Unbiased view of Poseidons vs. Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not all poseidons are upstream regs. The cyklons will blow off if the first stage creeps or blows...

I found poseidons expensive to service and grew weary of the proprietary hose. I have switched over to apeks ds4/tx50's, and have not been disappointed.

Me and my wife both have poseidons. We used zeagels,
beuchat, scubapro, and sherwoods. We upgraded our gear to poseidons. We have been extremely pleased. The breath really nice compared to some other regs we have tried.
Clearing the 2nd stage underwater takes getting use to.
There is a large blast of air from them. So when clearing the reg a light press of the purge button is all that's needed.

Getting a good tech. to service them is a great idea.

We have not tried apeks.

kuster500:
Can someone give me an upbiased review or comparrison of the regs, especiallyt the new xstreams. Thanks.

I have both and like both.

Initial cost, parts cost, non-standard hoses, and difficulty finding good repair techs may be valid reasons not to buy the Poseidons but IMO the whole lost of air due to upstream design thing is not a real reason.

I've used primarily Poseidons over the years and have 1000 or so dives on Odins and Thors with 50 or so dives on the new Xstreams. I have never had a problem with loss of air on any of them. I know a dozen so others that i dive with regularly that use Poseidons and can tell you the same thing.

In all those years and all those dives i have never seen a Poseidon OPV pop or a loss of air caused by the regulator. Thats a pretty good track record in my book. First and/or second stage freeflows happen from time to time but are rare in my experience and usually are not the fault of the regs.

I'm relatively new to using Apeks, about a hundred dives on a ATX100 and i like it, but Poseidon has served me and my dive buddies well. IMO, Poseidon can serve you as well or better than the Apeks. Either would be a great choice under the right circumstances.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go with the posiedons, but now I have to decide between the deep 90 or the nitrox xstreams....any advice

I dont know if you have noticed but the new first stages dont have enough low pressure ports to support a dry suit-

I have 4 sets of Posiedons Odins- I used to dive with them on Tech dives - Before I got my ReBreather... They did fine- I did have to fly to Serious Fun (New York) to learn how to service them properly - but they are nice Regs- Thery were what everyone used up until Trey bashed them-- Now everyone uses Apex- I have an Apex ATX200 I think is the module number it's a fine reg- I use it for bail out

But what I really like- What I use when my Breather is not necessary is my Atomic B1/B2 ooooooh they are nice- What I like about them is the service intervals- The Second stages are made of Titanium- which means they will never rust-
I use the B1/B2 because the first stages are made of brass- (I stay away from the Titanium first stages) Not O2 Compatable- Fine for low pressure not so fine for high pressure.

Lets face it once you get up into the 600-700 dollar range of regs they are all going to breath the same- the diffeerrnces can only be measured on machines not felt by the diver.

If you are tring to get into the DIR crowd or those are the guys you want to dive with get the Apex- otherwise they will not dive with you!

Man, that was kinda negative...

Anyways yes the deep 90 only has 3 LP ports on them and 1 HP port on them. But if you are diving doubles, Y valve, or H valve, this should be more than enough for 2 2nd stages, a drysuit hose, and my two LP inflator hoses ( I dive on a double bladder wing). I agree though, in a single tank setup, this would not do.

What the Trey part- I didnt mean it to be negative- But that's what happened- Are are right if you are diving doubles than it should be fine- It looks like a really fine Bail out reg- nice and compact- streamlined.

I like the new second stage on them- they are like a mini version of the old style!

I sell both & stand by my +30 year old Cyklons any day. :D
That "upstream - no air" story is an urban legend, *if* things should crap out you still get air. (never heard of it happening though)
Badmouthing Poseidons became popular after a previous US distributor fell down on the job, had no parts & charged through the nose for the parts they did have. Criticism of the distributor was certainly justified, but it wasn't the fault of the regulator.
Jetstreams can get adjusted down to where the cracking pressure is close to "imaginary".
Nowdays parts are easy to get & not all that expensive.
Poseidon has an Xstream w/5 LPs & 2 HP ports for folks that want to use singles.
The only negative about the new Xstream is that their 1st stages like to be kept clean while being worked on. Sand, eyelashes, etc can make mischief if it gets closed up in the innards.

I recently got a Posiden Cyklon. I takled to the guy at Discount Divers who services their regulators and he dives with a Cyklon. Brought my Dacor Viper to Aqua Labs for service and talked to the guy there who services the regulators and he said he dives with a Cyklon, dives 2 to 3 times per week, and hasn't touched it for 5 years. That Monday Discount Divers sent me their e-mail flyer and has $100.00 off on the Cyklon. That was enough of a sign to get the Poseiden. Been diving have about 100 dives and love the reg.

Back
Top Bottom