Ultimate Dive Truck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brad J

Registered
Reaction score
Can someone please comment on their experience renting these trucks? Are they worth the higher pricing? Did you find the features greatly improved your diving experience?

I really like the ability to lock small items up during the dive.

First timer to Bonaire this summer so trying to decide on the rental truck options.

Thank you!

You might want to look at the original thread where the owners of UDT introduced it to the site. There's a few reviews/reports starting on page 11.

What is it that you feel you need to take with you that will need to be locked up? It's a pretty small island, and from most of the dive sites you might be an hour from your lodging at most.

Yep, I read through those. Truck seems like a really good idea. I'm very close to booking it and would like to hear of any recent experiences.

What is it that you feel you need to take with you that will need to be locked up? It's a pretty small island, and from most of the dive sites you might be an hour from your lodging at most.
phone, money, change of clothes. Rinse off feature seems convenient. Not have to get back to lodging if we want to do something else during the surface interval. Grab a light meal for example.

phone, money, change of clothes. Rinse off feature seems convenient. Not have to get back to lodging if we want to do something else during the surface interval. Grab a light meal for example.
I hear you, it's a very casual island, they take wet bills and cards dry off quickly. If you have to have a phone, pick up something used or cheap before you go, get a SIM card on island, keep your real phone at lodging.

If I was splitting the cost with another couple I might consider it and I've seen it in action and it does have increased functionality and I'm sure I would use it if I had it. Just ends up as a nice to have but not really needed sort of thing for me.

Yep, I read through those. Truck seems like a really good idea. I'm very close to booking it and would like to hear of any recent experiences.
I looked. No recent reviews here or even on reddit. We are a bunch of cheapskates when it comes to truck rentals (but not anything else) :)

You may have to avail yourself of the ever-questionable tripadvisor:
or the IMO somewhat more reliable Google Maps reviews:

Both of which are unanimous 5 stars.

Can someone please comment on their experience renting these trucks? Are they worth the higher pricing? Did you find the features greatly improved your diving experience?

I really like the ability to lock small items up during the dive.

First timer to Bonaire this summer so trying to decide on the rental truck options.

Thank you!
Not recent experience, but we know the couple that started that business and I did dive using their truck a few times, several years ago. They have since sold the business, and I don't know the new owners, but the trucks are set up well and do make shore diving more comfortable. Whether the amenities of the truck are worth the additional money over a standard rental is a very personal choice. A lot of folks are squeezing Lincoln to go, so every dime saved is a positive. If the additional cost fits in your budget, the UDT does deliver on features. Saw a couple of them running around when I was there recently; not sure how many are in the fleet now. I have use of a vehicle when I'm in Bonaire, so very rarely have need to rent anything but a car so my brother can go to work, when I'm using his truck to dive.

It's your first trip to Bonaire? You do realize that we all manage to deal with a phone, money, change of clothes and even a rinse, but most of us do all that without the Ultimate Dive Truck? Oh I think it's WAY cool, but there is no denying it's overkill. I guess it's like visiting Los Angeles and renting a Ferrari or even just a nice convertible. To some people, it's about the fun, not about the cost. Anyway, I know you're looking for firsthand reviews, not more opinions of its value to divers, so I'll shut up. :)

Looked into it and here are my thoughts.

1. Leave cellphone in condo. Don't need it even for a map. Small island. I can survive my hour SI not connected.
2. Fill empty 2 liter soda/ water bottles with water and leave in back of bed. Nice hot water rinse.
3. They are F150 crew cabs. Big trucks. Hard to park in town.
4. They are F150 crew cabs and burn ALOT of fuel. Fuel is VERY expensive.
5. Throw old dry clothes in back seat of pickup. If someone is so desperate for clothes they steal old tee shirts then they are welcome to it.
6. I have a drybox for my money clip and CC's. I have a dry fob for my keys. Everyone takes wet money.
7. I am cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom