Apeks RK3 or Dive Rite XT fins for drysuit/wetsuit cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scgilk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I recently had the HOG Tech 2 fins and they were great stiffness just too heavy. I used them for both wetsuit and drysuit diving and the foot pocket fit great for both. I recently bought the APEKS RK3 super and I think the foot pocket is too big. I was thinking of sending them back and replacing them with a size L. I will be using these fins for cave diving in both a wetsuit and drysuit (Seac Sub rock boots HD). I have seen so much about the Dive Rite XT's and was wondering how the stiffness compares to the HOG and whether I should just order a different size in the RK3's or purchase the XT's instead.

So I recently had the HOG Tech 2 fins and they were great stiffness just too heavy. I used them for both wetsuit and drysuit diving and the foot pocket fit great for both. I recently bought the APEKS RK3 super and I think the foot pocket is too big. I was thinking of sending them back and replacing them with a size L. I will be using these fins for cave diving in both a wetsuit and drysuit (Seac Sub rock boots HD). I have seen so much about the Dive Rite XT's and was wondering how the stiffness compares to the HOG and whether I should just order a different size in the RK3's or purchase the XT's instead.

I can't speak to the XT's, but recently bought a pair of RK3 HD having used Hollis F1's for the last five years. Whilst liking the F1's, I did find them a little heavy and cumbersome, particularly in XXL. I eventually went for the RK3 HD having tried out both the normal and HD (higher density) in the pool. Frankly the standards were a little light. Just like Goldilocks, the HD was somewhere in the middle and 'just right' :)

Regarding size, I'm a UK 11 and Super is the right size for my drysuit boots. There's a little bit of give if I'm wearing wetsuit booties, but it's manageable.

I would go with the RK3's as they are considerably shorter than the XT's. But then, I'm a clumsy oaf so you might do better than me with longer fins. The RK3's are plenty powerful for cave.

Back
Top Bottom