TSA = Idiots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So "lithium batteries" does that include both li-ion and li-po batteries? Theire both lithium and ion based but with notably different technologies...
I don't think so. The info is on the TSA site, but honestly - I treat all lithium as covered because the agents get enough wrong already.

I do carry some spare lithium batteries for dive computers in my checked bag, but well packed - and so small that I doubt that anyone's ever noticed them. For cameras and lights, I take a lot of AA, C, and some AAA - NiMH and Alkaline mixed, but well packed in checked luggage in an outside pocket so if they feel the urge too check them, they won't be encouraged to get into the main part of the bag. My pony gets looked over a lot tho.

Knitting needles and corkscrews I would actually be able to do significant damage with, but I have a hard time understanding how they intend for me to do the same with a nail clipper even WITH the very short file. Yeah, I guess I can poke you in the eye or go for your neck, but Id definetly take the knitting needles over a nail clipper for that purpose..

They actually checked my laptop for "residues" on my last trip. Guess its a good thing for me I bought it AFTER I retired from the military where I was part of a munitions and EOD team..

"Seriously officer, I just came back from defusing bombs in Afghanistan". Yeah, cause that would "fly" so to speak..
In the 80s & 90s, I commonly wore a 5" folding knife on my belt, thru security, onto planes - but often had to check it on return. Ok in Texas, not so much in other states. Now I just carry a pocket knife other than flying, leave the bigger tools in the car. Flying, they all go in checked bags, but not to Mexico as that country has harsh prohibitions on such.

Lawn fertilizer causes additional inspections and golf courses over use it so golfers take more time getting thru. I am careful to keep my luggage and dive gear stored away from such.

A GF I once had came to visit with just a roll-on and she packed a 6 ft bullwhip I'd given her to practice here. That took some time to get thru security. :eek:

A GF I once had came to visit with just a roll-on and she packed a 6 ft bullwhip I'd given her to practice here.

:gorgeous: And you let that get away?:hm:

I think my favorite was when I had my regulator in my carry on. I walked in to the airport and it went through the x-ray. (Ive done this many times before and never had a problem) The guy stops the machine and pulls me to the side as he unpacks the bag. He ask me what the "device" is and I proceeded to explain to him what it was. He asked me if I could demo it to show him that it was in fact a working regulator. He diddnt find humor when I told him I would need to borrow a scuba tank since the oxygen tank they had was not really set up for the regulator.

After a few moments another TSA guard walked by and popped off "Nice regulator! Are you going diving?" The first guy then spoke to the second one and he said that I could go ahead and go through since the second guy verified its use. I was trying so hard not to laugh when I told the second guy "No I dont dive I just carry this regulator around with me in case I suddenly decide I want to learn to dive. I carry it with me everywhere I go including the potty!"

I refuse to be x-rayed by them. They have to pat me down. I always get called out for an x-ray. They hate the pat downs way worse than I do. I wish everyone would opt out of the scanners, it would make their life sheer hell, especially if you get your traveling partner to video every pat down.

The last time I flew I refused the X-Ray and they did the pat down, but they were so screwed up, that I walked around the metal detector... I never went through the metal detector! Idiots... seriously

The funniest security event that has happened to me was that they took a great interest once in my jet fins. Actually I think that it was the spring straps that did it. It wasn't TSA, it was in the normally very intelligent Israeli airport. Before you can check your luggage, they run the to-be-checked bags though an xray machine. This event was for a to-be-checked bag.

They saw something interesting in the xray, and then searched the bag until they found them. Then held up the fins and asked if they were mine. (Like whose else would they be, in a bag full of scuba gear, and they even have my name on them with bright silver paint). Now comes the part that was really stupid on my part, but I just couldn't help myself. I broke into uncontrolled laughter, almost rolling on the floor, and I answered, "Yes, they are mine, and I use them as my weapon!"

At that point, they just told me to repack my bag, and went on to someone else. Maybe its the training that they get that indicated to them that no one who acted like me was hiding anything, except perhaps a brainless skull. I don't believe that I said something so stupid.:shakehead:

A couple months ago we had a 6 am departure to Hawaii. Our gear was split between both our bags. I breezed through security and rushed off to buy us a couple of much needed coffees. After buying the coffees, I stood around waiting for the gf. After a couple of minutes I began to get annoyed(still per coffee). I mean how did she expect me to carry my carryon, personal bag, 2 coffees, and 2 muffins.

Somehow I managed it and began to back track trying to find her. I ran into her still at security trying to repack her bag. Apparently they took great interest in my camera strobe. She tried explaining what it was, but without an accompanying camera(which was packed in my bag) they weren't buying it. Needless to say she(still pre coffee) was quite annoyed. I thought it was hilarious.

A couple months ago we had a 6 am departure to Hawaii. Our gear was split between both our bags. I breezed through security and rushed off to buy us a couple of much needed coffees. After buying the coffees, I stood around waiting for the gf. After a couple of minutes I began to get annoyed(still per coffee). I mean how did she expect me to carry my carryon, personal bag, 2 coffees, and 2 muffins.

Somehow I managed it and began to back track trying to find her. I ran into her still at security trying to repack her bag. Apparently they took great interest in my camera strobe. She tried explaining what it was, but without an accompanying camera(which was packed in my bag) they weren't buying it. Needless to say she(still pre coffee) was quite annoyed. I thought it was hilarious.
When I travel with my home bud, family, or anyone else really - either I lead, making sure the other(s) are close behind, or I follow and shout if they get far ahead - especially going thru security. I've had similar experiences with "meet you inside" ideas, and worse. Once my home bud who skipped reading TSA guidelines among other things, got stopped for a tool. I was at the gate wondering where the hell he was - getting coffee, in the privy, what, while he was back at the luggage check counter trying to make arrangements for the tool to be held or something - but it had closed so all agents could work to get the flight out, which I learned when I backtracked to security looking for him. Amazingly I managed to hold the plane and send an agent back to the front counter; I still think that's impossible, but I caught someone in a good mood as he was just standing and waiting.

After that, we agreed that we should both carry our cell phones, turned on, until we board the last flight out of the US, then on return to US - but he forgot that too. Now I just watch him closely. Since I plan most of the trips, he doesn't give much thought or work at all. I also warn him that if he fails to follow me and we get separated, he is on his on with copies of the trip plan. See ya at the hotel. :shakehead:

TSA are idiots last summer they wanted to confiscate my terrorist underwire bra.

TSA are idiots last summer they wanted to confiscate my terrorist underwire bra.
Sounds like some of them have a sense of humor...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom