Ultimate Dive Truck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing, being an RV owner, I would consider a periodic cleaning of the fresh water tank (depending on use, higher use requies less required cleaning due to fresh water turnover). Once you get growth (alge, bacteria ...) it is harder to deal with. I assume it is just a plastic tank? Treat it like a RV system and a dose of Clorox, 1/4 cup for 15 gal of water, diluted in a gal of water before you add will do the trick. You don't have to go full blown sanitize so just an hour or so would be more than enough. Flush a few times to get residual clorine out.

Having water sit in tank for a long time will grow all sorts of stuff.

If metal tank, suggest you look into what could be used.

One thing, being an RV owner, I would consider a periodic cleaning of the fresh water tank (depending on use, higher use requies less required cleaning due to fresh water turnover). Once you get growth (alge, bacteria ...) it is harder to deal with. I assume it is just a plastic tank? Treat it like a RV system and a dose of Clorox, 1/4 cup for 15 gal of water, diluted in a gal of water before you add will do the trick. You don't have to go full blown sanitize so just an hour or so would be more than enough. Flush a few times to get residual clorine out.

Having water sit in tank for a long time will grow all sorts of stuff.

If metal tank, suggest you look into what could be used.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful input.
It's actually an 8 gallon aluminum tank, as is everything including locking mechanism and hinges, on the patent pending utility bed.

We will definitely be taking this into consideration. Thanks again

There is another potential angle on the electric or hybrid vehicle idea to consider, without taking the thread too far off on a tangent. Been awhile, so perhaps things have changed vs. what I've been told. First off, when considering environmental impact, you've got to consider what damage is done getting the materials to make the batteries, etc... A little quick Googling pulled up one link on that. An article I read years ago commented on the fact batteries have limited life and in vehicles can be pretty large and heavy; when the vehicle is older, resale value could be hampered if a hybrid has a mostly used up, heavy and hard and/or expensive-to-replace battery (that might get dumped on the island?). Plus if electric vehicles are more expensive up front, it might be more than a starting business can handle. Also have to wonder whether such vehicles would have parts that take longer and cost more to get to or on Bonaire.

Long story short: I'm skeptical that an electric truck fleet is going to work for this right now. Maybe someday.
There is another potential angle on the electric or hybrid vehicle idea to consider, without taking the thread too far off on a tangent. Been awhile, so perhaps things have changed vs. what I've been told. First off, when considering environmental impact, you've got to consider what damage is done getting the materials to make the batteries, etc... A little quick Googling pulled up one link on that. An article I read years ago commented on the fact batteries have limited life and in vehicles can be pretty large and heavy; when the vehicle is older, resale value could be hampered if a hybrid has a mostly used up, heavy and hard and/or expensive-to-replace battery (that might get dumped on the island?). Plus if electric vehicles are more expensive up front, it might be more than a starting business can handle. Also have to wonder whether such vehicles would have parts that take longer and cost more to get to or on Bonaire.

Long story short: I'm skeptical that an electric truck fleet is going to work for this right now. Maybe someday.

Work right now? Probably not. As Ford, VW, Rivian,Tesla and others move forward with competitively priced trucks we will see affordable models in the “low range” versions. Low range equals less expensive, less weight and faster charging. Bonaire doesn’t need 400 mile range.
As for batteries, nobody is putting “old” vehicle batteries in the dump. They are far too valuable and sought after. 10 year old Prius batteries no longer functional for vehicle use are in demand for photovoltaic systems where they can function for many years.
My intention with posting was about not seeing the forest for the trees. I’m sure we all want to see the oceans healthy for ourselves and future generations. Every liter of gas and diesel burned is hurting our planet, that’s a fact. I’m just advocating for burning fewer liters.

My idea of the Ultimate Dive truck is the one that will take you anywhere you may desire to go.......

p2993665939-5.jpg

Thanks so much for your thoughtful input.
It's actually an 8 gallon aluminum tank, as is everything including locking mechanism and hinges, on the patent pending utility bed.

We will definitely be taking this into consideration. Thanks again

DON'T use chlorine in an aluminum tank. Chlorine can have a corrosive effect on aluminum components. You will need to find a AL friendly solution.

it's basically $26 USD-ish more per day than regular rentals from avis, which is really pretty reasonable if you ask me...(well, not for me, because i'm happy to drive stick shift, so the $750 per week as oppose to $440 per week for shower and lock box is a touch more than i would be willing to pay...i'll use 2 litre bottles of water etc. and save the extra $310 per week...)

But i think it's a really enterprising idea and i hope you do well. with any luck it will disrupt the dive truck rental industry enough that we will see more of the same. Best of luck to you!

This is not drinking water so we may not have the same fresh water
it's basically $26 USD-ish more per day than regular rentals from avis, which is really pretty reasonable if you ask me...(well, not for me, because i'm happy to drive stick shift, so the $750 per week as oppose to $440 per week for shower and lock box is a touch more than i would be willing to pay...i'll use 2 litre bottles of water etc. and save the extra $310 per week...)

But i think it's a really enterprising idea and i hope you do well. with any luck it will disrupt the dive truck rental industry enough that we will see more of the same. Best of luck to you!

There's significantly more to the amenities than just a lock box and shower....t
I've personally found that the roll control upright tank positioning provides a boat dive set up which is much more comfortable and convenient (not to mention, possibly saving you from dropping a tank on your second stage out of the back of a tailgate).i
Plus, all divers can set up simultaneously without waiting.... it's a significant time savings.... especially if someone is doing multiple dives....

Maybe you'll decide to give it a try at some point....

Thanks so much for your interest in this thread..... Happy Diving

Work right now? Probably not. As Ford, VW, Rivian,Tesla and others move forward with competitively priced trucks we will see affordable models in the “low range” versions. Low range equals less expensive, less weight and faster charging. Bonaire doesn’t need 400 mile range.
As for batteries, nobody is putting “old” vehicle batteries in the dump. They are far too valuable and sought after. 10 year old Prius batteries no longer functional for vehicle use are in demand for photovoltaic systems where they can function for many years.
My intention with posting was about not seeing the forest for the trees. I’m sure we all want to see the oceans healthy for ourselves and future generations. Every liter of gas and diesel burned is hurting our planet, that’s a fact. I’m just advocating for burning fewer liters.
When do you propose to charge this electric vehicle?

Back
Top Bottom