Tropical Disturbance Moving Toward Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was in Coz in August, I could never see the clouds on radar on my weather.com app or another app which is radar only. Is there an app or service that shows active radar? You know, one that tracks the clouds and shows the green/yellow/red intensities?
I have also looked for ground based Radar imagery and do not think there is any decent coverage available . Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the subject could correct me if I am wrong. I found this site @ Radars - Tropical Atlantic
which shows minimal actual radar coverage in the Cozumel / Cancun area.
upload_2018-10-6_4-8-50.png

The coverage on this map shows Cozumel / Cancun area coverage is in the outer range of a site in Belize and I would not think the accuracy would be very good at that range. The Belize site can be found at Radar Images - National Meteorological Service of Belize
Here is a comparison of the current Intellicast Caribbean satellite image and the Belize radar 400 Km image.
Intellicast Satellite:
upload_2018-10-6_4-21-25.png
Belize Radar
upload_2018-10-6_4-24-10.png

Well, my original query became a moot point this morning. Evidently the airline didn't think it was a good idea coming to the island today. They canceled my flights

Well, my original query became a moot point this morning. Evidently the airline didn't think it was a good idea coming to the island today. They canceled my flights

What airline? I'm not seeing any cancellations into CUN or CZM.

FWIW, the National Hurricane Center gives the disturbance south of Cozumel an 80% chance of developing into a tropical cyclone within the next 5 days.
That was yesterday. Today it is saying 80% in the next 48 hours and 90% in the next 5 days.

Looks like the main activity is predicted for after it passes Cozumel and gets into the gulf. Probably be a rain event Sunday and into Monday
upload_2018-10-6_10-29-46.png
upload_2018-10-6_10-32-35.png

upload_2018-10-6_10-33-43.png

United ....was supposed to arrive at 12:13 today

That flight took off from IAH at 10:15 (17 minutes delayed) and scheduled to arrive a little late at 12:34 according to a friend of mine that’s on that flight and the United app

Flights would not be cancelled for a “disturbance” that has not even reached official storm status and not directly affecting the destination and safe take-off/landing conditions.

Hi Christi!

The word that caught my attention was "cyclone." :wink: We've been there when it was raining (hard) and it was no big deal, just like you said. That's why we always bring an umbrella to the tropics. :) I can't tell what the storm movement timeline is but they are saying a possible cyclone in 5 days but it could be past Cozumel by then. Usually the nasty stuff starts up right after we leave or ends right before we get there. We are, however, considering trip insurance....

Edit: according to my weather app on Wednesday it's going to be 6 mph winds and moderate rain. Sound pretty normal to me.

Fancy and dramatic word for “rotating movement” - of course there are storms where cyclone appropriately fits and describes accurately - but winds from a tropical Depression and even a tropical storm in some cases are literally no stronger than the ones we get during a strong “norte” which are direct winds and stronger gusts vs. rotating

Bizarre.... Orbitz sent me email early this morning that my flights were cancelled.... even got a refund issued. Totally confused.

Attachments

• 4BF0E148-E198-4C99-A722-D35A866BE632.png
    4BF0E148-E198-4C99-A722-D35A866BE632.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 766B8FCA-F9D4-478C-9389-C93970FCD34F.png
    766B8FCA-F9D4-478C-9389-C93970FCD34F.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 196
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom