Used gear warranty???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But don't forget; the same manufacturers who can't stop the plentiful flow of their goods to unauthorized retailers can trace the S/N of your regulator to the authorized retailer who sold it if they choose to check. So you may need to do a little extra work on that bogus receipt.
Well, I wasn't saying to do anything fraudulent. Presumably the person you're buying from knows where he/she bought it. My solution implies that you acquire this info from the seller, in the event the seller doesn't have a receipt :)

Well, I wasn't saying to do anything fraudulent.
Actually, that's exactly what you are saying. If the warranty is limited to the original owner, you are not the original owner, and you are claiming to be the original owner, that is the very definition of fraud. I personally would not be comfortable claiming that I bought the regulator at Authorized Dealer when I in fact bought it from Joe Blow.

When I bought my last Atomic M1 at Pan Aqua Divers, an authorized Atomic dealer in New York, they took my name, address, phone number, etc., and if I remember correctly, included all that information on the receipt. That is what I meant when I said, "they could require a receipt in your name." I guess they would sell you an M1 for a wad of hundreds, even if you refused to identify yourself. I wonder how they'd handle the warranty in that case.

When I bought my last Atomic M1 at Pan Aqua Divers, an authorized Atomic dealer in New York, they took my name, address, phone number, etc.
Yeah, I see, I don't give retailers my personal info. It's none of their business. It's like when I go to Lowe's and at the register, they ask for your phone number. I say "no" and then the cashier gets all confused and isn't sure what to do.

I'm fairly new to diving and have a question regarding used gear that's being sold privately whether here on SB, on eBay, etc. Some people seem to think that when they sell their almost new-in-box gear to someone else, the buyer is entitled to the remainder of the warranty. My understanding is that the original purchaser is entitled to the warranty and that's it.

Essentially, if someone buys equipment from an authorized retailer, then turns around and sells said equipment to someone else the next day even though they haven't used it, the warranty is, in fact, void.

I know that there may be ways around this but, am I missing something? :confused:

I hate to tell you this, but almost all the gear you buy used does not have a transferrable warranty. That's why I say buy new. Especially with ScubaPro. You save the money parts every year, and the warranty is lifetime.

I hate to tell you this, but almost all the gear you buy used does not have a transferrable warranty. That's why I say buy new. Especially with ScubaPro. You save the money parts every year, and the warranty is lifetime.

Yep. You spend $75 to $100 every year for labor to get about $25 worth of free parts (wholesale). What a deal. But if you insist on having your Scubapro regulator serviced every year, and you can't DIY; then that's about as good as it will get for you if you opt for Scubapro.

All of my reg's come from unauthorised sources. I don't need to have them serviced every year, they simply don't need it. My LDS isn't an Aqualung dealer & even if they were they wouldn't buy Apeks kits every year.

They've been in the commercial & rec. dive business for some time & have real expertise. They know what 'O' rings are required for everything they service, a couple of dollars worth go into a reg. My original seat's & diaphragms are all in good order so I won't put a full kit through them until they require changing. For a brilliant breath I pay $50 every couple of years per reg. I haven't bought a full kit in the last 5 years.

I think warranties are a bit overrated.

OK experts, I purchased a Mares octo, advertised as new, from an "eBay dealer. It appeared to have never been in the water. The item came in a plastic bag, with no "Mares" box, handbook, or registration card.

Did I reveive something new or used?

(I hooked it up and have been using it since last March, as I wanted to dive and it was... here.)

Actually, that's exactly what you are saying. If the warranty is limited to the original owner, you are not the original owner, and you are claiming to be the original owner, that is the very definition of fraud. I personally would not be comfortable claiming that I bought the regulator at Authorized Dealer when I in fact bought it from Joe Blow.

When I bought my last Atomic M1 at Pan Aqua Divers, an authorized Atomic dealer in New York, they took my name, address, phone number, etc., and if I remember correctly, included all that information on the receipt. That is what I meant when I said, "they could require a receipt in your name." I guess they would sell you an M1 for a wad of hundreds, even if you refused to identify yourself. I wonder how they'd handle the warranty in that case.

Atomic regulators are one of the few that DO have a transferable warranty (bought my B2 in 2006 and my wife's B2 in 2007). Mineis ow out of warranty but my wife's is still in warranty and would transfer to the new owner if we were to sell it.

Atomic regulators are one of the few that DO have a transferable warranty (bought my B2 in 2006 and my wife's B2 in 2007). Mineis ow out of warranty but my wife's is still in warranty and would transfer to the new owner if we were to sell it.
Really? My stuff is in storage, so I can't check mine, but here's what the Atomic FAQs say:

If I purchase a used Atomic Aquatics regulator can I get the warranty transferred to me or can I purchase a new warranty.

No, the warranty is non-transferable, and only the original owner is eligible for a lifetime warranty.

Really? My stuff is in storage, so I can't check mine, but here's what the Atomic FAQs say:

I will have to check my warranty. The LDS owner told me the warranty was transferable. He was comparing it to ScubaPro at the time. He sold both ScubaPro and Atomic.

Maybe the policy has changed since I bought my B2 (2005 - 2006 time frame).

The LDS owner is a very honest guy. When I was starting out, he actually pointed out that certain items I would be better off buying at a hardware store or ways that I could save without sacrificing quality by considering other options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom