TUSA Platina Plus fins for women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...as they should be. I'm not terribly weak, either, but leg strength is definitely an issue for me when I use stiffer fins. Ideally, I should go the the gym and pool to make them stronger (and I do plan to) but in the meantime, here are a couple of alternatives that work well and probably won't cramp your legs as much as the stiff fins might:

For a relatively inexpensive, very good mid-grade fin, I HIGHLY recommend Aeris Velocities. They are vented in the middle, which gives them some of the ease of motion found with split-fins, but are a little better for turning, and cost MUCH less. They usually run about $90 in the U.S. No baby blue, but they do come in blue, bright yellow, and bright green. I have a pair which I use whenever I dive in a wetsuit, and I like them a lot.

For split fins, which give more speed for less effort, I recommend Apollo Bio fins. They come in a nice bright blue and in black. I use these fins when I dive with a drysuit (I needed a bigger size fin when I got my drysuit because the boot on it was too big to fit into the pair of Velocities that I already had), and I like them as much, if not more than my Velocities. They are much more expensive than the Velocities, because they are split fins, and all split fins have to pay royalties to the patent-holder for the original split-fin design. The Apollo Bio fins run about $195.

As far as split fins go, I really like my Apollo's because the material is so flexible. It feels almost like kicking air, and yet my speed in them is far greater than in other fins. I have never had a leg cramp while using Apollo's. Some people don't like the split fins in general because they are less maneuverable, although I don't think the difference is great enough to be important to most recreational divers. I've never had a problem with them, and I use them frequently. If you're interested, there are lots of threads on the pros and cons of split-fins vs. regular fins in the fin section of scubaboard.

Another popular type of split-fins which I DON'T recommend for someone who may not have strong legs is the Atomic Aquatics Split fin. The blades on the Atomics are larger and stiffer than on most other split fins, which makes them perform a little more like standard fins in terms of turning and kick style. When I used them, I found them overly stiff and I got leg cramps using them, presumeably because my leg muscles were not well-developed (strong) enough, although maybe my kicking style was not well suited to them. Most men I know, and some women who are pretty fit do like the Atomics, though. There are other split fins that are soft like the Apollo Bios. One is the V-Tec, which is made by Aqualung, I think. I haven't tried them, but I've heard that their performance is similar to the Apollo Bios, and are almost as expensive.

As stated earlier, the best thing to do is to get your legs into better shape. However, if leg strength is currently a problem with some fins, I think the Aeris Velocities ot the Apollo Bios (or similar SOFT split-fin) are great options!

I hope this is helpful!

otter-cat

i'm an a.i., and i have been through countless classes with countless women who could not handle the platina -- which the guys at the LDS persisted in recommending.

these women came in all weights, shapes and sizes, but their legs were not particularly muscular.

(as for me, i alternate between avanti quattros and bio-fins, depending on my mood. also, my quattros are lime green so i feel a little more visible/safer in them than in my black bio-fins.)

judy

I just won a pair of Platinas! Now I guess I know why the dive shop was willing to donate them for the raffle. Divemistress, what kind of person CAN benefit form these fins? I do not want to sell them to a "pawn." (Oh, they are not the baby blue, but rather the royal blue.) And I DO think color is cool, not just for fashion reasons, but to identify one's own gear in a sea of black "stuff" on a boat.

hi art.chick,

this gift horse may not be all bad. :))

first, can you use a new pair of fins?

second, i've gotten the impression, through reading the boards, that you're fairly strong. maybe not jacqueline lalane, but active. if your leg muscles are reasonably strong - if you hike, bike, walk or run - then these may well work for you.

i've never tried a pair -- no one ever had one big enough for my size 11 feet :-( but i use avanti quattros, and it's hard for me to believe the tusas require as much strength as the mares, which are longer and stiffer.

so keep 'em if you think you can use them. if you can't, you don't need to look for a macha woman. just one with reasonably strong legs. frankly, i was surprised when so many women found the tusas unusable.

hope this makes sense!

judy

p.s. when the thread first started, i didn't notice we were talking about patina pluses. i was referring to platinas. knowing marketer's fondness for name changes, i imagine there's not a whole lot of difference. but if i'm wrong, please speak up!

I felt kinda funny because I want all of my stuff to match. The guys at my LDS kinda chuckled at me when I said I wanted neon yellow for everything. I know color isn't the most important factor but if it works just as well it might as well be cute. I know diving will never be a fasion statement, but I really like the color of those fins.

Jessica

I DID try them in the pool, & they were not bad. They actually made my Rocket Fins feel very heavy!

I have mentioned color many times myself & I will go there again. There are practical reasons to have a nice, visible, matching kit. If you are on a boat & have all yellow stuff,, it is harder to go home with the wrong size black fins that look just like yours. You are identifiable underwater. People remember you if you seem to be missing in action ("Where is the lady in Yellow?") - I learned that in the Teen pageant circuit years ago! A color theme does not have to keep you from having good equipment. I would actually like to see manufacturers make more color variations on some of their most popular items. It is a pain to be washing gear in a large group & have to look at all the size tags of every Hyperstretch wetsuit.

What's wrong with wanting fins that combine style AND performance?

What's right about dismissing others' personal, harmless desires?

Heaven forbid that men and women be forced to think, act and dress alike.

Vive la difference!

:bounce:

SubMariner once bubbled...

Please.. don't get me started on perpetuating stereotypes!
:frownshk:

~SubMariner~:

I think even the guys can agree that there is a time for color to be a consideration in gear purchases.

My husband's dry suit is bright orange on the top. This is good for a DM because the instructor can ask a certain number of students to work with the "pumpkin".

I've appreciated his choice on more than once occaision when I've been bubble watching, as he's easy to spot on the surface amidst all the "blue" guys who dive out of his shop.

During my first OW class, my instructor had us kind of "color coded" - we were easier to ID with different color gear. Not only is the gear easier to identify (no one will touch my pink Blades) but so is the diver.

You lead; I'll follow. I know I will not lose those nice bright fins even in the deepest kelp!

Back
Top Bottom