"I advise new divers to not buy used gear"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A point I havent seen for used gear.

I got my scuba licence to be able to dive when I was in exotic places (which was somewhat frequent because work). I joined the occasional local dive with rental gear but it was just a hassle.

I suddenly found a package of "all I needed" used gear for the equalivent 600$, including drysuit, bcd, a bunch if fins, all lead, dsmb and so on).
I got the package, and suddenly found myself diving frequently. Most of the gear have been replaced since then (most of it sold, pretty much covering what I gave for it!) - but I'd never even consider getting new gear as I was not expecting myself to be using it.

For diver with some experience, used gears are definitely the way yo go. There are just so many good quality under utilized gears. Most people don’t continue diving after initial OW and warm water dives. They are lured to buy a compete set of gears by the shop or instructors, it is just how the industry is. However, but less likely a complete beginner know where to look and what to look. If I am a DM or instructor for a OW class, I certain would NOT encourage students to buy used. In fact l, I will encourage them NOT to buy anything yet, use rental for the next 20-25 dives. Just to see how things go.

Unfortunately, the same can often be said when buying new. Plenty of shops see new divers as ways to make some more money. After all, doesn’t every new diver need an Atomic BC2 paired with a TFX paired with a Garmin MK2i with transmitter? Granted, they will all work well, but the new diver could also save a ton of money with gear that is pretty much just as capable for significantly less.

And that’s a $30-$50 replacement. If it holds air, and was a good deal, it probably still is.

New or used, the new diver shopping for their first gear needs to do some homework. Ideally, they have someone they trust that can help evaluate that used gear to make sure it really is a good deal. Likewise, that trusted diver can also make sure that the dive shop is not overselling.

When buying new, you can pretty much guarantee that the gear will work. If not, the warranty will come into play. When buying used, the purchaser would factor in the cost of service. A lot of the used regulators I see for sale end up being a crappy deal when service is factored in. Then, it’s just better to buy new.
A new diver is not going to be ready or able to replace an inflator, know where to buy one, or know how to do the work, or test it. This is exactly why buying used gear is not a good idea for beginners.

Yes, it is possible that a dive shop might up-sell the newby diver, they are at least able to review gear at a number of price points. When my wife and I went to buy all new gear 20+ years ago, that exactly what we experienced. My wife bought all the top end gear, I picked out the more entry level gear. Some of her top end gear did not hold up over time (Uwatec AirZ with Transmitter and MemoMouse) while some of my gear got replaced with better gear within a couple of years. I am still diving her Aqualung Legend regulators 23 years later, while my Mares MR12 1st stage is blowing air in my workshop.

A new diver is not going to be ready or able to replace an inflator, know where to buy one, or know how to do the work, or test it. This is exactly why buying used gear is not a good idea for beginners.

Replacing an inflator is really not that hard. I replaced one successfully many years ago without any training or instructions. It was just obvious. Clip the zip tie, slide up the corrugated, slide the pin out from the pull cable, and reverse to install.

If they don’t know how to test an inflator, they probably ought to get a refund from their instructor. Press the inflate button, and the BC should inflate. It should stop inflating when the button is released. If that isn’t understood, then diving may be beyond their capabilities. Servicing a regulator is another level, but replacing an inflator is not that hard. Testing an inflator is even easier.

If you don’t know what you are buying, bring someone along who does. That applies for new or used, and for really any big ticket items. When I bought my first boat, I bought used. I had never owned a boat before, so I consulted with others that did. I even paid a mechanic to check it out. I didn’t buy the first I looked at based on his advice.

If a new diver isn’t going to do some due diligence, then they are likely to get ripped off. New or used.

Replacing an inflator is really not that hard. I replaced one successfully many years ago without any training or instructions. It was just obvious. Clip the zip tie, slide up the corrugated, slide the pin out from the pull cable, and reverse to install.

If they don’t know how to test an inflator, they probably ought to get a refund from their instructor. Press the inflate button, and the BC should inflate. It should stop inflating when the button is released. If that isn’t understood, then diving may be beyond their capabilities. Servicing a regulator is another level, but replacing an inflator is not that hard. Testing an inflator is even easier.

If you don’t know what you are buying, bring someone along who does. That applies for new or used, and for really any big ticket items. When I bought my first boat, I bought used. I had never owned a boat before, so I consulted with others that did. I even paid a mechanic to check it out. I didn’t buy the first I looked at based on his advice.

If a new diver isn’t going to do some due diligence, then they are likely to get ripped off. New or used.
You must live in an alternate reality full of DIY enthusiasts. This simply does not map to the real world full of beginner divers that I have known across several decades.

We could go on a political and moral cultural diversion,

But with any decently sized purchases, you should at least talk with someone that you know or semi know,
I know it happens, but who in there right mind buys a car without talking to a smarter person.
For me it was my dad,

Same with a house,
Or dive gear,
Etc.

But this is why I get to buy cheap used gear,
And
Their phone costs the same or more then their reg set

You must live in an alternate reality full of DIY enthusiasts. This simply does not map to the real world full of beginner divers that I have known across several decades.
Perhaps I do.

For clarity, I'm not saying that every diver fresh out of OW knows how to change an inflator. I'm saying that they should understand how an inflator operates. They don't need to test the flow rate of the inflator, but testing that it inflates when the inflate button is pressed and stops when it isn't should be a skill they learned in OW. Certainly they learned the basics of inflator function during their OW course.

Essentially, it's on the buyer to do their research. Buying used is no guarantee that they'll get ripped off. Likewise, buying new is no guarantee that they won't.

I think we had this conversation somewhere else but I will say it again here...

If you can put together an Ikea bedroom set (correctly) after drinking a bottle of wine, you can probably work on your own regulators.

I think new divers need to buy better new gear! Also they need to decide sooner that they should absorb the 50+% loss when they realize they don’t like diving, they should also ask me what I may be interested in before they buy :wink:

I think we had this conversation somewhere else but I will say it again here...

If you can put together an Ikea bedroom set (correctly) after drinking a bottle of wine, you can probably work on your own regulators.
I've put together an IKEA dining room table. Regulators are less frustrating. Maybe the wine would've helped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom