Used gear warranty???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may also have the option of processing your "warranty work" back through the original owner or an owner who still has warranty coverage on the item. I believe that is basically what Leisurepro does with good they "warranty". (They are not just eating the loss.) It's not that your 6 month old Scubapro Mk25/S600 that you bought used does not still have a warranty, it's that only the original owner has a right to that warranty in most cases. I believe there are some foreign countries that have legal requirements that warranties must be passed on to subsequent owners. Different consumer protection laws.

OK. So in fact, the serial numbers on each product are pretty much worthless unless the only thing the manufacturers are trying to do is ID the product and keep track of its quality. Is that a fair statement?

If I walked into any authorized dealer and tried to get warranty work on something, say a regulator, which I know is still in warranty but bought used, you're all basically saying that I should be able to get work done on it?

I'm not saying that. There might be repairs available to you under a warranty that would not prompt a recall. Authorized dealers may step into the breach to justify their much higher profit margin and keep a customer who has demonstrated insensitivity to price. My personal experience is with two recalls that were handled to my satisfaction despite buying from unauthorized dealers. It is my opinion that the rare instance where a warranty benefits you is not worth the often considerable difference in price. But I would not expect warranty coverage on used gear.

I understand where the OP is coming from but I think you need to ask yourself why the warranty is important. If there is a defect, it will always be covered-period. Otherwise, you are probably only getting free parts for life. While that may sound fantastic, I would be surprised if the savings over 30 years was enough to buy a new reg-I don’t think it would be. What are parts? $12? Compare this to labor and the new warranty isn’t all that great. One could even argue, that depending on the amount of use in any given year, it might not be needed or even advised to break it open for an annual service-but if you want to keep it in warranty you better bring it in and pay.
If you find a used one that hasn’t been registered, with receipt and less than a year old then sure, you can put it in your name and no one will be the wiser. If it is already registered maybe you could get away with ‘I’m just dropping it off for the guy’ but I don’t know. I buy used stuff and don’t have an issue with it. I think most manufactures require too much service of their equipment in many cases.

Because presumably you registered the warranty with the manufacturer, dealer, or both.
Big presumption. Even even if I did, suppose I sell it to you. Next week you send it in to have it serviced. How do they know you're not me?? I've never had to submit any kind of ID when having something serviced.

I'm fairly new to diving and have a question regarding used gear that's being sold privately whether here on SB, on eBay, etc. Some people seem to think that when they sell their almost new-in-box gear to someone else, the buyer is entitled to the remainder of the warranty. My understanding is that the original purchaser is entitled to the warranty and that's it.

Essentially, if someone buys equipment from an authorized retailer, then turns around and sells said equipment to someone else the next day even though they haven't used it, the warranty is, in fact, void.

I know that there may be ways around this but, am I missing something? :confused:

Atomic also has a transferrable warranty.

my dry suit is used, belongs to the owner of my dive shop, as with my first stage gear.
They just replaced the valve and seals for free on the dry suit
I'm unsure how my warranty is for the suit itself, the valve replacement didnt work so now I have a huge leak but only from the top, the bottom is dry.
so it has to get sent in for a week. hope it's covered.

and my regs transfer over warranty with one year.

Big presumption. Even even if I did, suppose I sell it to you. Next week you send it in to have it serviced. How do they know you're not me?? I've never had to submit any kind of ID when having something serviced.
Well, they could require you to show a receipt or a warranty registration in your name. But I accept your assertion that you can easily get around the rules--I have never tried. It just reinforces my point that warranties in aggregate are not very valuable if dealers will allow customers to assert warranty protection without proof.

Well, they could require you to show a receipt or a warranty registration in your name.
So get the receipt from the seller when you buy it. If he doesn't have it, then you have an issue of not having proof of purchase, not an issue of being able to (effectively) transfer the warranty. The original owner is going to have problems without the receipt too.

In many cases, if you are creative, and you know where the items was purchased, some effort into it - make it look nice. Hell, dive shop here in to you can always dummy up your own receipt anyway. Putwn just uses a plain office supply receipt book for his receipts. Nothing too special about it. Another uses computer generated ones that would be very easy to duplicate.

So get the receipt from the seller when you buy it. If he doesn't have it, then you have an issue of not having proof of purchase, not an issue of being able to (effectively) transfer the warranty. The original owner is going to have problems without the receipt too.

In many cases, if you are creative, and you know where the items was purchased, some effort into it - make it look nice. Hell, dive shop here in to you can always dummy up your own receipt anyway. Putwn just uses a plain office supply receipt book for his receipts. Nothing too special about it. Another uses computer generated ones that would be very easy to duplicate.

But don't forget; the same manufacturers who can't stop the plentiful flow of their goods to unauthorized retailers can trace the S/N of your regulator to the authorized retailer who sold it if they choose to check. So you may need to do a little extra work on that bogus receipt.

I just don't see much value in a warranty for highly reliable and durable gear so I'm not very concerned about it. I would rather have the extra savings. But if a warranty is important to you, maybe you should just stick with new gear from authorized dealers.

Back
Top Bottom