Question Updated "Dutch Springs replacement" thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonofzell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Apologies for resurrecting this tired question, but it seems that the majority of responses on here have become outdated. Many of the suggested sites (and even external "directory" sites) include locations that no longer exist or that no longer offer rec diving.

Prior to its sale, my girls & I typically visited Dutch 5-10 times a year. I plan to check out Willow Springs later this month, but haven't had much luck finding other alternatives within a 2-3hr driving distance from the Philly suburbs. Bainbridge & Guppy Gulch both appear to be closed (at least to non-DM individuals), and the Jersey shore is not a viable option currently as neither of my daughters have advanced certs.

Any suggestions for quarry / lake / river dives that are close enough to make day trips from southeast PA would be greatly appreciated! Both of my girls are studying in South Florida, so the appeal of PA "muck dives" is already waning; adding a half-day drive to the mix is an even harder sell lol.

Thanks in advance!

In addition to Willow, Dive Peer also runs Lake Allure in Quarryville, PA SE of Lancaster city.

I haven't made it there yet, but I have hear it is nice. I am also hoping for maybe a post Fourth trip.
Thanks JD - I did see that, and given the wide range of opinions in reviews (which are also mostly more than 5 years old), I'd like to see if I can't visit both sites this summer. Neither appear to offer quite the same experience as dutch but at this point I'm really just looking for ANY decent spots to stay sharp within a "day trip" radius.

Thanks JD - I did see that, and given the wide range of opinions in reviews (which are also mostly more than 5 years old), I'd like to see if I can't visit both sites this summer. Neither appear to offer quite the same experience as dutch but at this point I'm really just looking for ANY decent spots to stay sharp within a "day trip" radius.

Allure at least gives you some deeper areas. Willow is something like 50'

The "Train Wreck" up at the Water Gap is supposed to be a fun dive. I imagine water conditions and access may be complicating factors.

There was once talk about hauling gear up to Sunfish Pond on the Jersey side ridge for some exploratory dives, but that is a LONG haul!

Just dove Willow Springs yesterday. Viz was 5'-10'. They're working to improve it (they have installed some aerators). There are a lot of features connected by lines (many boats, a crane, a cement truck, plane, van, fire truck, fork lift). Unfortunately they're only open on weekends.

Lake Allure is smaller than Willow Springs, but does have some deeper areas (I think max depth is 70'). Not as much to see as Willow Springs. I haven't been there this year so I don't know about the current viz.

Unfortunately the parking at Lake Allure is bad. Getting down to the area where you can set up your dive gear is about a 50' walk down a 35' hill. You can stop and drop off your gear at the top of the hill, but the parking area is another 500' away (up the road and across the street). Sometimes there are some carts at the top or bottom of the hill to carry your gear down/up the hill but if you have a garden cart or something similar, it's helpful to bring that. At the bottom area they have several wooden benches with backs that are set up like a dive boat (area to place your cylinder behind the bench, attach your BPW/BC to the cylinder, then put on your BPW/BC). There are also separate wooden shelves with cubbies to store your extra dive gear.

I have hit 88' at Allure. As mentioned smaller than Willow. Willow has tons more features, but the last time I was there viz was pretty shot.

Nothing local holds a candle to Dutch. If Willow still allowed camping (I don't think they do) it would be close, but not the viz.

NJ has the railroad bridge and the park. Both are supposed to be great dives with tons of life (and free!!), the only downside is you have to hit it at slack tide and then the viz (if you get lucky) is gone. That's the only thing holding me back. It would be a 3 hr drive for me and then it's a coin toss whether viz is good that day.

Allure has been mentioned. Theres always the St. Lawrence River.. I think we might try to camp / dive up there in the fall. That would be 7 hrs for me, but it's shore diving, so that's a huge plus.

I will miss Dutch, even if it comes back it'll never be the same.

Not so much for PA. but Leisurepro / scuba.com is going to be starting boat dives out of Yonkers pretty soon.

Hudson River ... dive the old TZ Bridge pilings?
you'd be surprised. ever since they shut down union carbide the mermaids have come back.

Back
Top Bottom