GUE Fundamentals Class Report - Feb 18-23, 2013 - High Springs, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always enjoy reading fundies reports. Thanks for sharing.

After reading, I had to go back to my fundies writeup

Last edited:
I always enjoy reading fundies reports. Thanks for sharing.

After reading, I had to go back to my fundies writeup

That was fun to read! I went to TSandM's from yours, and found it quite interesting as well! LOL

Yes, Lynne has a way with words. I'm halfway tempted to start a thread titled "Fundies: A retrospective" to see how much has/hasn't changed since everyone has taken fundies.

Great thread. I'm signed up to take the Fundamentals class in May with Koos du Preez (Seattle). I'm fully expecting to have my ass handed to me multiple times (but to have fun doing it)

I'm not certain my GUE training will go past Fundamentals, but it will be an 'interesting' experience

Can't wait for May !

The great thing is you don't have to decide beforehand. I solemnly told my Fundamentals instructor that I just wanted to be the best recreational diver I could be . . . we know how that turned out! What I love is that GUE training leaves the door open. You don't HAVE to go on to anything more, but you can, and if you do, you have the tools with which to do it.

Yeah, I had the same mindset about Fundies probably being my last class from GUE as well. It actually did turn out that way, but I did think long and hard about doing Dave 1 through them.

Also, a note about the people who might sit in on a fundies class to help video, etc. Don't think too highly of them. They might make it look easy, but they are not in the same situation as you are. Its a lot less stressful being able to watch from the wings than it is to be under the gun doing skills. Its easy to look over your shoulder and see them hovering nicely in trim, but you are only looking at them once every 5 minutes, so you just don't see it when they back up into the wall or come up 3' by accident. Plus they already have the benefit of having been through fundies, and working on their weaknesses for the last however many months/years.

I had the chance to sit in on one of Ed's fundies classes a couple years ago, and I did video. I don't think I was all that much more stable in the water than the rest of the divers, but I think I was seen that way. Since then, I've been in the water with all three students a dozen or so times, and have done tech dives with them in the Lakes. I really enjoy diving with them. Anyway, my point is, if someone is tagging along with your fundies class, think of them as a future dive buddy.

Tom

I did think long and hard about doing Dave 1 through them.

Oops. I meant Cave 1. That would be one interesting class though.

great summary of the class. It sounds like Fundamentals went about the same for me as it did for you. I took Fundamentals last September with the goal of going straight to the tec rating, and got a provisional tec pass. I practiced a lot over the winter and converted my provisional tec into tec last week.

I think going for a rec pass is a good option for many, but I think (probably as you did) that if you plan on moving on to tec or cave, then going for a rec pass (or provisional tec) in tec gear is the way to go. I learned a lot in my class in September, and that made my practicing over the winter much more efficient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom