Tying boltsnaps to backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
Let us know how the beams compare with sweet lady H

No comparison, in my book. I picked up an LED scout from the LDS a while back. I was playing with it at home that night and was very unimpressed with beam focus and brightness, so I ordered a PT LED. When the PT showed up I had a chance to play with them side by side. The PT smoked the H. Much brighter, tighter beam, nicer on/off action. The H went back to the LDS the next day.

I may be chumming the water here.

Backup lights are just that, backups, yeah? You use them for signaling and such if your main light died. LEDs are nice toys, but you really don't need them.

You want to have the absolute most reliable backup light you can get. LEDs don't generally 'break' like standard bulbs can, and they last multiple thousands of hours. Plus, they're brighter. You're right, they're not "needed" but they're definitely nice.

dont need em? then why carry them? oh, to the contrary, I think they are very much needed.

SkullDeformity:
I may be chumming the water here.

Backup lights are just that, backups, yeah? You use them for signaling and such if your main light died. LEDs are nice toys, but you really don't need them.
You need them:
1) to look cool
2) in an overhead/night/spooky environment, if you ever had to go to your backup, you would want it to work
3) LEDs have much longer burn time and bulb life; and are pretty tough, which means they are more reliable

I burn tested my PT LEDs in a bucket of ice water- I stopped the test at 7 hours and they were still bright, and I was using NiMH batteries. :11:

Okay, so I'm going on a cave dive to theoretical land. I check to see both of my backup lights are bright and working as part of my pre-dive routine. What's the big deal? The chances of both of my backups being out, and my buddys' backup and light not working are tiny. I appreciate that LEDs have better battery life and and all, they're just too expensive for me to justify the cost on a pair of backup lights.

SkullDeformity:
Okay, so I'm going on a cave dive to theoretical land. I check to see both of my backup lights are bright and working as part of my pre-dive routine. What's the big deal? The chances of both of my backups being out, and my buddys' backup and light not working are tiny. I appreciate that LEDs have better battery life and and all, they're just too expensive for me to justify the cost on a pair of backup lights.
If you're going to be diving in a cave, my guess is that you're not going to be basing your choice of lights on how much they cost. And did you check those lights before or after you got in the water?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SkullDeformity:
Photon Torpedos: $98
Photon Torpedo LEDs: $138
Knowing that your lights will almost assuredly come on, every time, when you need them: $40. :wink:

Standard PTs are pretty tough; I've never heard any complaints...but for $40 more, you never have to worry about the bulb breaking when you need it most. Remember that a bulb is most likely to go out when it's first turned on. 2,000ft back in a cave isn't the time to find out that your bulb on your back light just died. Of course you should have two backups, along with your buddy having 2 as well. Although, the nonchalant attitude of "big deal we have a zillion lights" almost seems bordering on complacency.
When you really need them, you'd pay anything to have them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom