Allrounder Fins for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juli124

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been certified for a long time but haven't really dived more than just 2-5 dives here and there every couple years in the past 10 years.
I've always rented most equipment but as I'm now going on my first real dive vacation since forever ago, I have now accumulated mask, snorkel and wetsuit. :)
I'm thinking about completing the set with some soft soled booties and fins.

I would love to get your input/recommendations on what fins would work best for me. I used to flutter kick but want to try more frog kicking. We'll be diving Raja Ampat (ahhhhhh! so excited!) next month so I want fins that work well in currents.
It would be great if they weren't the biggest/heaviest fins on the market as I'll be traveling with them but that's secondary to function, really.

I'd say, i'm a pretty decent swimmer and generally strong. Don't know if that is even important, when choosing fins. I'm pretty clueless. :D

I've had my eyes on the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus (they seem like the kind of boring but great allrounder?^^) and the Seawing Novas (that make my "ooh look, fancy" radar go off). Am I overlooking any other great allrounder fins?

Thanks in advance! :)

Deep 6 Eddy has most comfortable foot pocket I have ever seen, super light weight and most importantly looks pretty cool.

Also allows you to do precise movements with your advanced kicks I.e. frog, helicopter, back kick etc.

Edit; Tecline Lightjets are “probably” identical to Eddy and easier to find in Europe.

I used to own Mares Avanti Quattro plus and I liked them. Not too heavy for travel and good for various finning techniques, but I had an issue with the clip coming off, which put me off, and they are quite long so not great for packing for travel and can be a bit awkward on a small boat or in a wreck. Maybe minor issues for some, but I ended up selling them and getting some Apeks RK3s.
The RK3s are a little heavier than the Avanti Quattros I believe, but still fine for travel. They're short and wide and great for all finning styles in my experience. I really enjoy diving with mine - like an extension of my foot. I've used them in some pretty strong currents and they were fine.
Another option might be Scubapro go sport fins. They're about the same size as the RK3s but much lighter. My wife has a pair and likes them. She hasn't used them in any significant current yet so not sure how they would perform. I've used hers for snorkelling (barefoot so they fit me) and they're great!
Btw, I'm not even sure you can buy the Deep 6 Eddy fins easily in Germany/Europe (you can't in the UK), and would be very expensive even if you can. Mind you, the price of fins (everything) have gone up a lot recently!!
Good luck with your search, and enjoy Raja Ampat - you lucky thing!!

My wife and I both use the Avanti Quattro fins and love them. The only time I've had a problem with the strap coming off is when I used a flat bungee strap that was attached by placing the knob thru a hole in the strap. After a couple of times of that happening, I switched to bungees that lock on and they haven't come off since.

Deep 6 Eddys ship from the US. Shipping is very expensive for anyone outside the US.

I've used Mares Quattro for 20 years and they're great. They have done pretty awesome colors in women's sizes too. My wife will be getting a set of these if she ever figures out her equalizing problems.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220610-055135_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220610-055135_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 76
I'm guessing you will be using a flutter kick. In that case the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus is a great choice. It's a fin used by almost every type of diver all over the world.
I would shy away from stiffer tech/jet styles fins, unless you are doing frog kicks most of the time. They can be hard on the legs for flutter kicks....especially swimming against any current.

try the Scubapro sport fins. I've heard very good things about them. Personally, I dive the Eddy's and love them but that's mostly because I dive in Converse All Stars and needed the bigger foot pocket. I find most of SP stuff more designed for those people of less robust stature than myself.

I've used Mares Quattro for 20 years and they're great. They have done pretty awesome colors in women's sizes too. My wife will be getting a set of these if she ever figures out her equalizing problems.
Ouhhhh! they're pretty!! :D
Thanks, that sounds great!

I'm guessing you will be using a flutter kick. In that case the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus is a great choice. It's a fin used by almost every type of diver all over the world.
I would shy away from stiffer tech/jet styles fins, unless you are doing frog kicks most of the time. They can be hard on the legs for flutter kicks....especially swimming against any current.
I've read a lot about fins these past days but never really quite grasped the different use cases. This is the best explanation I've come across so far. Thank you! And yes, so far I've only ever flutter kicked. But as I'm learning more, I want to try different finning techniques as well.

I've heard mixed things about the Scubapro Go Sport with regards to currents. Does anyone have any experience here?

And: is there a major difference between the Seawing Novas and the Mares Quattro or is it more or less a style question?

Thanks so much everyone for your help!

Quattro are tried true. I still use the same pair I bought in 2001. I have 3 other pairs of "long fins" and always go back to my Quattros. I do have 2 pair of 1970s navy jet fins from my parents I want to get wet but for now I can move fast or slow regardless of what the water is doing with my mares. Just my 2 psi.

Back
Top Bottom