"I advise new divers to not buy used gear"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toasterking

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I saw someone post recently that as a dive master they tell their students to buy new gear instead of used. I have recently figured out the math that renting from my LDS is going to put someone through college while it slowly makes me broke, so I am starting to look around to start my gear collection.

Obviously, I would have my LDS service any used equipment before I trust it, but is there any other reason I am missing someone would suggest buying new for a new diver? (Well other than the DM making a commission from the sale?)

I think, as always, it depends. Are you a DIY type of person who doesn't mind inspecting gear, learning how it works, and fixing minor issues? Can you look at the gear before purchase or get some sort of after-purchase support? Are you prepared to re-sell and re-buy if it doesn't fit?

I buy a lot of stuff second-hand. Torches, wings, plates, regulators, etc. If I buy a second-hand regulator I'm prepared to have it serviced, or do so myself, and probably replace all the hoses and mouthpieces, etc. This is not guaranteed to be cheaper than buying new. A second-hand wing/BCD might be in perfect condition, or it may have been in a garage for a decade so all the rubber pieces have crumbled or become brittle. In the latter case it's more or less scrap, and you (as a new diver) probably don't want to find out underwater.

Apart from maybe regulators, I don't think turning everything in for service at an LDS is a good strategy either, to be honest. It's likely to cost a fair amount of money, seeing as how the LDS is likely going to try to make up for the fact that you didn't buy from them. That's what I would do if someone first thinks I'm too expense to buy from then comes back to me with something they bought somewhere else for cheap and want me to fix it. :wink:

I saw someone post recently that as a dive master they tell their students to buy new gear instead of used. I have recently figured out the math that renting from my LDS is going to put someone through college while it slowly makes me broke, so I am starting to look around to start my gear collection.

Obviously, I would have my LDS service any used equipment before I trust it, but is there any other reason I am missing someone would suggest buying new for a new diver? (Well other than the DM making a commission from the sale?)
Only thing I think you may be missing is s to rent or borrow general types of gear buying... Biggest being BCDs.
They break down into 3 basic types; jacket, back inflate, and BPW (backplate and wing). SB has a lot of BPW zealots, but it should be what YOU are most comfortable with.... My kids and I love BPW, my wife prefers jacket. If able, borrow or rent at least once of each type and see what you like... But all will work. If you were near here I'd let you try some of my gear... Hopefully someone near you can help out.
Regs, either learn to DIY (not hard, just precise) or have someone you trust (not necessarily the LDS) look them over. But the basic technology hasn't changed since the 60s. Any modern reg will be great as long as it's tuned right... I dive 60s and 70s regs all the time that breathe better than any rental reg set I've ever used.
On wetsuits fit is everything. A 3mm that fits you right will be warmer than a 5mm that flushes water.

Respectfully,

James

The guy in the shop is talking nonsense.

Used kit needs some common sense, but is massively cheaper than that from a dive shop. Regulators, BCDs, cylinders, even wet/drysuits, etc. All for a fraction of the new cost.

The general rule is you get the kit serviced and in the case of cylinders, put them in test. You MUST factor this in when buying the kit. Do try to get a guarantee with the kit; not long, just that it's what they say it is, e.g. a cylinder passes its test otherwise they give you your money back.

Personally I'd at least buy new first stages and treat them well. A work horse reg. You don't need to spend much. Apeks DS4's or something.
I've had some bad luck with eBay regs in the past so I won't do that again.
Everything else you can hack for sure. Most of my kit's been bought used.
Ditto on the cylinder test guarantee. I've had that problem too.

I have sold some top quality equipment right here on Scubaboard for much less than buying new. I think if you know what you want and are patient, you can save a lot of money over buying new.

Without a doubt, used gear can be had for significantly less than comparable new gear. But, the diver needs to at least understand what they are getting. Some of the gear being sold may be a poor investment for a new diver, but they may not realize. A couple examples.

Dacor regulators. I'll occasionally see someone selling them. The issue here is that it can be tough, if not impossible, to get these serviced today. A new diver may not be aware of this. Regardless of the brand, a used regulator should be serviced first, so it's a good idea to make sure that the buyer can get that brand/model serviced before purchasing.

Old AL tanks. I see some of these pop up from time to time. Some are probably fine, but others are definitely the 6351 alloy which can be tough to get filled. Lots of shops don't want anything to do with them, and some shops won't even fill older AL tanks regardless of alloy. Related, I also saw a ton of PST HP tanks hit the used market at the time when the exemption was expired and not yet renewed.

For the most part, though there can be deals to be had. The new diver just needs to do a little homework to make sure they are really getting a deal and not paying for someone else's garbage.

There is nothing wrong with buying new stuff and there is nothing wrong with buying used stuff once you understand what you are buying.

things that are fit dependent are usually better bought new, like exposure protection.

as James said it can be a good idea to rent things you’re interested in to find out if the work for you.

b/c’s are-nice for beginners since once you have a basic size all you need do is pull a few strap ends and it fits, no other worries, this also works for plenty of crusty old experienced divers. A BP/W can do more, totally adjustable, modular so any part can be changed as needed but you have to decide how you want it set up, not hard but a little intimidating for some.

Run away from older Sherwood Avid BC's: Sherwood Avid BC Tank Strap Brackets Failed

1682366296260.png

Also, if you buy a used regulator, make certain to look @ the sintered filter in the first stage inlet. If buying off internet, have seller send pictures of the filter. If you see any bluish/green colored verdigris, again "Run away!". 🏃‍♂️

When I was new, I bought all my stuff new, because I just wanted some stuff now and didn't want to worry about it. These days, I buy a mixture of new stuff and used stuff, depending on my needs. I think a lot of divers end up doing more or less the same thing.

Keep in mind that for many dive masters, part of their job is to try to get you to buy gear through their shop. And, they'll be using it themselves, and may have bought it at the same shop (typically at a huge discount), so they will honestly believe that it's a good way to go. And it is. But, buying used gear can work just as well, sometimes at a much lower cost. Especially tanks -- I am never buying a new tank again, it is a total waste of money.

Avoid huckster weirdos hucking junk, do a quick search to see if the gear can be easily serviced, and see if you can make friends with a local diver or two who can help you out. If you're here, and you're asking these questions, and you're using your head, then I think you are on the right track.

By the way, welcome to ScubaBoard. I hope you enjoy your new hobby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom