True or False?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As you work your way up to 100 dives, which is a good starting point for tech-deco diving, you should make the following upgrades to your gear:

1) switch over to DIN

2) buy a drysuit with 2 cargo pockets on it, and take a class

3) buy a dive computer with a gauge mode, and a backup bottom timer and start wearing them both next to each other on your right arm

4) start wearing your compass on your left wrist (steps 3 and 4 will get you ready for DPV scootering!)

5) get a low volume break-resistant mask, and a spare

6) take a basic nitrox course and start diving with nitrox on every dive

7) switch over to a backplate-wing config (you can contact either Deep Sea Supply or Oxycheq and order this over the internet here on Scubaboard)

8) adopt either a 5ft, 6ft, or 7ft long hose for your primary regulator 2nd stage

9) obtain a full-service backup 2nd stage and wear it on a necklace-bunjee and ditch whatever you are using as an octo or an air-2

10) find an instructor in your area who teaches tech diving; if you are lucky there might be more than one; if you have a choice, then decide among the choices of NACD, IANTD, TDI, NAUI Tech, GUE-DIR, or PADI DSAT; each of these is radically different in its approach, and you will likely become an assimilated guru of whichever one that you submit yourself to.

I would not buy doubles until you get into the tech courses with your new instructor. At that time, you would also need a new wing, U-shaped normally, for the twin tanks.

Unless you dive in Europe and the Mediterranean a lot, I would not recommend BAR. If you dive mostly in the USA then stick with psi gauges.

But first ask yourself, why are you doing this? To reach deep shipwrecks in your area that you now cannot reach with your present 130 fsw 10 min limit? Or do you want to go to Florida and dive their springwater caves? Or to Mexico and dive the cenotes? If not, and it is just an ego thing, then I would not recommend it.

No. You can certainly acquire a BP/W/long hose setup and work with it before taking any class. DIR Fundamentals will help you understand some gear choices, and if you intend to do further training with GUE, it will make sure you do not buy gear you will have to replace. It IS a good idea to do a bunch of reading, here and in places like TDS, so that you don't make expensive, uninformed choices that will have to be corrected later.

I have actually read the gear info on the GUE page a couple of times, as well as the info on this page: How Do You Cave Dive? . I do have a couple of things I bought for OW that I need to replace (mask with purge, split fins, jacket BC though that was a really cheap one) but overall I haven't bought a lot of gear yet.

The answer to that really lies in whether there are things in the technical range that you particularly want to see.

That's why I say I've "known" I wanted to get into tech diving for a while, I've already run across wrecks I want to dive that are too deep to do recreationally. That's the sole reason driving me in the tech direction.

I was told 500. I had almost that many before I took cavern and Intro, and it was just about right. You really want to spend the time in OW getting buoyancy and trim, non-silting propulsion, and teamwork solid before you go into the overhead. I also think it's highly desirable to have dived enough to have encountered some problems, to know how you are likely to react under pressure. I was very happy that I did the prep work and classes I did before taking cave.

I have actually already taken the PADI Cavern Diver specialty, so I've done 4 cavern dives and worked with a line and reel on all of them. The very first one actually kind of sketched me out a bit, but I was pretty comfortable by the end of the class, and the dive immediately after the class we went through a long, very small rock chimney and I was fine. I'm not saying my buoyancy and trim and all that are perfect yet, but I have been told by multiple people that my skills are solid for the small number of dives I have logged (and I'm trying not to let that go to my head. :wink: )

1) switch over to DIN

Done, I bought the DIN conversion kit with my first reg.

3) buy a dive computer with a gauge mode, and a backup bottom timer and start wearing them both next to each other on your right arm

I've got a puck computer, I was looking at backup gauages and wondering if an analogue will work as a backup or if I need a digital backup depth guage.

Any reason not to use a dive watch as a backup timer?

4) start wearing your compass on your left wrist (steps 3 and 4 will get you ready for DPV scootering!)

Done.

6) take a basic nitrox course and start diving with nitrox on every dive

Done.

7) switch over to a backplate-wing config (you can contact either Deep Sea Supply or Oxycheq and order this over the internet here on Scubaboard)

Incidentally, does anyone know if the Dive Rite basic harness/bp/w fulfills the DIR standards? The optional crotch strap only has one ring...

10) find an instructor in your area who teaches tech diving; if you are lucky there might be more than one; if you have a choice, then decide among the choices of NACD, IANTD, TDI, NAUI Tech, GUE-DIR, or PADI DSAT; each of these is radically different in its approach, and you will likely become an assimilated guru of whichever one that you submit yourself to.

This is still a bit off for me, but I would say it's likely I'll go on an extended vacation to do the tech courses, much like I've done for a lot of my other certs.

Unless you dive in Europe and the Mediterranean a lot, I would not recommend BAR. If you dive mostly in the USA then stick with psi gauges.

I bought a single guage SPG that has both bar and psi already. It was the same price as the just psi one though.

But first ask yourself, why are you doing this? To reach deep shipwrecks in your area that you now cannot reach with your present 130 fsw 10 min limit? Or do you want to go to Florida and dive their springwater caves? Or to Mexico and dive the cenotes? If not, and it is just an ego thing, then I would not recommend it.

I sort of answered this already above, but it's definitely not an ego thing. There are Atlantic coast shipwrecks I'd like to dive that are deeper than 130', but the first dive site that made me start reading up on all this is the Blenheim Bomber in Malta. It's at 140' roughly, and I had to skip it this time out. Talk about frustrating, I'm going to have to go all the way back to Malta to get to see it.

Analogue depth guages are not accurate enough for tech and/or deep diving, you need a computer.

Not completely true, though I find the Uwatec bottom timers much easier to read and the extra information is always nice to have.

The calculations for tech and decompression diving are extremely difficult using the imperial system (psi and feet) so you should get used to thinking in bar and meters.
Bar/meters are definitely easier, though you're probably better learning in the commonly used units (by tech divers) where you will dive.

DIN valves/connections are safer and no tech divers use yoke.

Yep, DIN is a far better system. No contest really.

It is not necessary to take a drysuit class, you can learn how to use a drysuit in a few hours and a couple of dives.

Well, not a few hours and a couple of dives, but you don't need a course.

Technical diving requires a drysuit.

Depends on the water temp, but probably true once you start doing long deco hangs.

You should start diving with doubles now to get used to the extra weight.

If you like - double 7 litres are a good way of getting into doubles diving. If you get the wide spaced ones the valve positioning is pretty much the same as the larger doubles sets.

You should take the DIR Fundamentals class before buying any tech diving gear (including doubles).

Not true, but you should take DIR-F :) How will you get a tech pass at DIR-F if you don't do it in tech gear?

The DSAT Intro to Tech class (or similar class from another agency) is a good way to find out if you are interested in tech diving.
It's a good way to find out if all the gear freaks you out.

You should have a minimum number of dives (number varies depending who's said this to me) before taking Rescue Diver.
You should have good buoyancy control before taking Rescue.

You should have at least 200 dives logged before taking any cave diving courses.

Can't really put a number on it, but you basic skills should be more or less perfect. 200 dives might be about right.

Caverns are definitely fun because you still have enough light to see. Streamlining becomes the major issue with these, since you do not want to get anything caught on any part of the cavern.

Modern shipwrecks intentionally sunk have access holes cut into them which makes them a lot like cavern dives. Streamlining is also a major issue with wrecks as well.

For dives in the 140 fsw range, I like to use TMX 25/35 with EAN 50 and 100% O2 for deco. With good deco software and a wrist slate, and/or with a helium dive computer like the NitekHE, you can plan to deco with either or both gasses, having both available as a backup for the other.

Any good trimix instructor can train you to do what you want to do. You should have a lot of choices around D.C. available to you. Good luck, go slow, be careful, and study hard! I am sure you will have fun!

Analogue depth guages are not accurate enough for tech and/or deep diving, you need a computer.

Maybe not 100% True but digital depth gauges are mostly the norm.

The calculations for tech and decompression diving are extremely difficult using the imperial system (psi and feet) so you should get used to thinking in bar and meters.

False

DIN valves/connections are safer and no tech divers use yoke.

True

It is not necessary to take a drysuit class, you can learn how to use a drysuit in a few hours and a couple of dives.

Although I do not think a drysuit is all that hard to learn to use - I did it without a class; a class can always speed the learning process along.

Technical diving requires a drysuit.

Not always but most of the time (80%)

You should start diving with doubles now to get used to the extra weight.

You should always use doubles when doing any kind of 'real' tech diving.

You should take the DIR Fundamentals class before buying any tech diving gear (including doubles).

False Although the fundies class has a lot to offer, it is not the only way to get the info you need.

The DSAT Intro to Tech class (or similar class from another agency) is a good way to find out if you are interested in tech diving.

True but I am not a big fan of DSAT.

You should have a minimum number of dives (number varies depending who's said this to me) before taking Rescue Diver.

Depends on agency.

You should have at least 200 dives logged before taking any cave diving courses.[/QUOTE]

the more experience the better.

I've "known" I was interested in technical diving since pretty much immediately after getting my OW, so I've talked to a lot of people about it as I've been steadily working my way through the requirements (all I have left is Rescue, which I should be doing this summer, and then hitting the minimum # of dives). As I've talked to people, a lot of things have been said to me regarding tech diving, some of which don't sound right and some of which contradict things other people have told me. So, I'm going to list them out here. Please reply with whether you think these statements are true or false, and -why-.

Analogue depth gauges are not accurate enough for tech and/or deep diving, you need a computer. Not true, at all. A computer is a ‘nice to have’, not a ‘must have’, for depth determination.
The calculations for tech and decompression diving are extremely difficult using the imperial system (psi and feet) so you should get used to thinking in bar and meters. Not true, at all.
DIN valves/connections are safer and no tech divers use yoke. Tech divers might use yoke, for Argon bottles for example. DIN connections are a bit more reliable. You won’t die if you use yoke, but I don’t for tech diving (or any diving, for that matter).
It is not necessary to take a drysuit class, you can learn how to use a drysuit in a few hours and a couple of dives. Maybe, maybe not. The class is not essential. It might be helpful, and if it is ‘thron in’ as a part of the purchase price of the suit, why not take it?
Technical diving requires a drysuit. Not specifically true. But, because of the environments in which most (not all) technical diving is pursued, having a drysuit as your exposure suit is often desirable.
You should start diving with doubles now to get used to the extra weight. Nothing wrong with setting up doubles before the start of tech training. But, it is really helpful to have an experienced doubles divers to use as a resource, rather than simply plunging in without any help.
You should take the DIR Fundamentals class before buying any tech diving gear (including doubles). I wouldn’t wait to take the course before buying any gear. I would take the course, if available in an accessible locale. It is valuable.
The DSAT Intro to Tech class (or similar class from another agency) is a good way to find out if you are interested in tech diving. Possibly. These are good classes. Not essential, but possibly helpful.
You should have a minimum number of dives (number varies depending who's said this to me) before taking Rescue Diver. This may be a certifying agency-specific requirement. Bets to have some good diving experience before taking the course.
You should have at least 200 dives logged before taking any cave diving courses.
Not a bad guideline. Best to have reasonable amount of experience, good buoyancy control, and confidence, before venturing into these environments. The pre-requisite requirements of cavern and cave courses may vary according to certifying agency.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the Dive Rite basic harness/bp/w fulfills the DIR standards? The optional crotch strap only has one ring...

just curious, but y dive rite over Halcyon or oxycheq? (my research has lead me to believe in donut over horseshoe for wing shape)

and although halcyon tends to be earth moving expensive, both are readily available used ???

just my .02C

ps. good luck with whatever you decide!

You might want to make up your own crotch strap w/ the Dive Rite harness. I have a Dive Rite backplate and I just web my own harness when it's looking rough. You can get webbing for next to nothing and just re-use the hardware. When I first bought the plate it came with the basic/standard harness (continuous webbing) and I just picked up a couple of extra feet for the crotch strap. I'm not a DIR diver but I like the sturdy 2-inch webbing with D-rings.

If the Dive Rite crotch strap has only one D-ring, as it appears to have, it does not fulfill DIR requirements. You need the front one for an attachment for a scooter tow cord. The rear one is used for various things, but eventually for attaching a leash for additional deco bottles.

Seriously . . . If the DIR approach to diving appeals to you, scout out your most accessible Fundies class and take it as soon as you can. Take it in a single tank, if that's what you have. Get the basic instruction and practice. You can transition to doubles and do a checkout dive to upgrade to a tech pass, if you decide to do your tech training with GUE. Although where you live, you don't have an in-town GUE instructor (as I do), you should still be able to get access to an instructor in a reasonable fashion. (After all, you've got a cavern cert, so you have a big excuse for a trip to Florida . . . :) )

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom