Tying boltsnaps to backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities:
I'll wait for your thoughts on the product. :)

Michael

I think the Dive Rite is a 1W whereas the PT is a 3w, so the PT is probably brighter.

That being said, the PT is so bright I was able to give mine to a buddy the other afternoon and he was able to use it to signal in rather murky waters for the whole dive. And, I probably have ten hours on the batteries at this point, still going strong but I'll put fresh ones in soon.

Richard did the whole dive last night on his LED backup (his primary's in the shop). I was able to see the beam from it easily, even though I was using my Salvo 21W. I think he's using the UK S40 LED module, but I'm not sure.

dsteding:
I think the Dive Rite is a 1W whereas the PT is a 3w, so the PT is probably brighter.

That being said, the PT is so bright I was able to give mine to a buddy the other afternoon and he was able to use it to signal in rather murky waters for the whole dive. And, I probably have ten hours on the batteries at this point, still going strong but I'll put fresh ones in soon.

I've been using my PT LED as a primary light in OW until I can spring for a can light. Up until recently I haven't been diving with DIR divers so it hasn't been used for signalling, just sightseeing but even in shallow water with lots of ambient light the beam has been visible enough that it could be used for signalling.

limeyx:
What, you mean because you cant see them anymore?

if you go to a backup, you need to signal the rest of the team (side to side waving of light). Make *sure* they see that it's a backup light.

Re-arrange team and exit.

Exctly ... that's the correct procedure and the general basis for the argument. As it was described to me, there are some circumstances where it may be difficult to fully communicate to other team members that you've gone to backup; for example single file in a tight passage of a wreck. Furthermore, that it may not be obvious from your light signal alone what the problem was. That is, that the color and intensity of a bright LED backup may not be as easily discernible from a primary light compared to a traditional Scout light. In other words, it would be very obvious from the initial light signal alone what the problem is with a traditional Scout.

EDIT: I actually see that Jason B describes the scenario in better detail.

riguerin:
Exctly ... that's correct procedure and the basic basis for the argument. As it was described to me, there are some circumstances where it may be difficult to fully communicate to other team members that you've gone to backup; for example single file in a tight passage of a wreck. Furthermore, that it may not be obvious from your light signal alone what the problem was. That is, that the color and intensity of a bright LED backup may not be as easily discernible from a primary light versus traditional Scout light. In other words, it would be very obvious from the initial light signal alone what the problem is.

EDIT: I actually see that Jason B describes the scenario in better detail.

OK, take your scenario. Someone goes to their backup. The team is in a tight passage.

What are you going to do differently if you can tell a member is on a backup light? you can't re-order the team (passage is too tight -- and you'd better have cave2/full cave/wreck training to deal with restrictions where 2 divers cannot go side by side ...)

I think it is a non-issue compared to the positive of being able to see a backup light very very easily if it is LED.

I did not used to be convinced but then I saw a LED in action...

Wow, Dive Rite is making flashlights now? Are they fully adjustable?

muddiver:
Wow, Dive Rite is making flashlights now? Are they fully adjustable?
Sure are ... rumor has it they'll soon be marketing waterproof models too ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Doug,

What kind of a piss-poor buddy would need to steal YOUR backup light for a dive? :D

(fyi -- the said piss-poor buddy was in fact me, thanks to the defective cord on my 10w Halcyon)

lundysd:
Doug,

What kind of a piss-poor buddy would need to steal YOUR backup light for a dive? :D

(fyi -- the said piss-poor buddy was in fact me, thanks to the defective cord on my 10w Halcyon)

Indeed.

FWIW, I just ordered one of those OMS 3w LED VEGA backups. Twist on/off, uses CR123s, and is an aluminum bodied light with an attachment point on the end.

Sweet

Back in the day I bought one of those Dive Rite Handheld 10w HID lights. The beam was quite a bit brighter than I expected -- very focused, white light. I really like the idea of a handheld HID, and I may eventually try it again, but the one I got was defective and I just returned it for a refund

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom