TSA = Idiots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Returned home from a week-long dive trip to Puerto Rico today. While unpacking I found that TSA confiscated the battery for my canister light and left a note in my bag saying that Lithium Batteries are classified as HAZMAT and have been confiscated and disposed of. Only problem... my battery was NiMh, not lithium! The TSA website specifically states that NiMh batteries are OK to include in checked luggage. Website has a form for filing a claim... yeah, that should go smoothly.

UGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's why I carry my battery ... I'd rather explain to the idiots at the security what this thing is that looks like six sticks of dynamite taped together with a couple of wires sticking out ... less hassle than letting them decide without your input what it is and what to do about it.

But your topic is too narrow ... you can include the rest of the Homeland Security idiots too. Last year coming across the border from Canada we were the lucky recipients of a random search. They had us pull our car into the search area and go inside while they pulled all of our gear out of the back, went through everything, and left it on the ground for us to repack. After sitting inside for about 20 minutes, Officer Idiot came in and asked who had the photography gear. We said we both did. He identified a specific bag, that belonged to my dive buddy. Turns out they'd dropped a $2000 lens on the pavement and broke it. The guy said something to the effect of "Hope it's insured" and gave us permission to go put our stuff back in the car and be on our way. No claim form or assumption of responsibility whatsoever.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added April 25th, 2012 at 10:07 AM ----------

So "lithium batteries" does that include both li-ion and li-po batteries? Theire both lithium and ion based but with notably different technologies...

And yeah, airport security always has been a bit weird to me..

Knitting needles and corkscrews I would actually be able to do significant damage with, but I have a hard time understanding how they intend for me to do the same with a nail clipper even WITH the very short file. Yeah, I guess I can poke you in the eye or go for your neck, but Id definetly take the knitting needles over a nail clipper for that purpose..

They actually checked my laptop for "residues" on my last trip. Guess its a good thing for me I bought it AFTER I retired from the military where I was part of a munitions and EOD team..

"Seriously officer, I just came back from defusing bombs in Afghanistan". Yeah, cause that would "fly" so to speak..

Coupla months ago I got my hands swabbed in San Francisco. Dunno what they were looking for, exactly ... or why me. I didn't ask.

Baaaaaaaaa ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

doncha know, we are all terrorist... esp those who have served in the military.. bleh.... another reason I am looking to leave and not come back.. I am tired of being treated like this in my own country.

Coupla months ago I got my hands swabbed in San Francisco. Dunno what they were looking for, exactly ... or why me. I didn't ask.

Baaaaaaaaa ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I was actually asked if I minded opening the laptop so they could swab it so I just told them no problem, what exactly are you swabbing it for which where when they answered "residues". They didnt seem to want to be more specific although I did fish for details, but it was pretty obvious to me it wasnt popcorn residue they where after..

EDIT: Even more so because they definetly woulda found some :p

Last edited:
TSA are idiots last summer they wanted to confiscate my terrorist underwire bra.

that's why i never wear one when flying :p

this showed this afternoon in my email... I get the DEA newsletter..

[h=1]DEA NEWS: T.S.A. Screeners at LAX Arrested on[/h] [h=1]Federal Drug Trafficking and Corruption Charges[/h]LOS ANGELES – The DEA today announced that two former and two current Transportation Security
Administration (TSA) screeners at Los Angeles International Airport have been arrested on
federal narcotics trafficking and bribery charges for allegedly taking cash payments to
allow large shipments of cocaine, methamphetamine and marijuana to pass through the
X-ray machines at TSA security checkpoints.

In addition to the current and former TSA officials, one drug courier is currently in
state custody, and another drug courier is expected to surrender tomorrow. Authorities
are continuing to search for another alleged drug courier named in a 22-count grand
jury indictment that was unsealed this morning.

The indictment outlines five specific incidents in which current and former TSA
employees took payments of as much as $2,400 to allow suitcases filled with drugs to
pass through X-ray machines while TSA screeners looked the other way.

“This case underscores the unique nature of 21st century drug smuggling,”
according to Briane M. Grey, Acting Special Agent in Charge of the DEA in Los
Angeles. “Here, the defendants traded on their positions at one the world’s most crucial
airport security checkpoints, used their special access for criminal ends, and
compromised the safety and security of their fellow citizens for their own profit.”

“Airport screeners act as a vital checkpoint for homeland security, and air
travelers should believe in the fundamental integrity of security systems at our nation’s
airports,” said United States Attorney André Birotte Jr. “The allegations in this case
describe a significant breakdown of the screening system through the conduct of
individuals who placed greed above the nation’s security needs.”

The indictment names the following individuals:

! Naral Richardson, 30, of Los Angeles, who was arrested this morning.
Richardson, who was terminated by TSA in 2010, is accused of orchestrating
five incidents in which TSA screeners agreed to waive narcotics through security
checkpoints.

! John Whitfield, 23, of Los Angeles, who was arrested last night. Whitfield, a TSA
screener who allegedly worked with Richardson to allow nearly four kilograms of
methamphetamine to pass through LAX security, is also accused of personally
allowing more than 20 kilograms of cocaine to pass through LAX security.

! Joy White, 27, of Compton, who was arrested this morning. White, who was
terminated by TSA last year, allegedly was stationed at LAX screening
checkpoints when she allowed drugs to pass through, including a shipment of
more than 20 kilograms of cocaine.

! Capeline McKinney, 25, of Los Angeles, who was arrested this morning.
McKinney is a TSA screener who allegedly allowed more than 20 kilograms of
cocaine to pass through her security checkpoint.

! Duane Eleby, 28, of Downey, who is expected to surrender to authorities
tomorrow morning. Eleby allegedly attempted to bring almost five kilograms of
cocaine through a security checkpoint, but his narcotics were seized by law
enforcement when he went through the wrong security checkpoint.

! Terry Cunningham, 28, of Los Angeles, an alleged drug courier, who is currently
being sought by authorities.

! Stephen Bayliss, 28, of Los Angeles, an alleged drug courier, who is currently is
state custody.

All of the defendants who were arrested last night and this morning are expected to be
arraigned on the indictment this afternoon in United States District Court in downtown
Los Angeles. If they are convicted of the charges in the indictment, the current and
former TSA officials each face stiff mandatory minimum penalties, and each would face
a potential sentence of life imprisonment.

The indictment outlines five separate incidents in which the TSA officials
conspired with either drug couriers or an undercover operative working with the Drug
Enforcement Administration to smuggle narcotics through security checkpoints at LAX.

These incidents occurred from early February 2011 and continued until early July 2011,
according to the indictment. In one incident, Richardson and White allegedly agreed
that Eleby would bring about five kilograms of cocaine through a security checkpoint
that was being staffed by White. But when Eleby failed to follow White’s instructions
and went to the wrong security checkpoint, TSA officials uninvolved in the scheme
seized Eleby’s bag, which was filled with cocaine. In the final incident outlined in the
indictment, Richardson and Whitfield allegedly conspired with the DEA’s “confidential
source” to allow about eight pounds of methamphetamine to pass through a security
checkpoint that was being staffed by Whitfield. After the methamphetamine went
through security, Whitfield met the confidential source in an LAX restroom to receive
$600 in cash, which was the second half of the agreed-upon $1,200 fee for that pass through.

Richardson is charged in five narcotics conspiracies, five substantive counts of
possession with the intent to distribute narcotics, and two counts of offering bribes to
public officials. If convicted, Richardson faces mandatory minimum sentences of at
least 10 years, and he potentially faces life without parole in federal prison. Each
bribery count also carries a statutory maximum penalty of 15 years in prison.

Whitfield is charged in a conspiracy involving about four kilograms of
methamphetamine, as well as substantive drug possession charges involving
marijuana, cocaine and methamphetamine. Whitfield is also named as the recipient of
six bribes. If he is convicted, Whitfield faces a mandatory minimum prison term of 10
years and a maximum sentence of life in prison.

White is charged in three narcotics conspiracies – involving a total of about 25
kilograms of cocaine and about 22 kilograms of marijuana – as well as three
substantive drug possession counts. White is also charged with one count of receiving
a bribe. If convicted, White would face a mandatory minimum prison sentence of 10
years and could be sentenced to as much as life in prison.

McKinney is charged in a cocaine conspiracy involving 20 kilograms of the drug,
as well as a substantive drug possession charge and one count of receiving a bribe. If
convicted, McKinney faces a mandatory minimum prison term of 10 years and a
potential sentence of life imprisonment.

Eleby is charged in a conspiracy to distribute cocaine, as well as possession with
the intent to distribute nearly five kilograms of cocaine. If convicted, Eleby faces a fiveyear
mandatory minimum sentence and a maximum statutory sentence of 40 years in
prison.

Cunningham and Bayliss are each in a conspiracy involving 22 kilograms of
marijuana, as well as possession with intent to distribute marijuana. If convicted, each
of them would face up to five years in federal prison.

“TSA has assured the investigating agencies we will do everything we can to
assist in their investigation,” said Randy Parsons, TSA Federal Security Director at LAX.
“While these arrests are a disappointment, TSA is committed to holding our employees
to the highest standards.”

The investigation in this case was conducted by the Drug Enforcement
Administration, the Los Angeles High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) and the
Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (OCDETF), which worked in
conjunction with the Transportation Security Administration, the Office of the Inspector
General for the Department of Homeland Security, the Los Angeles Police Department,
the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department, the Los Angeles International Airport Narcotics
Task Force, and the Los Angeles Airport Police.

this showed this afternoon in my email... I get the dea newsletter..

dea news: T.s.a. Screeners at lax arrested on

federal drug trafficking and corruption charges

los angeles – the dea today announced that two former and two current transportation security
administration (tsa) screeners at los angeles international airport have been arrested on
federal narcotics trafficking and bribery charges for allegedly taking cash payments to
allow large shipments of cocaine, methamphetamine and marijuana to pass through the
x-ray machines at tsa security checkpoints.

FAIL!!!!

classic case of the fox guarding the henhouse :rofl3:

A couple of years ago they caught an organized group of TSA thieves at Atlanta airport. They specialized in high end items, electronics, cameras, etc., and were selling them on Ebay. At my local airport (Newark) two months ago a TSA agent snatched up a roll of money, several thousand, from some foreign national after he had placed it in the tray. Theft is very common, not surprising considering the kind of people they tend to hire. I always stuff my cash at the bottom of my carry on before I get in line, then remove it immediately after passing through inspection. TSA is just another hazard to be faced when traveling.

On a lighter note, back in the late 60s and 70s I made very frequent trips to Jamaica. Air Jamaica was practically the UPS of ganja shipping. The employees would stuff every empty space, the wheel wells, wings, behind partitions, in food carts, with huge amounts of marijuana. Air J people on the US end would then remove it. It got so bad that US Customs actually seized an Air J 747 at Kennedy. Impounded the damn thing!

My only objection was that the heavy compressed bricks and bales affected the aircraft's trim, creating safety issues. I was on one flight that had to return to the 'hairport' immediately after takeoff, because one wing was so much more heavily loaded than the other. Obviously, officials at all levels in Jamaica were involved. On the plus side you could smell the ganja during the flight for a contact high. Some flights, especially evening flights, reeked of the stuff. They say birds fell stoned from the sky. I never saw that, but some friends swore it was true. Of course, these were some of the same people who tried to levitate the Pentagon. Ah, the 60s!

Theft is very common, not surprising considering the kind of people they tend to hire.

Too bad they didn't hire Bernie Madoff, or get a job with Enron!! I'm by no means a fan of TSA but you're going to have bad people in every occupation, most of these people are just trying to make an honest living. And there definitely aren't any American terrorist (Timothy McVeigh , Eric Rudolph)!!!

I remember the 60's... all two weeks of it...

I remember the goodl ole days of flying when, in 1983 I walked thru the airport in Miami with a buck knife on my belt and a bronc busting saddle slung over my shoulder.. and off the plane in denver.. NO one turned a hair..

One of the main reasons that was given by the 9/11 hijackers for rejecting fla airports was our screening process.. we all walked thru a metal detector and only those with tickets went airside... real simple process... Most of the country has never had to fly from Miami to Tampa via Havana..:D:D Seems to me, that IF that simple a process works why bother with it..

I know that right after 9/11 I was doing this delivering pt thing.. would fly as a private nurse with a patient from Tampa to someplace..ususaly Houston or Atlanta.. and the family would meet me on the other end.. I in my hand luggage I carried my day runner.. It went thru the xray thingy numerous times a week over a 6 mos period. I had NO idea I had a pair or 6 inch surgical scissors stashed in the zippered pocket. I had forgotten about them until I walked into the Hillsborough Court House to pay a ticket.. and thier scanner caught it.. :(:idk:

agilis, would you please tell us how you really feel?:rofl3:

As if life in the 21st century were not bad enough already, we now have these malicious lying thieving stupid arrogant two digit IQ glorified supermarket baggers with an attitude and a badge. National security and flying safety my ass. I've found several notes from these TSA cretins in my luggage over the years, most recently two months ago when they figured out how to open my suitcase, but evidently were not clear on the closing part. Some missing items, a damaged zipper, but I've experienced worse from these jumped up third rate thugs. They break things . They steal things. They made idiotic errors and misapply the regulations. However bad a situation is, they can make it worse. It's difficult to look at them without feeling disgust. And because no federal agency ever disappears, they will be around forever. Bigger. More intrusive. More loathsome.

Back
Top Bottom