Used gear warranty???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sixgears

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm fairly new to diving and have a question regarding used gear that's being sold privately whether here on SB, on eBay, etc. Some people seem to think that when they sell their almost new-in-box gear to someone else, the buyer is entitled to the remainder of the warranty. My understanding is that the original purchaser is entitled to the warranty and that's it.

Essentially, if someone buys equipment from an authorized retailer, then turns around and sells said equipment to someone else the next day even though they haven't used it, the warranty is, in fact, void.

I know that there may be ways around this but, am I missing something? :confused:

My X1 is the only piece of dive gear I own with a warranty that's transferable.

If there's a defect, most any manufacturer that I have dealt with will fix any defective device lest they suffer a lawsuit.

I have had returns to Aqualung, Sherwood, ScubaPro, Beauchat, Mares, Zeagle and others that were long beyond any warranty period that was ever in force.

They were happy to see the defect and any supporting material that allowed them to improve their product.

Are you missing something about warranties?

Yes, they're over rated.

NudeDiver:
How does the manufacturer know if you are the original owner anyway?
Because presumably you registered the warranty with the manufacturer, dealer, or both.

Roatanman has it right: buy your gear as cheaply as possible. If it is defective, manufacturers will fix or replace it regardless of who bought it or where it was bought. The Suunto D9 recall and the Apex regulator recall are two good recent examples.

OK. So in fact, the serial numbers on each product are pretty much worthless unless the only thing the manufacturers are trying to do is ID the product and keep track of its quality. Is that a fair statement?

If I walked into any authorized dealer and tried to get warranty work on something, say a regulator, which I know is still in warranty but bought used, you're all basically saying that I should be able to get work done on it?

Last edited:
OK. So in fact, the serial numbers on each product are pretty much worthless unless the only thing the manufacturers are trying to do is ID the product and keep track of its quality. Is that a fair statement?

If I walked into any authorized dealer and tried to get warranty work on something, say a regulator, which I know is still in warranty but bought used, you're all basically saying that I should be able to get wok done on it?

if you are not the original owner there is no warrenty work on it..Example would be if you had a scubapro regulator and took it in for its annual..If you cannot come up with proof that you are the owner with a trail of receipts that show it received annual overhauls you would have to pay for parts.Many lds have computer system data base that they keep up that shows if you purchased item from them and when it was last checked over by them.Purchased elsewhere or had work done elsewhere the responsibility is on owner to prove that he/she is original owner and had work done annually at authorized dealer.

The warranty thing is going to run the gamut from one extreme to the other, depending on what the product is as well as the manufacturer, distributor and/or even the retailer or seller.
Some serial numbers are closely tracked and some not, plus other products have no numbers & will be supported unconditionally; others not at all.
Some sellers even have a "100% happy" guarantee.
If you have a specific item in question, go ahead & ask about it. There are quite a few manufacturers & sellers that frequent the forum here.

No particular equipment in mind. The question came up while perusing the classifieds section here. Many sellers offer a receipt of the item that they are selling and expect the buyer to pass that off as his/her own if something goes wrong with it. I guess it would work if the item was paid for in cash and there's no recorded name on the receipt.

The catch is that if the original owner had already registered said product under their name, how would the intended buyer go about getting warranty work on the item?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom