Regulator free flow and near panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baydoun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Preface:
A little over a week ago, I was in Tobermory, diving the Niagara II (~25m/85ft ~15 degrees), nothing particularly special about the dive that day, other than i was in almost all new gear (MISTAKE 1) (it was the second dive in this particular gear configuration, the first dive being a "benign" dive the day before, 45 mins at about 20ft just to check weight and get used to the setup.)

I was in a drysuit, single al80. steel backplate(new), wing(new), second time diving a long hose config (HOG D3 + classic 2.0, new regs) I always dive with the same people, and most dive very similar gear, so my check was for air and making sure i had all my stuff, no specifics about donating air etc. (MISTAKE 2)

incident:
we descended as usual, staying close to the line, to a depth of 22 meters, at a depth of 22 meters, my alternate popped out of the rubber necklace it was in (temporary until i made a bungee one), as im putting it back in, i take a breath and inflate by drysuit, and my primary regulator flew out of my mouth, free flowing, i grabbed it and bit down, breathing off the free flow, and alerted one of my buddies that i had a free flow. he handed me his regulator (poseidon xstream), i did not know how to purge it, i was pressing the front, and i could not exhale to clear at that point as i had grabbed it at the end of an exhale, and did not think to go back to the freeflow to get a breath, so i refused the regulator, and placed my freeflowing regulator back in my mouth, and that was understood as a sign of panic.

i maintained eye contact, signaled that i was okay breathing from the freeflow and we began a slow ascent to the surface, we stayed on the surface for 10 minutes, i had 2000 psi left, we then descended back down slowly to see if the problem would happen again, so we continued down to the wreck and swam around for a while before heading back up, doing a safety stop and surfacing.

once on the boat, we checked the IP, and it was at the higher end, so it was brought down, and i had no more issues for the next dives of the weekend

Conclusion:
i messed up, i dove with too much new gear that preoccupied me, i did not check how to purge the poseidon, and refusing a regulator might have gone very differently if it was seen as a sign of panic by someone a lot less experienced than the instructor who i was diving with. I'm very glad we went back down after the freeflow, it probably helped keep me diving this weekend, instead of sitting out the dives, afraid of something happening again.

i'm glad I did not fully panic, and remembered that i could easily breath from the free flow, but it was a good lesson and it did not end in an injury. Im still unsure if both my regs freeflowed or only my primary.

I’m going to make a suggestion - it’s pretty common for single tank divers wreck diving on the Great Lakes to sling a pony for deeper divers. I slung a 30 at first then went to a 40. At least you’re diving a BP/W, which means you won’t have any issues with D rings in the wrong place.

That’s a great dive site!

I’m going to make a suggestion - it’s pretty common for single tank divers wreck diving on the Great Lakes to sling a pony for deeper divers. I slung a 30 at first then went to a 40. At least you’re diving a BP/W, which means you won’t have any issues with D rings in the wrong place.

I'm definitely going to try out a pony bottle on my next local dive, so I have experience with it before taking it deeper, I can easily rent a 40 rigged as a pony bottle from my LDS so I guess there's no reason not to try it

How do you purge a Poseidon reg?

Do you press the middle of the big button on the side?

yeah, its nothing special in hindsight, but i wasnt thinking straight and was pushing the front plastic cover instead
Don’t worry I am not being judgemental.

I can see how it can get wrong when you are in panic mode.

Good job thinking fast, breathing from the freeflow, and aborting the dive.

I am not familiar with that reg. Does it have a venturi adjustment or a inhalation resistance knob?

I am not familiar with that reg. Does it have a venturi adjustment or a inhalation resistance knob?
it has both, theres a venturi lever and an adjustment knob, i think both second stages were set to have a higher breathing resistance.

I was in a class years ago, and during our first dive, the instructor signaled that I was OOA. I signaled OOA to the other student, and he donated. So far so good. That was the first time I had ever seen a Poseidon regulator. I could not figure out what to do. I knew I had time, people around me, and my own working regulators, so there was no panic, but I can see how it would have been different in a real OOA situation.

It should be a standard procedure for divers using any unusual gear to explain it to others before they get in the water so that it does not become an issue in case of emergency.

that's precisely why my wife and I are going to doubles... Great lakes diving is our local diving, and most of it is cold/deep. I like the idea of a huge gas supply and redundancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom