Fin color visibility underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went for the hollis F1's for my teaching fins.
I have a pair of standard rk3's as well, and I really like them for a mid weight set. I haven't had a problem with them being too soft until I was sidemount in a drysuit with 4 tanks. Short of that, they aren't too soft.
As I wont use a drysuit, but a 7mm neopren, do you think standard rk3 (in white😀) might still be worth considering?

As I wont use a drysuit, but a 7mm neopren, do you think standard rk3 (in white😀) might still be worth considering?

What's the rest of your kit look like? Single, twins, SM, multiple stages?

White is the most visible.
But I’m not quite sure what exactly you’re trying to achieve, some seem to understood you want to be identifiable in a group of visible divers, others think you dont want divers to lose sight of you. Anyway, a light will have far better “reach” than gear color, if that’s what you want. At times when a diver is completely out of sight, no matter what color gear, the beam of a flashlight is still visible if pointed in the direction of the looker.
When I guide in low viz, I brief the group I’ll be doing my best impersonation of a light house underwater, and every so often, shine the light around in the general direction of where the divers are expected to be.

What's the rest of your kit look like? Single, twins, SM, multiple stages?
Nothing fancy, just a single tank. I do recreational diving but I love to dive wrecks and also have a tendency to stick my head in every nook and crany, so I am working to master my frog kick skills.

White is the most visible.
But I’m not quite sure what exactly you’re trying to achieve, some seem to understood you want to be identifiable in a group of visible divers, others think you dont want divers to lose sight of you. Anyway, a light will have far better “reach” than gear color, if that’s what you want. At times when a diver is completely out of sight, no matter what color gear, the beam of a flashlight is still visible if pointed in the direction of the looker.
When I guide in low viz, I brief the group I’ll be doing my best impersonation of a light house underwater, and every so often, shine the light around in the general direction of where the divers are expected to be.
Solid point on the light. Maybe unreasonable for some, but I tend to feel better knowing I am both Identifiable an visible, as in someone could see my white fins in a low light setting.

My first instructor had silver(ish) fins, which were visible from a mile away, and somehow it stuck.

My bright Orange ScubaPro Seawing Nova Gorillas get many compliments for their visibility in our local dark green Pacific Northwest waters.

Solid point on the light. Maybe unreasonable for some, but I tend to feel better knowing I am both Identifiable an visible, as in someone could see my white fins in a low light setting.

My first instructor had silver(ish) fins, which were visible from a mile away, and somehow it stuck.
That’s fine, I wasn’t passing judgement on that, just wanted clarity on it as those can be achieved quite differently, and one having no effect on the other.

Hi guys,

just wondering if anybody can share their experience with different colored fins underwater visibility.

I am looking to buy Apeks RK3's, but HD unfortunately dont come in white. As i would like to be seen underwater (probably bad choice of words:)), are the orange RK3's popping out underwater, or do they turn into a poop brown color?

Thank you,
Luka
Here is the research answer to the OP's questions, which very nicely notes that "neon" (i.e., fluorescent) versus non-neon colors is a critical distinction. Also critical is the kind of water. The tests were run in four kinds of water: the Thames River (near New london, CT), Long Island Sound, the Gulf of Mexico, and Morrison Springs.
In general, fluorescent orange and plain white are the most visible. Their more detailed summary is:

SUMMARY
I. The colors that are easiest to see underwater at the limits of visibility with natural illumination and a water background are as follows:​
(1) For rivers, harbors, and other turbid bodies of water, fluorescent orange is the most visible. Non-fluorescent colors of good visibility are white, yellow, orange, and red.​
(2) For coastal waters of mediocre clarity, fluorescent green and fluorescent orange are superior. White, yellow, and orange are the best non-fluorescent colors.​
(3) For clear water, fluorescent greens and white are the best choice. As the clarity of the water is increased, with a consequent increase of viewing distance, the most visible color will change from yellow-green to green to blue-green.​
(4) Fluorescent materials are superior to nonlluoresccnt materials of the same color in all bodies of water. White is the best non-fluorescent material in all bodies of water.​
II. The most difficult colors to see at the limits of visibility under natural illumination and a water background are gray and black. Others that have poor visibility are those whose major spectra! components are absorbed by the water; i.e., orange and red in clear water and blue and green in murky water.​
III. Only a limited number of colors will not be confused with other colors underwater. To avoid confusions, if absolute identification is important, the following combinations are suggested:​
(1) Green, orange and black.​
(2) Blue, green, orange and black in clear water. (Avoid black and red together.)​
(3) Green, yellow, red, and black in murky water. (Avoid blue and black together.)​

Attachments

• AD0661156.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 78
Nothing fancy, just a single tank. I do recreational diving but I love to dive wrecks and also have a tendency to stick my head in every nook and crany, so I am working to master my frog kick skills.

Yeah, I would say the standard rk3's would be enough. I dive them single tank in a 7mm with no problems.
Some people prefer stiffer fins, but I think these are a good middle ground. Not too heavy and not too stiff. They definitely have some flex to them, but not so much that they lose effectiveness in a lighter kit.

That’s fine, I wasn’t passing judgement on that, just wanted clarity on it as those can be achieved quite differently, and one having no effect on the other.

Yeah, I would say the standard rk3's would be enough. I dive them single tank in a 7mm with no problems.
Some people prefer stiffer fins, but I think these are a good middle ground. Not too heavy and not too stiff. They definitely have some flex to them, but not so much that they lose effectiveness in a lighter kit.
Thank you!

Now I just have to read the above study and make my choice😀

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom