First Reg Choice Apeks XL4+ vs Deep6 Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cold is relative, there was another diver on the boat my week at scapa that used the xl4+ for BM doubles down to 50m on the battleships just fine, but the water was only like 8C to 10C. if you are planning to be ice diving, may want to start looking at a kraken DH, poseidon xstream, or apeks mtx-rc.

I had the XL4 reg set. I dive mostly in canada. Apeks are great but the xl4 set free flowed in cold water. There is a recall on a part for these regs. Even after playing with the adjustments by a technician and changing the part it would freeflow every time we tested it in cold water. I finally sold them and went with another apeks set.
They are good regs super small and light but it just didn’t hold up to our cold conditions. What is odd is they advertise them as cold water regs.

As extra info this summer a buddy of mine with another xl4 reg set was doing his aow and it fell into freeflow when we passed the coldest thermocline. About 4’c.

I like Apeks but do not recommend this specific set for cold Canadian waters.

I finally sold them and went with another apeks set.
What did you go with? XTX50?
That was my original choice, that then evolved into the XL4 vs Deep6 😅 I guess it's now Deep6 vs XTX50

What did you go with? XTX50?
That was my original choice, that then evolved into the XL4 vs Deep6 😅 I guess it's now Deep6 vs XTX50
I went with the XTX 200 primary reg and XTX 50 octo. The 200 and 50 are very similar.
I'm glad I changed, I really like the ones I have now and no issues at all. I went with Apeks because of performance and their reputation. Most of my local dive shops sell and service this brand in my area so that's a + for me.

Did you end up making a decision between the two? I am actually trying to decide between these exact two right now as well. I want lightweight, but I want a really good reg. Seems people have criticisms of both, but especially the xl4

Did you end up making a decision between the two? I am actually trying to decide between these exact two right now as well. I want lightweight, but I want a really good reg. Seems people have criticisms of both, but especially the xl4
If you're only diving in Florida, the XL4 is an OK, lightweight reg. They don't hold up in cold water though.

If you're going to do more training or move into more technical diving later on (or BP/W and Long Hose) I would go with the XTX50s.

I have decided not to go forward with the XL4, based on the comments I've seen about poor cold-water performance.

I am currently debating between XTX50 and Deep6, I am able to get both sets for pretty much the same price (without accounting for Black Friday prices). To get these prices I have to purchase the XTX50 from Europe and import it which simply removes the FPL which I do not really care for.

I have decided not to go forward with the XL4, based on the comments I've seen about poor cold-water performance.

I am currently debating between XTX50 and Deep6, I am able to get both sets for pretty much the same price (without accounting for Black Friday prices). To get these prices I have to purchase the XTX50 from Europe and import it which simply removes the FPL which I do not really care for.
Are you planning on servicing these yourself or getting a local shop to do it?

Deep6 I'd go with servicing them myself with the course, Apeks would be serviced at LDS.
To be quite blunt - support your LDS and buy from there.

I don't know what you do for a living but honestly I can't condone a new diver working on their own regs. In general, most divers have no idea about the magic that happens behind their heads (I appologise if you do). I'm sure the training and support Deep6 provides is adequate and their support great, but in the back of my mind I can't help but think how a good mentor can really help with this kind of stuff. Remember that this is life support equipment and you are going underwater.

I also can't really condone buying from another country when your LDS will provide you with the same equipment and a parts for life program, saving you some money in the long run. Buying Deep6 with great prices still means that your paying ~CAD$900 (plus import taxes? IDK, I got taxed on a pair of pants sent as a gift from my family 2 weeks ago), while for $200 more you can get the set you want from your LDS at MSRP. Same goes for buying an Apeks set from overseas (Don't just think I'm trashing Deep6 here).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom