Artic Dive & Wine & Cheese Contest - Lake Murray, Feb 24-25th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggie:
Sounds like a marriage made in heaven, bbq'd balogne and Texas wines, and cold water!

Be sure and bring your wine from Texas. They sell the watered-down version in Oklahoma.

Brandon:
Dammit, I think I forgot not to mess with Texas.

-B.

Dang right you did! Here's some Texas divin facts for ya:

1. We spell arctic any way we dang well please. Heck we spell anything the way we please.

2. Anything north of the Red river can be considered artic if its dove (dived?, divin??) between November and April.

3. Any water colder than 65 can be considered artic. We don't need no ice cap to tell us its colder than heck!

4. Being north of the Red river, its gotta be higher than here. Does Lake Murray qualify for altitude divin?

5. If y'all come on down an dive with us we might let you call yerself a honorary Swamper.

I do believe I'll pack up the tent and what ever scrap wood and underbrush I can find to offer up for the big fire and come up to Lake Murray on Saturday & Sunday.
Shoot... I'm up there almost every weekend anyway so why not go
next weekend too ! Should the weather allow it I might load up the big telescope too since the sky is pretty dark there.

Last year I was the first person there on Friday night (and the only person too)
rain rain rain rain rain rain RAIN !!!! Danged, I had to just sleep in the truck.
Lets hope for good weather this year .

BTW... Mack Diver : Lake Murray does qualify as an "Attitude Dive"

Just for the record, I am officially a Texas Ice Diver. Yep. Ice overhead, or hard water as we ice divers like to call it. Lake Okoboji, Iowa, two weeks ago. Ice temp: ????.

Water temp: 32 F
Air temp: -10 F (that's below zero)
And no. That ain't the wind chill. Wind was blowin' 15 to 20 mph.

But alas! I can't make the Murray dive this year. I will be tendin' to a weddin' in Naw 'Leans.

JR

JR

richerso:
But alas! I can't make the Murray dive this year. I will be tendin' to a weddin' in Naw 'Leans.

JR

JR

John did you go and get married... :eyebrow: :wink:

Wow, this event has some perfect weather today! Bet yall had a blast, please report soon!

Report:

Big Fire
great folks, some were almost as beautiful as me too
TexDiveGuy stopped by
I got to meet 2 new swampers !
great BBQ beef, pork, sausage, peppers.
no ToFu , no Rice Cakes, no non Trans Fat foods
Friendly Large Dogs
Hot Pies !
Silent auction
People with English Accents
People with New York Accents
People like Us from Texas with no Accents
Buy a ticket maybe win a prize maybe not
respectful children 5 to 70 years of age
Live Reptile show with large snakes and lizards
early morning Geese honking that woke us up
44 degree water ~~ it has warmed since a couple of weeks ago
GeoPhysical teams everywhere setting up earthquake equipment
Huge Dust Storm !!!
Big Time Wind !!!
Waves big enough to Surf
Classic Rock Music ( Welcome to the Jungle Baby !! :14: )
I had a sweet 56min Solo Dive
Excellent Wine & Cheese
A Pretty darned good Tropical Rum being passed around called Big Black ****
Indoor plumbing & Hot water showers !
4 new dive magazines to read before bed by lantern light
Easy sleeping in warm a Goose Down sleeping bag
Delight of a Park Ranger ( she really was nice)
An actual Andrea Doria diver in the bunch
easy sleeping for a campground thats for sure
gallons of hot coffee in the morning !!!
bright Sushine on the way home.

Only 364 days till the next one :D

Okay, so I need to add my report of the weekend.

The camping was great. Meeting people was great. The first chilly dive Saturday, well, er, let's just say it was a learning experience for Jcchapman and I. It was defenitely a weekend of firsts for us:

1) First time diving a 7 mm suit
2) First time diving in 45 degree water
3) First time hauling out a dive flag
4) First time my buddy and I got seperated. (Several times) Might have had something to do with the 2-1/2 - 3 foot swells along with visibility being less 3-5 feet!
5) First time meeting a bunch of divers from the area.
6) First time to Lake Murray

Hopefully John will see this and add his lists of firsts. It was a great time.

And did anyone see that d*** goose?? It must have been 2 foot off the ground, I could hear the wind in his feathers!!

Ok, I made 6 dives over the two days for a total of 1:54 minutes. Some short due to the Open Water student I had, but two were close to 25 minutes each. Water temp 45 at the surface, 44 at 18 and 43 at 65. Vis was 3-5'. But heck, divin is divin, and a bunch of nice folks and good food. So what if we dove in a dust storm yesterday, how many can say they dove in Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle at the same time?

Enjoyed meeting you Kunk35, Jchapman3, and as usual always good to see you Timeliner.

Lessee... what can I add to what I posted under the Lake Murray Report thread in addtion to Kory's posts ...

Firsts:
1) First time swiming in a giant ice chest...
2) Not the first time to be woke up by geese (long story)
3) First time in a semi-dry suit
4) First time to loose something...my snorkel; although I consider it more of a sacrifice to the scuba god. (Kory, you failed to mention your loss...)
5) First time that I wanted to end a dive before I was at my half air mark. (boyancy, waves, vis, disoriented, lost my buddy twice...in 10 minutes!)
6) First time hanging out with such a large scuba group (dug that).
7) First time I've met another watch nut (and the unimaginable fact that he knew the internal workings of an Accutron!) in non-watch circles.
8) First time of complaining of being cold since I left Montana...I failed to purchase cold water gloves...so I roughed it with my reef gloves...bbbrrrr.
9) First time my buddy and I explored water we'd never seen (or been led through)
10) First time we found things underwater that weren't pointed out where they were ahead of time.
11) The first time that I actually considered that the air quality below the waves was substantially better than that above...Man that was a dust storm, even by Okiehoma standards, and I spent 18 years there.
11) The first time I felt really good about a dive...Sunday's dive absolutely rocked.

I think that about covers it. The rest of y'all... you need to mark your calendards for this shindig for next year; these guys know how to throw a party; and Lake Murray is a nice park. I've got pictures here: http://www.intellectualdimensions.com/jc3/scuba/lakemurray

Back
Top Bottom