Tropical Depression 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember the night before seeing tourists arriving from late flights at the hotel. I asked if they weren't worried about the hurricane. Their replies were along the lines of "What hurricane?!" 😄
There's another one... 🤣
Sitting in MIA now; flight to CZM departs ~1:30, still showing on time.

As of 6PM on Wednesday the Villa Aldora and Aldora Divers are all secure and remaining guests are comfortable. The latest spaghetti models, at least at one source, show the eye to be well south of Cozumel. If that sticks Cozumel should have just Tropical Force winds. Obviously I will be tracking it closely with hourly phone reports…with more than a casual interest!

Dave Dillehay

So, what does the local scene look like? Any boats still in the water other than the ferries? Store windows boarded? Hotels down in occupancy. The island may well get Tropical Storm effect even if not hit, and I hope for the best, but the less that has to be saved and rebuilt the better.

So, what does the local scene look like? Any boats still in the water other than the ferries? Store windows boarded? Hotels down in occupancy. The island may well get Tropical Storm effect even if not hit, and I hope for the best, but the less that has to be saved and rebuilt the better.
I can't speak for others but Aldora boats are on dry land and the Villa has all aluminum hurricane shutters (great investment) closed, with just a few places where needed with plywood. It seems that most are calm, and this is not Cozumel's "first rodeo".

Dave Dillehay

In a direct hit from a 5 like Wilma, which might be considered worst possibly case, it took me 11 days to get power on at the Villa Aldora. In that instance there were electric crews there from all of Mexico (even Tijuana). In my case it may be my willingness to provide "tips" to the crews. It might have taken longer for others. Indeed, even though the entire waterfront of the Villa Aldora was gone down to bedrock, we could have served Guests in just 2 weeks.

Dave Dillehay
A day after Wilma passed we saw the transformer on our electric pole hanging. Felt going to be a while. Later that night heard some street noise it was the electric company putting I new transformer around 2 am. Live incentro

A day out and the track has basically stayed the same with the path south of the island and back down to a projected cat 1. Tropical force winds projected for this evening around sundown.

A day out and the track has basically stayed the same with the path south of the island and back down to a projected cat 1. Tropical force winds projected for this evening around sundown.
At 1 pm it looks like tropical force winds at most. Indeed, Memo regrets pulling the boats out of the water and hopes that we can be diving on Saturday. Like it was said, eyes are small and it is a big ocean!

Dave Dillehay

At 1 pm it looks like tropical force winds at most. Indeed, Memo regrets pulling the boats out of the water and hopes that we can be diving on Saturday. Like it was said, eyes are small and it is a big ocean!

Dave Dillehay
A lot of boats were pulled, it will be a scramble at the boat ramp to get them back in tomorrow. Given the superb quality of some of the trailers and tow vehicles might be a hell of show.

How will reefs, dive boats and scuba diving be hurt if coz gets 50 mile hour winds? How many days would dive boats not be running?

Back
Top Bottom