Tropical Depression 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In your experience, how quickly do they fix the power and get things backup for a storm tropical storm/ cat 1? I’d assume the local gov would want to get things back up quickly to get that tax revenue rolling again.
In a direct hit from a 5 like Wilma, which might be considered worst possibly case, it took me 11 days to get power on at the Villa Aldora. In that instance there were electric crews there from all of Mexico (even Tijuana). In my case it may be my willingness to provide "tips" to the crews. It might have taken longer for others. Indeed, even though the entire waterfront of the Villa Aldora was gone down to bedrock, we could have served Guests in just 2 weeks.

Dave Dillehay

We got back from Cozumel last night; the airport yesterday afternoon was very busy with tourists Getting Out Of Dodge. There wasn't a vacant seat on our SWA flight, and things were made even more difficult by a couple of flight attendants on the incoming United flight getting injured in some turbulence, which canceled the outgoing flight. A couple of friends who were scheduled to fly out yesterday a couple of hours before us are as far as I know still on the island waiting for United to sort things out.

Even if Beryl has landfall on the Yucatan well south of Cozumel it will still make for a very windy and rainy spell on the island. The good news is that the winds would be from the east.

1720017777593.png

We got back from Cozumel last night; the airport yesterday afternoon was very busy with tourists Getting Out Of Dodge. There wasn't a vacant seat on our SWA flight, and things were made even more difficult by a couple of flight attendants on the incoming United flight getting injured in some turbulence, which canceled the outgoing flight. A couple of friends who were scheduled to fly out yesterday a couple of hours before us are as far as I know still on the island waiting for United to sort things out.

Even if Beryl has landfall on the Yucatan well south of Cozumel it will still make for a very windy and rainy spell on the island. The good news is that the winds would be from the east.
Just to be clear , this was yesterday when the United flight attendants were injured by turbulence?

The same thing happened in late May on another Houston-Cozumel flight —return flight cancelled because flight attendant injured on trip down .

I guess that means we should all take the fasten seat belt sign pretty seriously (if we weren’t already )

a couple of flight attendants on the incoming United flight getting injured in some turbulence, which canceled the outgoing flight.
I leave my seatbelt on from one airport to the next aside from brief trips to the head, and I worry about FAs walking the aisles during turbulence. I try to be ready to catch one if needed, hoping s/he is a lightweight.

For my H.Dean escape years ago, I had a confirmed reservation but had to travel to Cancun for a special flight on a plane that Continental flew in empty just for us escapees. I remember the night before seeing tourists arriving from late flights at the hotel. I asked if they weren't worried about the hurricane. Their replies were along the lines of "What hurricane?!" 😄 I left in the dark the next morning to get in the ferry line which was significant still, then shared a taxi with a newlywed couple, and at the airport I had to walk around hundreds of tourists who had been in a standby line all night.

The term spaghetti model isn't really a meteorological term but more and more weather sites are using it for the competing projections. Beryl will probably survive crossing the peninsula okay, pick up power over hot Gulf waters, and if he doesn't go ashore in Mexico there, he could swing north to Texas or Louisiana. Galveston and Austin are in the possibilities...

1720019532437.jpeg

Wow!

Sitting in MIA now; flight to CZM departs ~1:30, still showing on time.

Just to be clear , this was yesterday when the United flight attendants were injured by turbulence?
That is correct (Tuesday 7/2). We were on a SWA flight that departed on time at ~3PM. Our friends were booked on the United flight that was supposed to have left CZM at ~1PM, but they were still at the gate when we left. They told us that an ambulance had met the incoming United flight on the tarmac.

Our flight took an unusual path leaving the island; instead of flying over PdC we headed NE, east of the tip of the island, and we never were over the Yucatan at all. I was sitting at a left side window, and I could see a huge thunderstorm over the peninsula with an anvil top higher than we were flying; I assume that is what got the United flight attendants hurt.

Safe travels to all affected. I hate to say "go hit somebody else" but it is nice to see the track shifting southward. Cozumel's reefs don't need any more stress.

Safe travels to all affected. I hate to say "go hit somebody else" but it is nice to see the track shifting southward. Cozumel's reefs don't need any more stress.
The center line of the cone shifted back north a little this morning

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom