U/W MP3 player - closeout deal from iRiver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm really glad everyone is so happy, but:

• I can't imagine wanting to fiddle with yet another widget underwater.
  • I enjoy the sounds of the underwater world. For me, part of diving is to get away from the topside noise.
  • Isn't this dangerous? How will you be able to hear your buddy distress signal (e.g. knife on tank) if you're jammin?

Solo,

Love the idea of the old ear muff head gear. I removed the plastic clips that came with the unit and made a set of SS hooks that go under my mask strap to hold them in place. They worked, but not that good. I think I'm going to try your idea and see how it works. Thanks for the pictures.

AstroDad:

• I enjoy the sounds of the underwater world. For me, part of diving is to get away from the topside noise.
  • Isn't this dangerous? How will you be able to hear your buddy distress signal (e.g. knife on tank) if you're jammin?

True, it does add to your task loading and I wouldn't use it during a tech or cave dive, but it is really cool listening to tunes underwater. The buddy thing is moot for me because I do most of my diving solo, but on a tech or cave dive with a buddy or a team, I think I would limit it's use to deco hangs. I'm going to look into downloading audio books just for that purpose, in fact . By the way, it doesn't block out ambient sound, you can still hear what's going on around you to some extent. Where I do a lot of my diving, there are always quite a few jet skis and small boats around. For the most part, they drown out the sounds of the underwater world since you can hear them from so far off. What the iriver does is mask a lot of the farther prop noises, but still allow you to hear them when they get close.

Hey...nice scope by the way. Looks like a Takahashi or Astro Physics. Astronomy is another of my passions too. I have a home built 8" Newtonian on a German eq. mount.
Wish I had more time to devote to it, but with work, family, diving, etc., there never seems to be enough hours in the day.

AstroDad:

There's no fiddling - You turn it on, set the volume, and don't touch it until you start your ascent.

The music beats the crackling sound of the brine shrimp in sea water. Other than that all I hear are my exhalation bubbles and I still hear them over the music.

You can still hear noise makers, banging noises, boat motors, etc. The headset doesn't go in your ears or completely cover them. I hear noise better with the music than I do with a hood on.

diversolo & Rob,

I accept your positions, but I just don't know. After a little more than 20 years of diving I recently bought my first dive computer, which is already more button pressing than I'm used to. I'm also aware that my own personal habits play into this too - my truck has one of those fancy xm/cd changer units in it and I almost never turn it on (I like the sound of a diesel engine:)).

diversolo,

Thanks. Yes, that scope is a Tak FSQ-106N astrograph riding on an AP 1200 mount (but not my truck in the bg). I also have a Tak EM200 mount, Tak Mewlon 250, custom re-built 5" refractor, a 10" f/6 newt (built by me and the daughter), a 10" f/5 astrograph (built by me) and a 12.5" DOB. I've been on the AP list for the 160 since Jan 2000 - I was hoping that it would be available this year, but it's looking like next year at this point. Yes, there is a 6+ year wait on AP scopes!

As far as time goes, I religiously go out on New Moon weekends. Me and a few buddies meet up with our travel trailers each month and leave the world behind for a few days. If it's clear weather, we stay up all night telling lies, taking pictures and oogling through each other's scopes. If it's cloudy, we just stay up all night telling lies. It's wonderbar. :) To that end, this coming weekend is New Moon - we'll be attempting to view/image that new comet in the Northern skies (Comet Swan). Visitors are always welcome (and it's free). I sure hope this weather holds out until then...

Diversolo - thanks for the tips and pics. I was thinking about putting a more tradiational headset holder on mine as well but wasn't sure it it was easier to bend some SS stock or use a headset from something else. The stock mask strap hooks are the 1st thing to go in any case.

Got mine. Looking forward to getting it in the water.

You folks who said it was Huge weren't saying the half of it. But without the housing the player itself is very small.

But why does each MP3 player only want to play nice with its' own computer program? Why isn't there a piece of software that will load any of the 4 brands that I now own? Oh well.

I have 2 of these, never opened. I need some money so I am selling them. $40 + Shipping.. PM Me if you are interested.

Hi,

I just bought a 'iriver Deep Dive case for iFP-700 series ' from iriver closeout deal special.

Was wondering, that this case was meant for iFp-700 series, how come the ones you guys gotten was the iFp-300 series?

Sorry, was just confused by the model. Are these 2 models different?

Thanks,
Honda

for some reason, it seems they dont sell the iFP-700 anymore...does anyone know where i can get one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom