Unbiased view of Poseidons vs. Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kuster500

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've recently gone from diving recreationally, to a more technically oriented setup. I was looking into new regs for the new demands that would be needed, but the only thing that I could find on the board was Apeks are the best. My diving mentor if you will stresses how Poseidons are the bests. Can someone give me an upbiased review or comparrison of the regs, especiallyt the new xstreams. Thanks.

kuster500:
Can someone give me an upbiased review or comparrison of the regs, especiallyt the new xstreams. Thanks.

Unbiased comments about gear from a diver? Doesn't happen! :D

Really tho'. The Poseidons are great regs from any point of view. So are the Apeks.

The Poseidons are great breathing regs, very over-engineered and solid performers. They are also very expensive, built differently than mainstream regs, and need a very good (properly trained) technician to service them. Access to parts may also be an issue. The side exhaust is very cool if you are a photographer (or so I am told....)

The Apeks are also top end regs. Very rugged and easy to maintain. With them being supported by Aqualung parts/technicans are much easier to come by now. A concern that I have heard is that the exhaust t on the new ATX line is too small for some people. Much more of a mainstream design.

Both sets of regs come from cold/deep water diving areas. Apeks was designed for the north sea and Poseidon are from Sweeden.

I don't think you can go wrong with either reg. They both do very well in US Navy tests (Slight lead to Poseidon)

A couple of things to think about is price and service. Around here a top end set of Poseidons will be 1.5 - 2 times more expensive than Apeks. Secondly, is there a good Poseidon technician in your area? Does your LDS stock Poseidon and/or Apeks parts?

Lastly.... have you tried them?

The main argument against Poseidon is that their first stages have an upstream valve. Unlike the Apeks that will freeflow, the Poseidon will stop delivering air. That's a major problem and the reason why they are not recommended.

Actually, its the second stages that are upstream. They are nice regs, but the work of breathing and cracking effort with the Poseidon is high (Jetstream and Xstream). I used to own Jetstream/Odins, and recently sold them for Apeks regs. Much easier breathing reg, and much easier to overhaul as well.

Who said anything about first stages? :54:

Hmm not entirely correct. This issue of Poseidons being upstream has been ventilated on this board before. Perhaps a search of the archive is warranted.

Poseidons have one of the best and longest track records in technical diving. Few had a problem with them until a certain cave diving team - headed by the biggest headcase in diving - declared them "stroke gear." Ever since, every wannabe has been putting them down. Yes, Poseidons has faults, but the DIR drones generally exaggerate them, and fail to recognize that they're one of the most dependable names in diving.

My-way:
Hmm not entirely correct. This issue of Poseidons being upstream has been ventilated on this board before.

Thats what boards are for. To rehash things over and over and over...

BTW, what isnt correct???

kuster500:
I've recently gone from diving recreationally, to a more technically oriented setup. I was looking into new regs for the new demands that would be needed, but the only thing that I could find on the board was Apeks are the best. My diving mentor if you will stresses how Poseidons are the bests. Can someone give me an upbiased review or comparrison of the regs, especiallyt the new xstreams. Thanks.

Unbiased in what way? If you lean away from one, but towards a different one, that shows bias....The question (IMHO) is whether that bias is motivated by a conflict of interest e.g. the person talking works for one of the manufacturers, holds stock in the parent company, etc....heh)....

My Apeks ATX40/DS4 combos work quite weel....

I haven't used the Poseidon regs...but presume they are also good regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom