First Reg Choice Apeks XL4+ vs Deep6 Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do purchase from Europe with no PFL spend another $20 and buy a IP gauge. With good cleaning procedures and regular checks with the IP you would probably be able to extend the service intervals. Many reg failures happen immediately after service.

With good cleaning procedures and regular checks with the IP you would probably be able to extend the service intervals.
... thus rendering the "benefit" of PFL moot.
How much do you save when you get free parts when you have to pay for an annual inspection or biennial service when you could have gone longer?

I'm careful with my regs. Boat crew doesn't get to do tank changes for me, so I don't get droplets of salt water inside. An annual tune for my second stages; an annual removal and replacement of the yoke or DIN bolt to remove verdigris. But new parts beyond a first stage sintered filter? Maybe five years for first stage and two years for second stage.

No. With today's engineering and CNC machining, as used by both Apeks AND Deep 6, PFL costs you money in unnecessary labor if you take care of your gear.

See @couv 's thread Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)

No. With today's engineering and CNC machining, as used by both Apeks AND Deep 6, PFL costs you money in unnecessary labor if you take care of your gear.
Exactly why I do not mind not having the PFL. At my LDS the tech told me it's an average of 120$/yr to keep the PFL up to date. (Inspection every year + Rebuild every other year) while he suggests if we dive less than 100 dives per year and don't abuse our regs, we can easily not have the rebuild every 2 years.

This. PFL is the way for them to make money on us. It's essentially a "subscription" service. Might work if you have one reg and make 200 dives a year on that one reg. If one has multiple sets it's a loss of money. AL at least provides a PFL, SP does not even provide PFL for the same inflated price. And people will keep buying outside of the NA.

I will support my LDS in other areas but not in this reg business.

...he suggests if we dive less than 100 dives per year and don't abuse our regs, we can easily not have the rebuild every 2 years.
You have a kind dive shop. Many manufacturers require you to have the bienniel service, in order to stay entitled to PFL. An inspection alone is not sufficient (Aqualung, for example). That is labor you shouldn't have to pay for.

You have a kind dive shop. Many manufacturers require you to have the bienniel service, in order to stay entitled to PFL. An inspection alone is not sufficient (Aqualung, for example). That is labor you shouldn't have to pay for.
My bad, I meant that if we didn't dive much, he suggests voiding the FPL and only servicing as needed, where we pay for parts. But he said there is no need to replace all the parts that FPL replaces every 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom