Artic Dive & Wine & Cheese Contest - Lake Murray, Feb 24-25th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UndrWatrDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The Diving Rebels, Scubadillo's, and Reef Riders Scuba Clubs are hosting a dive at Lake Murray Feb 24-25th. The annual February Artic Dive / Wine and Cheese Party will be at Marietta Landing Park on Lake Murray in southern Oklahoma.

Tickets: Advance ticket purchase is available for $10. Tickets purchased after February 19 or on at the day of the event will be $14, still a bargain for all the food and fun that you will be experiencing. The tickets are for a dinner to be held at approximately 4pm which will include Smoked Beef Brisket, Sausage, Chicken, baked bean and much more, BYOB

Activities: A raffle and silent auction for many great items that you can use for diving and camping will also be held.

Wine & Cheese: Scour your wine cellar or favorite liquor store to bring your best / worst red and white wines, as well as best cheese, for the judging that we will have that day. Also, we need judges, so if you are not a contest participant and would like to judge, please let me know. Prizes will be given to the winners.

Bonfire: Be sure to bring just about anything made of wood to burn in the bonfire. (No burn ban in effect at this time.)

Lodging: All standard rooms at the resort have been taken by a square dance group. However, some cabins are to be released after Feb. 12th. Cabins are as follows: 2-person @ $43/night; 4-person @ $68/night ($88 for lakefront); 6-person @ $125 and 8-person @ $165. (Sharing brings the cost to $17-21/person) Call Marsha at 800-257-0322 after Feb 12th. Otherwise, plenty of camping space with heated restrooms is available at Marietta Landing. Sites w/water & electricity are $15 & $18. Tent sites w/o are $8.

Other activities: We are hoping to have dry suit representatives there with suits available to try at no cost. This is a great way to dive Lake Murray in February. As usual, there will be much camaraderie and story telling.

For maps please visit our website at: www.divingrebels.org

FOR GENERAL INFORMATION AND TICKETS, PLEASE CONTACT
Jim or Linda Magnuson, Diving Rebels, (817) 540-2950,
Steve Sadler, Scubadillos, (817) 680-2823,
Keith Weber, Reef Riders, (817) 581-9010

Sounds like a marriage made in heaven, bbq'd balogne and Texas wines, and cold water!

I object to this so-called 'artic diving', for three reasons:

1) You spelled Arctic wrong.

2) Texas isn't even anywhere near the Arctic! You're thousands of miles away!

3) And "cold water" diving? Bah! What's cold water in Texas... 50 degrees? That's like a bathtub compared to the Arctic! If the water's surface isn't frozen, it ain't the Arctic bub!

And here I was all excited that a bunch of Scubaboarders were going to visit Alaska or Northern Canada. For shame!

In fun,

-B

(If anyone wants to come "Tropical Reef Diving" here in Unalaska, just PM me)

Sorry, didn't mean to offend:shakehead I'm sure it will be a wonderful time for all.

Lake murray Ok. is sporting water temps of 42f as of last weekend.

However, remember that the vast majority of these divers will be diving 42 degree water WET. That increases the Arctic-quotient, surely! The diving will actually take place in Oklahoma, which is north of the Red River. So, according to Texas standards, it is officially Arctic. :wink:

Brandon:
I object to this so-called 'artic diving', for three reasons:

1) You spelled Arctic wrong.

2) Texas isn't even anywhere near the Arctic! You're thousands of miles away!

3) And "cold water" diving? Bah! What's cold water in Texas... 50 degrees? That's like a bathtub compared to the Arctic! If the water's surface isn't frozen, it ain't the Arctic bub!

And here I was all excited that a bunch of Scubaboarders were going to visit Alaska or Northern Canada. For shame!

In fun,

-B

(If anyone wants to come "Tropical Reef Diving" here in Unalaska, just PM me)

I've been the last two years and it is a fun event. It's as much of a party as a dive trek ! Good people, Good food, Good fun and Good diving.
Did I mention Hot Showers too !

No No No Silly ... not all at the same time ! :shakehead :rofl3:

The Bon Fire this year should be visible from Mars :light:
Bring Sun Glasses :crafty:

How's the viz in Lake Murray? If its over 10ft, its probably worth diving:D

subzero:
How's the viz in Lake Murray? If its over 10ft, its probably worth diving:D

Last week off the Tucker Tower wall is was 2-3ft.,,,,though we have dove other areas the weekends prior and had 8-12ft. vis. This lake like many can go from good to low vis over a period of a few days. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom