Truck bed liner on tanks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColdH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
Could or has anyone tried putting truck bed liner on scuba tanks for a coating?

I would think it would be a good durable coating if you can use it.

Could or has anyone tried putting truck bed liner on scuba tanks for a coating?

I would think it would be a good durable coating if you can use it.

I wouldn't. If you end up getting any moisture, especially salt water under the coating you're just asking for unseen corrosion build up. I think the potential for problems is greater than the potential benefits.

You couldn't do a proper VIP on the tank. Polyurea (truck bed liner material) is next to impossible to get off without shotblasting or 25,000PSI+ pressure washing.

[video=youtube;DIgS8nv5Dhw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIgS8nv5Dhw[/video]

I thought if a person painted from the bottom up to where the stamping started so that you could still read the numbers, it might work. Guess not.

What is the problem you are trying to solve. I don't have much problem with you doing it, but it will make it a pain int he butt to get your tank band on the cylinder, it will be impossible to VIP (I wouldn't VIP or fill it), most folks won't fill it, so you'll have to buy a fill station. What are you trying to accomplish?

Paint will show pretty quickly if there's any corrosion. Bedliner will not, until it's too late. If anything, it's a non-standard coating in the industry and likely to cause an inspector to fail due to fear of the unknown.

What problem are you trying to fix? Aluminum tanks are mainly coated for looks. Steel tanks are frequently hot-dipped galvanized for corrosion protection, and that stuff is pretty durable.

It's an awesome material, rubbery, and not as hard as a tank boot. It's also a waterproof material, BUT some chemicals can pass through the material and begin to corrode the metal. That would be my major concern knowing the material, as a VIP inspector, how can I trust something I can't see to visually validate its integrity.

This video shows how durable the polyurea is, while the material coated disintegrates.

[video=youtube;2mJQta-c2B4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mJQta-c2B4[/video]

Was just looking at my faber's that have a couple paint chips, will eventually rust. Guess I will just have to spot touch up the tanks thats all. Just thought there might be a better option that will last longer and be a little more durable.

Not sure about the protocol in the US but certainly in the UK anything that could potentially be hiding corrosion, dents or scratches has to be removed so their absence, individual size and/or cumulative total can be verified during a visual inspection.

Putting something like truck bed liner on just makes it next to impossible to do that and the work of removing it would make it uneconomical to do as part of a relatively low-cost procedure like a visual.

Back
Top Bottom