Regulator free flow and near panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It kinda makes you think that the training agencies should MANDATE a familiarization
(at a minimum) with side exhaust second stages, since they are not that unusual.

Along those lines, I dove a while ago with a lady who had one of those weird BC's with no corrugated hose and the valve on the side. I probably should have asked for a lesson in the operation, in case I had to rescue her, but I at least made a mental note that I would just concentrate on my BC, if I had to rescue her. Probably not the best response.
One of the levers by the hip with an Aqualung BC? I had an experience with one of those that made me think we should have had a better buddy check as well.

Does kinking the hose actually stop the flow? I’ve often wondered.

It does on braided hoses.

I have never run across a reg that purges anywhere but the front - I will make sure and ask and look next time I am buddied up with someone who is not family.
Scubapro Air1, Pilot, and D-series purge on the back (below the chin, facing the diver). Neat regs, but definitely a bit different.

Practice feathering the tank valve.

One of the levers by the hip with an Aqualung BC? I had an experience with one of those that made me think we should have had a better buddy check as well.
yeah I think that was it. It made me nervous. I think you press a lever down to go down (dump air) and up to add air, but I'm not really sure.

I was not necessarily panicking, i was thinking clearly and responsive, but it felt like i was actively forcing myself to keep a cool head, the biggest "panic" was mostly when the reg popped out of my mouth as i was focused on fixing something else, and it took me by surprise. Once i had my reg back in my mouth, it was not that bad. Its on me that i never bothered to check how that reg works, considering half the group i dive with uses it. As long as i'm safe and alive every mishap is a good lesson.
I'm curious if you ever determined why the second stage went into free flow? That really should not happen, especially hard enough to push the regulator out of our mouth.

SeaRat

I'm curious if you ever determined why the second stage went into free flow? That really should not happen, especially hard enough to push the regulator out of our mouth.

SeaRat
If i recall correctly, IP was set on the higher end of the range, the really cold temps combined with inflating wing/drysuit while taking a breath in caused to free flow, once the IP was lowered, I haven't had any issues since, even in 0 degrees. I tend to not bite down too hard on my mouthpiece, just enough to keep it from falling out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom