Tying boltsnaps to backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkullDeformity:
Okay, so I'm going on a cave dive to theoretical land. I check to see both of my backup lights are bright and working as part of my pre-dive routine. What's the big deal? The chances of both of my backups being out, and my buddys' backup and light not working are tiny. I appreciate that LEDs have better battery life and and all, they're just too expensive for me to justify the cost on a pair of backup lights.
Everyone else was quoting you, so I wanted to join the bandwagon. :D

There is a balance point in the risk/reward/paranoia spectrum. It sounds like you are comfortable with your backup lights in the environments that you dive in. I think the real guideline is that they would work long enough to get you out of wherever you got yourself into.

When you really need them, it's cheaper to borrow them from your buddy :wink:

Here is an excerpt taken from Sheck Exley's Basic Cave Diving - A Blueprint for Survival "The best underwater lights will probably fail once in 50 dives, even when properly maintained...If you are using one light and make 100 dives, there is a 6.7% chance you will be in total darkness on at least one dive...If you have two lights, then the probability of both lights failing goes down to a 3.9% chance...But by taking 3 good lights, the chances of all three failing on one dive in 1000 dives to a 0.8%."
Now, we must realize this book was written many years ago and light technology has vastly improved so the odds may be even better in our favor. But just the same, do you want to risk being on that 0.0003 dive where you are without lights and not on the guideline?
I think the price of the lights is something we should bear because our life could depend on their reliability and brightness.

Carribeandiver:
Maybe I can turn them on, one at a time, in a dark room and see which one seems brightest. To make it realistic and because the room is obviously dry, I will wear a flooded mask for the test.:D :D :D

There is absolutely no comparison between my halogen scouts and my LED Heser...esp in a cave.

SkullDeformity:
I may be chumming the water here.

Backup lights are just that, backups, yeah? You use them for signaling and such if your main light died. LEDs are nice toys, but you really don't need them.

use both of them in a cave (LED and halogen) if you dont throw out the halogen I will be surprised.

also, when you use a backup, remember the rest of the team has HID lights -- the halogen gets really lost (from personal experience) the LED is much more easily seen by your buddies.

limeyx:
also, when you use a backup, remember the rest of the team has HID lights -- the halogen gets really lost (from personal experience) the LED is much more easily seen by your buddies.

I've actually heard this as an argument for using a halogen vs LED. It's very obvious when a team member goes to backup. Comments ?

riguerin:
I've actually heard this as an argument for using a halogen vs LED. It's very obvious when a team member goes to backup. Comments ?
I would rather have the reliability, longevity, and look-slick-ability of the LED. You could always signal your buddy or cover your light to let them know you've switched to the backups.

riguerin:
If your buddy didn't see your HID go out in the first place...

I'm not denying LEDs are nice, they are. But I can't justify spending 200 dollars on a backup light. There are so many other things I would rather put an extra 200 bucks to. Maybe my wallet will loosen up once I have a near death experience/get a real job.

I just ordered the Dive Rite LED backup light . . . It's twist-on, 2 C cell LED backup with a 50 hour burn time. If it's anywhere near as nice as the PT LED light, at $119 it was a steal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom