Fin color visibility underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LuckyLuke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys,

just wondering if anybody can share their experience with different colored fins underwater visibility.

I am looking to buy Apeks RK3's, but HD unfortunately dont come in white. As i would like to be seen underwater (probably bad choice of words:)), are the orange RK3's popping out underwater, or do they turn into a poop brown color?

Thank you,
Luka

Yellow is good.

All of them depend upon the visibility; it's something you recognise about the kit that may identify you from all the other divers. Try diving with two different colour fins.

White and yellow are good. My aqua coloured Fourth Element fins hold up really well too. Orange is usually ok, but they definitely fade faster than the aforementioned colours. Pink fades a lot quicker than the pink divers usually like to admit.
The depth at which they fade depends entirely on the light and visibility, as Wibble mentioned.

I wish white would have been included in this image...
buac20-vid-colorsunderwater-poster (1).png

After looking at this image again, I thought Yellow is better than this image suggests...

After looking at this image again, I thought Yellow is better than this image suggests...
That video is somewhat misleading as several of the plastic pieces are fluorescent which makes them fade a lot less than they really would. Reds should fade first, blues last, according to the colour spectrum.
1686236867437.png

More like black where I most frequently dive! Same in the more tidal cold seas around our coasts.

That photo was taken in "Blue" water, not "Green" water.

And as I said earlier; diving with two different colour fins is a great way to be recognised.

I had yellow fins, which very visible from quite far, but the apeks rk3 HD only comes in orange (and black and gray). The "standard" white rk3's are to soft (so I am told).

Apart from scubapros, which I dont like beacuse of the footpocket, I dont have other available options to try on. Everything else is online shopping.

I went for the hollis F1's for my teaching fins.
I have a pair of standard rk3's as well, and I really like them for a mid weight set. I haven't had a problem with them being too soft until I was sidemount in a drysuit with 4 tanks. Short of that, they aren't too soft.

Back
Top Bottom