TSD May 17-18 UW Cleanup at Lake Murray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Planning Stages......Let's see if we can get something going here for our dive club....

June 21, 2008
Texas Swamp Divers Goes Green!!!!

Locations could include, maybe just two or three or five, i dunno:

Clear Springs Scuba Park
Mammoth Scuba Park
Lake Travis - Windy Point or Mansfield Dam your choice
Balmorhea
Aquarena Springs
Athens Scuba Park
The Blue Lagoon
Marietta Landing, Lake Murray
Flower Gardens
The Texas Clipper

We have a chairperson at each park and a committee of people willing to help, cook, recycle, organize food, organize drinks, organize cleanup underwater and on land, organize kids games, official photographer on land and underwater, instructors willing to hone skills, have a bouyancy clinic, etc. I know a writer on this board ( Scubatexan) and that can type us up a nice article and we can submit it with a collage of pictures to Dive Training magazine, local newspapers, or any scuba magazine. You know get the word out the scuba is a family friendly event, we are conservationists, we are mentors to each other, willing and able to improve the diving community as a whole.

That sounds like a great idea. Count me and my wife in.

Jay

Let's try and narrow down the water holes we want to have the event at, then we can create the teams to handle the logistics at each camp.

I will start, I vote for Clear Springs Scuba Park as one of the event areas.

I vote for Lake Murray! This may be a stupid question, but why do we have to have more than one location?

Rhonda

Well I came up with the idea of more than one location so we could accomodate as many divers as possible. Not everyone can or wants to travel. We may get more participation if we have 3 or so locations. I am thinking one down south ( the Houston/Galveston area) , one west for the Austin/San Antonio area, and one north central ( DFW metroplex) and or maybe even one way out West ( Balmorhea). I would like to see it as a day event and if anyone wants to camp and such they can make it a weekend event. We could possible attract some attention and get some other divers in the water and maybe spark some interest in local diving with their clubs or dive shops.

I vote for Clear Springs :)

I would vote for one of the public use areas rather than a private scuba park. Lake Travis (Mansfield dam), Balmorhea, Lake Murray (I guess that is swampland too), Dallas area has numerous lakes. Granted the diving wouldn't be all that great but the PR would be.

Now you can throw my vote out if you want as I am still a Swamper wanna-be as I have not knowingly dove with any Swampers. Still I would be willing to bring a group from Palestine to wherever it is decided to go and then maybe can become official.

Sounds like a fun idea! :)

Let's say then ...

Lake Travis - South/West Texas
Clear Springs Scuba Park- North Texas
Lake Murray- East Texas

Does that sound good or should we add in one more?

Back
Top Bottom