Question Updated "Dutch Springs replacement" thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJ has the railroad bridge and the park. Both are supposed to be great dives with tons of life (and free!!), the only downside is you have to hit it at slack tide and then the viz (if you get lucky) is gone. That's the only thing holding me back. It would be a 3 hr drive for me and then it's a coin toss whether viz is good that day.

I will miss Dutch, even if it comes back it'll never be the same.
Gull Island/Manasquan River railroad bridge has some good diving but if not at slack tide swift currents. Maclearie Park is not subject to current but slack high tide needed as it is shallow and for best vis.

You could do those and both Manasquan River and Shark River inlets as dives to make the travel worthwhile. Otherwise if in the area definitely worth hitting.

Gull Island/Manasquan River railroad bridge has some good diving but if not at slack tide swift currents. Maclearie Park is not subject to current but slack high tide needed as it is shallow and for best vis.

You could do those and both Manasquan River and Shark River inlets as dives to make the travel worthwhile. Otherwise if in the area definitely worth hitting.

I have been interested in heading up there. Are you saying that you could dive all of them in one day (or maybe 2)? When the tide turns how bad does the viz get?

you'd be surprised. ever since they shut down union carbide the mermaids have come back.
Oh, so you think those are mermaids! :)

It's amazing what mutations you can get from all the waste that's been dumped in the Hudson.

I have been interested in heading up there. Are you saying that you could dive all of them in one day (or maybe 2)? When the tide turns how bad does the viz get?
You may be able to do Manasquan River Inlet on an incoming tide which will bring clean water and then jump over to the railroad bridge during slack high tide but I haven't done that.

I have done that at Shark River Inlet and Maclearie Park.

Either way the viz can turn from 10 feet or more to less than five feet but the current is what will really get you. Reaching out to a local to go with or tag along with someone suiting up is helpful.

You may be able to do Manasquan River Inlet on an incoming tide which will bring clean water and then jump over to the railroad bridge during slack high tide but I haven't done that.

I have done that at Shark River Inlet and Maclearie Park.

Either way the viz can turn from 10 feet or more to less than five feet but the current is what will really get you. Reaching out to a local to go with or tag along with someone suiting up is helpful.
Yeah, there is a couple buddies that live up that way that I've been diving with on the various boats. I have passed right by all those locations, just have yet to try them out.

I would for sure jump in with someone who knows the ropes 1st.

So, diving the Delaware Water Gap looks out for the summer.

Just got back from trying to dive it, but the road to it is closed off, making it unreachable. Apparently been closed since December: PennDOT: Route 611 in Delaware Water Gap could stay closed 'until late this year'

I have some idea of kayaking over from Kittatinny Beach to dive it, but given the 4 feet of visibility in the river currently, not desperate enough to try that yet. At least the water temperature is right, 78F.

So, diving the Delaware Water Gap looks out for the summer.

Just got back from trying to dive it, but the road to it is closed off, making it unreachable. Apparently been closed since December: PennDOT: Route 611 in Delaware Water Gap could stay closed 'until late this year'

I have some idea of kayaking over from Kittatinny Beach to dive it, but given the 4 feet of visibility in the river currently, not desperate enough to try that yet. At least the water temperature is right, 78F.
I had a buddy dive it like 6 weeks ago, said it was pretty good?

Assuming we're talking about diving from the Point of Gap overlook parking lot, ask him how he got to it?

From the north, the road is physically blocked, and from the south, there are Road Closed signs, that perhaps one could drive around. I was not feeling that adventurous.

One could also just dive off of Kittatinny Beach, I've done that once, but find that section of river less interesting than the bit around the train wreck.

Assuming we're talking about diving from the Point of Gap overlook parking lot, ask him how he got to it?

From the north, the road is physically blocked, and from the south, there are Road Closed signs, that perhaps one could drive around. I was not feeling that adventurous.

One could also just dive off of Kittatinny Beach, I've done that once, but find that section of river less interesting than the bit around the train wreck.
Paging @Andy in Gap

All I know is it was him, a father and son, and an old dude named Frank! If Frank made it anyone can, LOL.

I’ve been putting together a list of PA locations, this is what I got:
Willow springs quarry
Dutch springs
Presque state park
Shikellamy state park
Bald Eagle state park
Elk state park
Pymatuning state park
Crusty’s quarry
And now, lake allure

These were put together thru internet searches and Google map’s searches, so don’t beat me up too bad!

I’m always looking for more dive sites…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom