Using BP/W with ditchable weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwalko

Contributor
Reaction score
I just purchased a SS backplate w/ 30lb wing...waiting for it to be delivered. I'll be trying it out in a pool next month before going to Florida for some March diving.

As I understand it, the plate will weight about 6-7 lbs. I'll be mostly diving w/ AL 80's. I suspect I'll still need to add a little weight (diving w/ 5 mil suit, 5 mil hooded vest). What are the best options? In fresh water, I normally use 12-14 lbs w/ suit, hood, AL 80's, etc. In salt water, maybe 4 lbs more

I currently have a weight belt w/ pouches/soft weights. But, I am thinking I'd like to get the weight off my waist.

When diving w/ a BP, do you typically wear a weight belt or use the ditchable weight pouches attached to the waist belt (or plate)?

Is there a way to attach weight pockets to the plate (I am thinking I'd like these to be ditchable). Actually, this brings up a question...do they need to be ditchable?

I saw that Dive Rite has these weight pockets. Are they usable w/ any 2" webbing? Or is there something specific about Dive Rite that means you need to use only w/ their system?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks;

John

Assuming its not a joke you can put pockets on your harness but might find you trim out better with weight belt.

daniel f aleman:
Is this a joke?

Why would it be a joke? I thought it was a legitimate question. I've never dove w/ a BP/W before and need to understand how to configure it for a trip in March.

By the way...nice assumption

John

I use a steel BP with a 30# wing and find the weight pockets work just fine. I don't need much lead in them, so my ditchable weight is minimal. Just enough to keep me down with a low tank, but easy to swim up without ditching.

The Dive Rite pockets fit standard webbing. I use the Halcyon system and it works well.

I have Zeagle weight pockets which attach to the back plate. I really like the design and it doesn't effect my trim. They aren't on the webbing so it isn't constantly pulling at my harness. I can't find a specific link right now but I'm sure you can see the pockets if you google them.

Miranda

Okay here they are Its the item "20-LB Capacity 519-WS120RC" at the bottom of the page http://www.mikesscuba.com/zeagle/zeagleaccessories.htm

Okay, I'll bite because I went through the same thing last summer and haven't looked back.

You probably won't need as much weight at you used to with the switch to the BPW.

To really get the advantage of your plate, if you need more than the 6lbs it is already, try as single tank adapter which can also have a weight in it. Should not be too hard to get rid of any weights on your belt. Read through the DIR or Hogarthian diving formums if you want to go this way. You will find lots of threads regarding this. If you have more questions, pm me.

Cheers,

Good Luck.

jwalko:
I just purchased a SS backplate w/ 30lb wing...waiting for it to be delivered. I'll be trying it out in a pool next month before going to Florida for some March diving.

As I understand it, the plate will weight about 6-7 lbs. I'll be mostly diving w/ AL 80's. I suspect I'll still need to add a little weight (diving w/ 5 mil suit, 5 mil hooded vest). What are the best options? In fresh water, I normally use 12-14 lbs w/ suit, hood, AL 80's, etc. In salt water, maybe 4 lbs more

I currently have a weight belt w/ pouches/soft weights. But, I am thinking I'd like to get the weight off my waist.

When diving w/ a BP, do you typically wear a weight belt or use the ditchable weight pouches attached to the waist belt (or plate)?

Is there a way to attach weight pockets to the plate (I am thinking I'd like these to be ditchable). Actually, this brings up a question...do they need to be ditchable?

I saw that Dive Rite has these weight pockets. Are they usable w/ any 2" webbing? Or is there something specific about Dive Rite that means you need to use only w/ their system?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks;

John

John,

A SS back plate and harness is about 6 lbs negative. It's quite common for new backplate and wing users to be able to use less total ballast than they were previously using with a jacket BC.

Jacket BC's are typically 2-4 lbs positive, and a BP&W is not.

A wing is often easier to fully vent. Inability to full vent any BC requires the diver to carry more weight.

Often new BP&W users are carefully checking their total weighting requirements instead of relying on "rules of thumb" like 10% of your body weight etc.

In short don't be surprised if you can remove more than the ~ 6 lbs that the Backplate and harness provides.

My recommendation is to use a weight belt. Lets assume you need a total of 10 lbs. That leaves only 4 lbs in a weight belt. A 4 lbs weight belt is not uncomfortable.

Tobin

For easily ditchable weight, you have the DUI Weight&Trim harness, the Halcyon ACB pockets on the waistband, or a weight belt. (I use an XS Scuba belt, where you can open the pockets and take the weights out, too.)

For non-ditchable weight, you can ziptie ankle weights along the edge of the plate, or use XS Scuba or Trident weight pockets on the cambands (which is what I do). You can also use a tank weight, or the Deep Sea Supply plates can have weight plates attached to them to move even more weight up onto your back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom