7/8 UNF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. I guess the tanks rolled around in the truck or someone let them fall over (both kids swear that never happend). I have 2 HP 3500 valves that are slightly out of round, I dont think there's anything I can do? Happened between now and my last oyster dive 2 weeks ago. Everything worked fine on the boat, today I can't screw anything in one and the other is really tight. Anything I can do? Besides pick up a few used ones?

Any options, anyone have a few laying around?

Thanks!

Pirahna sells new ones.

The tight one, screw a stainless din plug all the way into it and then beat on the valve all the way around the plug with a dead blow hammer. It should round back out. You need to actually beat on it, you are reforming the brass. Don't use a steel hammer, you will destroy the valve. Once you have removed the din plug, inspect the internal threads of the valve and make sure they are all intact. If it was bent too far, it will likely crack the threads when you straighten it.
50% of the time, it works every time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102-233728_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102-233728_AliExpress.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20231102-233402_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102-233402_Samsung Internet.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 39
Not sure what you mean....
It was BC (before coffee) and I saw outside the us and thought different thread... but it just said more widely used "outside the US":)
I have some are they the slanted or the thermo style valvves?
Yes, these are both slanted. PM pictures of what you have and what you're looking for.

I did order a metal din plug as per @Tracy recommendation.. I thought I had one but I can't find it. Tracy do you think the die tap would work at all, or would that be a no no as it would most likely take some of the meat away? I'm not sure... I've never had to try and tap brass.

Thanks guys.. glad to know there's some options.

I did order a metal din plug as per @Tracy recommendation.. I thought I had one but I can't find it. Tracy do you think the die tap would work at all, or would that be a no no as it would most likely take some of the meat away? I'm not sure... I've never had to try and tap brass.
I don't think there will be much use for a tap, if you can't massage the valve back into shape, my experience is it will be too far gone to restore.
Many times, even if you can massage it, the threads are broken and it is junk anyway.
This is why DIN tanks always have din plugs installed. They are pretty fragile when empty. 300 bar is worse than 200 bar in that regard.

I don't think there will be much use for a tap, if you can't massage the valve back into shape, my experience is it will be too far gone to restore.
Many times, even if you can massage it, the threads are broken and it is junk anyway.
This is why DIN tanks always have din plugs installed. They are pretty fragile when empty. 300 bar is worse than 200 bar in that regard.
Learning the hard way.

Do the plugs for good tanks have to be metal, or does Delrin work? Maybe a dense 3D printed plug? (Like ~ 100% infill)?

I'm saying good tanks as obvioulsy the bent valves need the stainless plug, but would the delrin / 3D hold the good valves in shape?

They would certainly help. I don't know if they are as good as the brass/steel ones. I now use the $5 brass ones from dgx, I used the stainless highland ones before those came out. I have hundreds of them at this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom