TUSA Platina Plus fins for women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI Neve

The Tusa is a Nice middle of the range fin, maybe a little stiff in the blade and therefore if you dont have strong legs they can tire rather quickly.

The buckles are not so good they are a pain to get on and off, I have seen people really struggle with them on boats. Also the foot pocket is very hard and they tend to lean towards cramps in the toes

If you purchasing from your LDS ask to take them for a dive and see how they feel.

You might want to compare them to the Mares Avanti, a similar size and priced fin with a much better buckle and a nice soft foot pocket.
http://www.mares.com/en/pinne/plaav_en.html

Or if you are a sucker for the latest try them aginst some fancy pants split fins that are all the rage at the moment.

Regards
Chris Holman
PADI MSDT
http://homepage.mac.com/sydney_diver

Can't find the same colour in any other brand/model....

Wanted to get the baby blue Scubapro Jetfins but the coloured ones have been discontinued, so no luck there :(

I have seen the Platina Plus fins and tried them on (dry), they're very very soft and this actually kind of worried me. Will they have enough propulsion power? Unfortunately LDSs here don't allow wet-testing (once it touches water you gotta buy 'em!).

Thanks for the comment, sydney_diver! What do you think of the split fins? What are you currently using?

I currently have budget TUSA fins (the Liberator X-Ten) and they have been pretty good so far.

Thanks Neve
Both my wife and I use Mares Plana Avanti Quattro's
They are bigger than the Avanti having 4 channels instead of two

http://www.mares.com/en/pinne/plaav4_en.html

They are more expensive but the difference in propulsion is very noticable. My wife and I are both very fit so we find the larger blade excellent. I have had mine for 6 years now and they still look brand new they are a very strong and robust fin

You will find the soft foot pocket on the Mares excellent and much more comfortable than your current fins. Have a play with the buckles in the shop on the Tusa and Mares and you will see what I mean about easy on easy off.

I have tested almost all the split fins on the market, as I get the same question often from students. I find them fine for diving in most conditions, I guess it is personal preference. I will say find a fellow diver with a pair and borrow them for a dive and make your own judgment on the fancy pants splits :D

I don't think I can be described as "fit" :wink: maybe fit to be tied but definitely not Xena-warrior princess kind of fit.

I have actually tried the Mares Avanti Quattro fins once... I didn't feel much difference to my current fins (maybe because I only used it for one dive). I did notice that they're heavier and I got a mild cramp at the end of the dive (see above comment about not being fit :( )

I may look around for divers with split fins (they're not very popular on this side of the world, I'm afraid) and probably try them out.

I'm also going to try bug my instructor so he lets me try his Jetfins (The Jetfins are sooo heavy they'll probably break my legs!! :eek: )

Sigh, I too am a sucker for colors & wish Scubapro would re-issue colored Jetfins. I was at a seminar about women in diving & the speaker had an important point about fins: we are better off building the leg strength to work with a moderately stiff fin with good propulsion than to buy easy-kicking fins that have no acceleration. Why? Because muscle burns calories & generates heat which keeps the woman diver warmer on her dives. It takes some lap-kicking outside of class of build the strength to handle a fin with great propulsion, & you don;t need to go to freediving fins, but I like the Jetfins & would not feel safe diving with something too wimpy to get me out of heavy surf fast.

I had the jet fins to start and found out real fast in heavy surf that my legs were too weak something I thought impossible since I have been an avid sculler(rower) and use my legs alot. As well
as work out with weight training doing leg presses. Anyway I had severe fatigue and cramping, I sold my jet fins and bought the
Tusa Expert Zooms, which I love. I now have the Scubapro Twin Jets as well, and I find that I do well with them too. I am keeping both pair and have one as back-up if needed.

I find that I do get good power and move well in surge and strong currents with them both. Ultimately I would say though that one should use what works well and is comfortable. Color to us women is more important than to men. I have given into the color schemes of Black with the blue accents since I couldn't get my gear with the colors I prefer.

If Quattro's aren't your cup of tea, then you might want to look at the Plana Avantis or the Volos. Also, there is the Dacor Tiger. The latter two are highly rated and give you lots of thrust for little work. In addition, they are not nearly as heavy as the Quattros.

A word of advice: the colour of the fins is irrelevant; it's how they perform that counts.

~SubMariner~

SubMariner once bubbled...

A word of advice: the colour of the fins is irrelevant; it's how they perform that counts.

~SubMariner~

Won't it be wonderful if I can find fins that combine both cute colour and great performance?

:)

Won't it be wonderful if I can find fins that combine both cute colour and great performance?

Please.. don't get me started on perpetuating stereotypes!
:frownshk:

~SubMariner~:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom