Ultimate Dive Truck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looked into it and here are my thoughts.

1. Leave cellphone in condo. Don't need it even for a map. Small island. I can survive my hour SI not connected.
2. Fill empty 2 liter soda/ water bottles with water and leave in back of bed. Nice hot water rinse.
3. They are F150 crew cabs. Big trucks. Hard to park in town.
4. They are F150 trucks and burn alot of fuel. Fuel is VERY expensive.
5. Throw old dry clothes in back seat of pickup. It does not matter if someone is so desperate for clothes they steal old tee shirts.
6. I have a drybox for my money clip and CC's. I have a dry fob for my keys. Everyone takes wet money.
7. I am cheap.
We always bring an old collapsible cooler we pack in our suitcase. We freeze 1 liter bottles as ice/cold water. Pack a beverage and sandwich or snacks. Stop at food trucks also. BTB has area for wet people. Breeze and bites don't care about wet people. Donner Station wet no problem.

You take a drybox on your dive with you?
Yes. I have a dry box for money, Cc and DL. I use a dryfob for car keys.
My drybox is not rated but used it dozens of times to 90'. Flooded once but my fault since I had something lodged in seal. My dryfob is only for keys. .

I have used my drybox on am old cell phone (had one for diving and one back at condo). Was not worried about flooding phone since it was a 5 year old phone. If flooded I could switch Sims. (back when I worked and needed to keep in touch with the world). Now I leave it in the condo. Don't need to be connected to anyone but my wife who is my dive buddy.

I like the concept [custom made diving bed for pickup truck], but would prefer to see it applied to a Toyota Hi-Lux more than a Ford F-150, size and fuel economy being the key drivers. Hope the original owners made a profit and the current owners can maintain the biz. A Ford F-150 custom like this could have a niche market in the USA, think cave country.

They are overpriced and not needed on Bonaire, I think only 1 or 2 are still here. The original owners sold the business, I’m not sure who owns it now. Bonaire is best with “island beater” pickups for far less….

Hey five years sold the business something's going good

And but you still have to gear up one at a time in the dirt

1716538145637.png

or out of the cab in the dirt

1716538402916.png

The comparison is good

1716538476345.png

It's your first trip to Bonaire? You do realize that we all manage to deal with a phone, money, change of clothes and even a rinse, but most of us do all that without the Ultimate Dive Truck? Oh I think it's WAY cool, but there is no denying it's overkill. I guess it's like visiting Los Angeles and renting a Ferrari or even just a nice convertible. To some people, it's about the fun, not about the cost. Anyway, I know you're looking for firsthand reviews, not more opinions of its value to divers, so I'll shut up. :)
I hear you loud and clear, could be overkill. That's why I'm reaching out for folks who have used them. Our first trip so checking with the Bonaire pros if extras like this truck enhance the trip or are just gimmicky with no real better experience.

Looked into it and here are my thoughts.

1. Leave cellphone in condo. Don't need it even for a map. Small island. I can survive my hour SI not connected.
2. Fill empty 2 liter soda/ water bottles with water and leave in back of bed. Nice hot water rinse.
3. They are F150 crew cabs. Big trucks. Hard to park in town.
4. They are F150 crew cabs and burn ALOT of fuel. Fuel is VERY expensive.
5. Throw old dry clothes in back seat of pickup. If someone is so desperate for clothes they steal old tee shirts then they are welcome to it.
6. I have a drybox for my money clip and CC's. I have a dry fob for my keys. Everyone takes wet money.
7. I am cheap.
thanks for the tips. Interesting points on hard to park in town and the poor gas.

thanks for the tips. Interesting points on hard to park in town and the poor gas.

The roads on Bonaire are not built for F150 sized vehicles. I just got back and the people driving Fords are painfully obvious on the roads.

As others have said, you don't need a phone with you. You can carry money and a credit card in a little dry box. The key fob goes in a key fob holder. I supposed they could, but no one is stealing water bottles, rash guards, tshirts, shorts from your truck. No one stole my maui jim sunglasses, my hat, my shirts, flip flops or towels.

If you leave your window down while you dive you are basically signally you have nothing of value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom