Tying boltsnaps to backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have an older or two back up lights they no longer use (that still works) they might want to hand off rather inexpensively? I'm looking to go used and fix/upgrade the unit if need be.

Michael

SkullDeformity:
You know, buying a used light for cheap and upgrading it to LED might be acceptable to budget. I wonder how much they go for used?
Well that depends on if you get a quality Halcyon, higher quality Photon Torpedo or one of those cheapo off brands Heser's.:D
(just messing with ya limeyx)

Not to be off topic but can those handheld Diverite 10W HID lights be fitted with a goodman or some other type of handsfree handle? Except for that tinsy little holding onto it all the time problem, I think it sure beats carrying around a heavy canister.

I like the techniques shown for tying off gear. My personal preference is a bit different because I like to keep my stuff attached at all times. I've lost too many wrenches on dives to 100' or 200' over a 450' bottom. It's not like you can just swim down and get it when you drop it.

Anyway, I use three strand Cord or rope and I splice a loop through the lanyard hole of the tool (dive light, wrench, camera, buddy, etc.) and I include a snap clip in that loop. On the other end I splice a loop that is large enough to slip the tool through. How it works is, you thread the Cord through a D ring on your rig (BC) and then pass the tool through the loop and pull tight. That provides an attached lanyard from the tool to your rig. Then you just snap the clip at the tool to a D ring on your rig and it wont be dangling between your legs. Make sure you make the lanyard long enough to stretch out the length of your arm so as not to restrict the use of the tool. Also use a Cord/rope that is easy to cut in case it gets tangled on something.

do it easy:

Hey all... I've been reading the above threads in between tying up some bolt snaps tonight. For my SPG I tied the diverite knot in the link mentioned many times. Seems solid.

For the primary reg boltsnap I used a tried and true constrictor knot. This knot has never failed me in a varied number of situations. In fact its the start of a turk's head which I've even used as a hose clamp in an emergency.

However in looking at my creation I see that the very Arrrr! knot I just tied is making an indentation in my nice new 5' hose.

Should I worry?

Is my knot too tight for this low pressure hose? Anyone ever had some line chafe through a hose?

Thanks much,

-Eric

limeyx:
OK, take your scenario. Someone goes to their backup. The team is in a tight passage.

What are you going to do differently if you can tell a member is on a backup light? you can't re-order the team (passage is too tight -- and you'd better have cave2/full cave/wreck training to deal with restrictions where 2 divers cannot go side by side ...)

I think it is a non-issue compared to the positive of being able to see a backup light very very easily if it is LED.

I did not used to be convinced but then I saw a LED in action...

Yes, that's correct - no change in how the team responds to the situation. Again, my understanding for the motivation behind the use of an easily identifiable traditional style Scout light are a.) earlier identification of dive terminating failure by the team and b.) more efficient communication of same. That's all.

Thanks again for your insight. The LEDs are definitely nice. I saw JeffG's retrofitted Scout in Catlaina last Fall. A very nice bright/tight beam.

riguerin:
Yes, that's correct - no change in how the team responds to the situation. Again, my understanding for the motivation behind the use of an easily identifiable traditional style Scout light are a.) earlier identification of dive terminating failure by the team and b.) more efficient communication of same. That's all.

Thanks again for your insight. The LEDs are definitely nice. I saw JeffG's retrofitted Scout in Catlaina last Fall. A very nice bright/tight beam.

I can almost see your point, but if I was in a wreck/cave, you can be sure as heck I am not going to rely on something like the change in power of a light to turn a dive ...
that person better be signaling me to end the dive.

If there is no change to how you respond then ... whats the purpose? Either you can turn around so there is plenty of room to signal, or you are in something so tight you cannot turn around and then ... well, you can't turn around to do anything about it anyway (or exit the dive) until you get to a less narrow spot ...

limeyx:
I can almost see your point, but if I was in a wreck/cave, you can be sure as heck I am not going to rely on something like the change in power of a light to turn a dive ...

I hope I'm reading this wrong but if I'm in a cave and my buddy's light dies and he goes on a back-up and he doesn't thumb the dive, you can believe I'm thumbing it, and probably won't dive with them again after that.

limeyx:
I can almost see your point,

Unfortunatlely, it's not an original idea, so I can't take credit for it :wink:

limeyx:
but if I was in a wreck/cave, you can be sure as heck I am not going to rely on something like the change in power of a light to turn a dive ...

Absolutely no disagreement there.

limeyx:
If there is no change to how you respond then ... whats the purpose? Either you can turn around so there is plenty of room to signal, or you are in something so tight you cannot turn around and then ... well, you can't turn around to do anything about it anyway (or exit the dive) until you get to a less narrow spot ...

Because it reduces the cumulative team stress level in a hairy situation, perhaps :huh: Even if "you are in something so tight you cannot turn around", and someone has been "signaling me to end the dive" , at least you know why you're turning the dive before you "get to a less narrow spot."

The argument seemed to make sense to me. FYI ... I'm not picking on you and I appreciate your competing viewpoint.

riguerin:
I've actually heard this as an argument for using a halogen vs LED. It's very obvious when a team member goes to backup. Comments ?
If you are relying on the reduced power of the light to end the dive, then wouldn't it be better to not use any backup light? That would be even more obvious.

Surely there must be a better way to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom