardless of how it assembles.

Pick it up by the harness.

Tobin

bluewatertoy:
I have to agree with TS&M on your wing problem Spider. How on earth is it possibly coming of your plate. I dive with an Oxy wing and STA so it is impossible for the wing to come off, it is sandwiched in between the plate and sta. If you are diving a DSS rig with an STA less wing I assume your cambands hold your wing to your plate right. If I am wrong someone please explain.
Kelly

first off, its not a real 'problem'. :)

my DSS setup is without an STA (part why i went with DSS). the cambands pass through the big holes in the wing and provide no support (nor should they) in keeping the wing attached. the wing attaches to the bp with some rubber nubbins. they're pretty tough to push through, but 'can' come off if, lets say, you lay down your rig on the dock and it gets bumped. its no big deal, but i do have to consciously hold the setup 'only' by the cambands with no weights on the waistbelt (keeping with this thread). i thought about rigging something to make the wing stay in better, but i'd rather have the wing pop off than to stress some part of it!

also, my wife isn't strong enough to attach the wing to the bp. but i basically do all the setup for her anyway. so every comment with me is exaggerated two fold. :)

If I want some (semi) ditchable weight I just put a standard lead weight on the waist strap of my BP/Wing. That saves having an extra belt and there is no chance of losing it accidentally. Also doubles as a keeper for a can light.

To ditch it I would have to undo the buckle and unthread the weight,dont see any need for instantly ditchable weight.

Does anyone use hard weights threaded onto the harness on the back of the plate? Like right where your hips are but on the tank side of the plate? I have two 2 pound weights on each side right now and it looks like it should work pretty good... but I haven't dove it this way yet.

when I dive with my bp/w and need weight, I have two small OMS pockets which are not ditcible. I just turned them upside doun, and in a hurr, one just has to pull up and out comes the weight. I can put 5+ pounds in each pocket if needed. because I have a steel plate and steel tanks I usually only need 6 pounds.

I will be in Florida soon and never used it there wth the steel platem so who knows may not need any weight when I get there since it will not be a 7 mm suit.

God luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom