Tropical Depression 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right now the models are largely agreeing that it will hit the Yucatan. Right now it looks like it will be south of Coz, maybe near Felipe Carrillo Puerto, but this far out it only takes minor shift to swing the impact area widely.

Invest 96 is also forecast to follow the same route. So might be a rough week in that area.

You may know this already, but if the port gets closed to diving, it's generally closed to all watersports, which includes shore diving. Usually the closings are due to Nortes and it could be different with other types of big weather. Others here will know more than I do.
If the port is closed to boat diving it is also closed to shore diving. It happened three times since we got here June 18.

Port already closed Thursday.
I guess that you mean that the port captain has already announced that the port will be closed this coming Thursday, and maybe to all vessels of any size?

No one knows where it will go exactly and won't until Thursday, but if this monster doesn't change direction by tomorrow, I suspect that many boats will be unavailable as they begin pulling them out of the water, as ferries prepare to leave for Cancun on Wednesday, and cruise ships start dodging it as slow as they move. I suggest that all tourists on the island leave it tomorrow if possible and all inbound travelers abandon those plans.

1719895307792.png

We just booked flights to return in the Fall to the great macro sites in St. Vincent. Hopefully, the folks there are ok.

I am going to disagree, the eye wall has the highest winds, but the most dangerous part of the storm is the storm surge. I have a home that the eye literally passed over. There was a lot of damage, about $50k worth. But the damage we got was a fraction of the people who were further south and got the storm surge. And that reached out something like 50miles IIRC.

In 2012, Sandy hit NYC with modest wind damage. But it coincided with high tides and resulted in 10-12 foot surge. Roughly $30 billion in damage.

In 2012, Sandy hit NYC with modest wind damage. But it coincided with high tides and resulted in 10-12 foot surge. Roughly $30 billion in damage.
Generally, flooding takes more lives than winds in hurricanes.

Generally, flooding takes more lives than winds in hurricanes.
One more time, Cozumel DOES NOT experience significant storm surge—didn't in Wilma and won't now.

Dave Dillehay

Back
Top Bottom