True or False?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Logic Theorist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've "known" I was interested in technical diving since pretty much immediately after getting my OW, so I've talked to a lot of people about it as I've been steadily working my way through the requirements (all I have left is Rescue, which I should be doing this summer, and then hitting the minimum # of dives). As I've talked to people, a lot of things have been said to me regarding tech diving, some of which don't sound right and some of which contradict things other people have told me. So, I'm going to list them out here. Please reply with whether you think these statements are true or false, and -why-. You're welcome to answer any or all, or even just one if that's the only statement you have input on. Thanks in advance! (also, sorry if these topics have been covered in other threads, I did a bit of looking and didn't really see anything duplicated)

--

Analogue depth guages are not accurate enough for tech and/or deep diving, you need a computer.

The calculations for tech and decompression diving are extremely difficult using the imperial system (psi and feet) so you should get used to thinking in bar and meters.

DIN valves/connections are safer and no tech divers use yoke.

It is not necessary to take a drysuit class, you can learn how to use a drysuit in a few hours and a couple of dives.

Technical diving requires a drysuit.

You should start diving with doubles now to get used to the extra weight.

You should take the DIR Fundamentals class before buying any tech diving gear (including doubles).

The DSAT Intro to Tech class (or similar class from another agency) is a good way to find out if you are interested in tech diving.

You should have a minimum number of dives (number varies depending who's said this to me) before taking Rescue Diver.

You should have at least 200 dives logged before taking any cave diving courses.

Analogue depth guages are not accurate enough for tech and/or deep diving, you need a computer.

The calculations for tech and decompression diving are extremely difficult using the imperial system (psi and feet) so you should get used to thinking in bar and meters.

It is not necessary to take a drysuit class, you can learn how to use a drysuit in a few hours and a couple of dives.

You should take the DIR Fundamentals class before buying any tech diving gear (including doubles).

The DSAT Intro to Tech class (or similar class from another agency) is a good way to find out if you are interested in tech diving.

You should have a minimum number of dives (number varies depending who's said this to me) before taking Rescue Diver.

You should have at least 200 dives logged before taking any cave diving courses.

I've not used a digital gauge in a long time, and most of the others I dive with have never used one period. No digital gauges are used, unless you count the ones on the fill whip when mixing breathing gas.

The calculations are not complex and do not require the use of Bar gauges. Just go with whatever your buddies use. If you are calculating a dive in bar/meters and everyone else has PSI/feet you will not have fun.

DIN Valves - pretty much true. I have a few yoke deco regs and I'll use yoke when sidemounting in Mexico, but that's about it.

It's not really necessary to take a drysuit course. Try it out in shallow water, make sure you can stop yourself in an uncontrolled ascent and that you learn that your suit is for warmth, not buoyancy.

Tech diving does not require a drysuit if you are in the right area of the world. Only diving 85 degree ocean? Don't need a drysuit. Due to exposure times and depth, a drysuit is required in most parts of the earth.

Start diving with doubles as soon as possible. The more comfortable you are with your gear the easier class will be. A big issue a lot of people have is that they come into advanced classes having issues with gear.

You don't need a fundamentals course. Just don't do anything stupid in your doubles. Dive recreationally with them to get used to them. I did 3 or 4 dives in the 15-40 foot range when I first started using them.

DSAT....meh. You have to start somewhere, but a lot of the first courses from any agency are basically an intro course. Their sole purpose is to give you rudimentary skills and get you squared away with gear. A cavern course, advanced nitrox or GUE fundies will all instill proper technique into you and get you introduced to the mindset required for this type of diving.

The minimum dives for Rescue is 50. That's a good start, but I'd recommend more. There is no hard line. I've met people with 200 dives under their belt that I wouldn't honestly recommend for Advanced OW class, and I've dove with people that have done 30 dives that are naturals. It's comfort and skill. Do you have great buoyancy? Can you reach all of your gear quickly and easily? Good finning? Comfort in the water? Do your hands not move during a dive? You are probably ready for Rescue.

You should have a lot of dives before taking cave training. Cave diving is about the most fun you can have without breaking the law, but you also need to be serious. Attitude and skill are more important than numbers. Any muppet can log 200 dives in 15 feet of water for 20 minutes apiece. Do a variety of diving. Find mentors to teach you new things. Expand your horizons, get crazy comfortable in the water. Prepare to be humbled in class. After about 150-200 dives you probably have the experience and comfort level that you need to have, but it's not a hard and fast rule.

I've not used a digital gauge in a long time, and most of the others I dive with have never used one period. No digital gauges are used, unless you count the ones on the fill whip when mixing breathing gas.
depth gauge..not pressure.

Ah, whoops, i misread that. Yeah, digital depth gauges are basically the norm. Either a full blown tech computer is used or a digital bottom timer/depth gauge is used more often than not.

If you are still diving recreationally, a lot of us have had good lucking with wrist computers that you can switch into gauge mode. Then you can get one of the cheap Uwatec timers as a backup. Alternatively, you could go ahead and blow $1800 on a VR3 or something similar and be set. Some people think computers will rot your brain, but form your own opinion on them. I don't use them because I'm a cheap SOB, so I stick with a computer in gauge mode and a bottom timer.

Sorry for the false info.

There are two things that come to mind here. You do not need a computer to do deep/tech diving. But for all diving you need a depth gauge and timer in order to determine where you are in your dive. This can be combined in a bottom timer and/or a computer. Whether digital or analogue systems are more accurate, this can be debated for ever. I think that dive computers/BT's are so plentiful and are easily accessible, they have pushed analogue depth gauges out. The fact still remains that they depend on a transducer to sense pressure and this is converted into a digital signal. So in one way they are still partly analogue.
Metric calculations are slightly easier to do. But neither system would require you to have advanced rocket science degrees. You usually go off tables or planning software. Matching and planning gas volumes is easier when all divers use the same system.
This one is debated often. A DIN connection is captured and stronger, but many tech divers use yokes as well. In an overhead environment, where knocking valves against the ceiling is a real possibility, a DIN would be the better advised one. I personally only dive DIN valves.
I agree with this one. If you get a drysuit, do some dives in a controlled environment, slowly progress, you can learn to dive it yourself. Some people feel more comfortable to learn from an instructor.
No not by definition. But in practice most tech divers end up with one because of the longer time under the water. Especially when hanging deco for a longer time, wetsuits can get cold... a toasty warm drysuit helps....
As with learning to dive a drysuit......controlled environment, slowly progressing. But learning to shutdown valves and sequences may be left to an instructor.
BS, while I advocate taking a fundies class as one of the best dive courses you can take, if you know what you want and have proper advise, you can get a proper set up without fundies. On the other hand many people come away from fundies changing their set up.... I wonder if this is because it is not GUE DIR sanctioned or if it is inadequate for tech diving...
If this class is of the same calibre as fundies, then yes. I have no experience with this.
Dunno, never did that class
No, but you should have a certain level of skills and competency. For some people it comes with 200 dives with others in 50, or some other number. It depends.

Analogue depth guages are not accurate enough for tech and/or deep diving:
Many technical divers do not use, or believe in, using computers. Anaolg gauges can be used for shallow dives but the presision suffers when they have larger scales. Most technical divers who do not use computers use digital depth gauges or computers that can be set to "gauge mode."

The calculations are not that difficult but doing them in the metric system is easier. The most important thing is that all divers in the team are using the same system. Most US technical divers use the imperial system because that is what they are comfortable with.

DIN valves are safer and most technical divers use them. Some technical divers like yoke valves for their stage/deco bottles.

It is adviseable to at least get an introduction to drysuit diving from an instructor.

Most technical diving requires a drysuit. Whether or not a drysuit is required or not depends on water temperature and length of submersion.

You should start diving doubles now to get used to handling the different configuration and trim.

Introduction to technical diving courses, from whatever agency you choose, can be helpful. Experience in diving is more important.

You should be comfortable with your basic diving skills before you take a rescue course. Done correctly, a rescue course is quite demanding.

The exact number of dives is less important than your comfort and skill in the water. You should start diving with people who are technical divers and cave divers. Pick a mentor and let them help you assess your readiness.

As I've talked to people, a lot of things have been said to me regarding tech diving, some of which don't sound right and some of which contradict things other people have told me. So, I'm going to list them out here. Please reply with whether you think these statements are true or false, and -why-. You're welcome

False. Nothing wrong with good analog guages.

Sorta. Bars and meters make the math a lot simpler. But many still work in imperial.

Sorta. First part is true, second part is not.

True. But it's still a good idea to have someone experienced help you get familiarized with the suit. A class is not a bad idea if you don't have buddies who dive dry.

False. But a drysuit adds a LOT to the game. Its an added safety factor that should not be underestimated.

False. The extra weight is not the issue. It's the added complication that will cause the issues.

False. Taking Fundies or a similar introductory course is an EXCELLENT idea, but certainly not mandated.

True.

Probably true. You need to be comfortable with yourself and your gear before attempting to learn how to rescue others.

True. I didn't, and many divers I know don't. But I still think it's a good idea. Probably MORE important is what kinds of dives you do. 200 shallow reef dives in perfect conditions is a LOT different than 200 dives in the Great Lakes, the Northeast Wreck area, or dark, cold quarries.

The calculations are easier in BAR. Most US divers use Imperial units, and we manage.

DIN fittings are more difficult to dislodge, and are therefore preferred for any kind of overhead diving. DIN fittings also trap the o-ring better. I don't know that anybody has statistics to show that DIN fittings are safer in open water diving.

Best if someone shows you a couple of recovery techniques for dealing with air-filled feet, because that can happen even to experienced divers. Make your first few dry suit dives shallow and simple, because figuring out how to read the suit and stay ahead of the curve with venting can take a few dives. The time to find out you're overly task-loaded is not when you've spent 20 minutes at 100 feet.

No. Tech diving in tropical water can be done in a wet suit. As deco times increase, though, staying warm for long periods in the water can get difficult, and it seems as though most people eventually go dry. There are gear considerations to diving wet.

My personal take on this, from my own experience and watching others, is that you should get your buoyancy control and trim down fairly solid before moving to doubles. If you have never internalized what neutral buoyancy and horizontal trim feel like before moving to doubles, it seems to take longer to get it sorted out there. But I also think it helps to go to doubles well in advance of any challenging training in them.

No. You can certainly acquire a BP/W/long hose setup and work with it before taking any class. DIR Fundamentals will help you understand some gear choices, and if you intend to do further training with GUE, it will make sure you do not buy gear you will have to replace. It IS a good idea to do a bunch of reading, here and in places like TDS, so that you don't make expensive, uninformed choices that will have to be corrected later.

I don't know anything about the DSAT class. But Fundies, or NAUI Intro to Tech, is a good way to see where the bar is set for technical diving. I don't know if it's a good way to find out if you're INTERESTED in technical diving. The answer to that really lies in whether there are things in the technical range that you particularly want to see.

I think PADI requires 25 dives. For me, the prerequisites of Rescue would be that you aren't having to spend the majority of your bandwidth managing your own buoyancy and equipment.

I was told 500. I had almost that many before I took cavern and Intro, and it was just about right. You really want to spend the time in OW getting buoyancy and trim, non-silting propulsion, and teamwork solid before you go into the overhead. I also think it's highly desirable to have dived enough to have encountered some problems, to know how you are likely to react under pressure. I was very happy that I did the prep work and classes I did before taking cave.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom