Tropical Depression 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They realized that while the tape reduces the number of shards flying around , the ones that are flying around are larger and more lethal .

This is why I pre-break all my windows any time a hurricane is about to hit my house.

I mean, I plan to. Haven't seen a hurricane in my 26 years in Colorado yet. But I'm ready.

Currently a Cat 2 centered about 10 - 15 miles SE of the Rasta Bar

Screenshot_20240705_041333_MyRadar.jpg

Weather history since midnight from the top of Villa Las Anglas

Screenshot_20240705_041536_Chrome.jpg

Villa las Anglas rain gauge is up to 12.2 inches, 10 inches in the last 2 1/2 hours. The device algorithm will probably reduce that downward as it compares with other data but it is still one hell of a rain event

FYI. Main Fonatur/Marina Cozumel Marina looks mostly fine. I am sure there are some boats with damage , but vast majority are fine (I was checking on 5 boats , 4 seemed fine and 1 had minor ($1,000) worth of equipment damage ).

In town damage as expected for a relatively minor hit as far as I can see. Some trees down , some pier likes down , but crews are already clearing trees and likely working on power also. Could be pockets of damage somewhere but not looking bad

I've seen countless "experts" saying not to tape and claiming it's been proven not to help but I've yet to see any actual data or study proving that. I suspect it's all based on logical reasoning not real world results. Or many people use crappy scotch tape or masking tape and get poor results then it becomes "taping doesn't help".

Now for Beryl to water the peninsula well, refilling aquifers, then rebuilding power as it heads for Galveston. :cool:

FYI. Main Fonatur/Marina Cozumel Marina looks mostly fine. I am sure there are some boats with damage , but vast majority are fine (I was checking on 5 boats , 4 seemed fine and 1 had minor ($1,000) worth of equipment damage ).

In town damage as expected for a relatively minor hit as far as I can see. Some trees down , some pier likes down , but crews are already clearing trees and likely working on power also. Could be pockets of damage somewhere but not looking bad

FYI. There are several power poles and a transformer down by Residencias reef. (Kind of in secrets area ). Residencias doesn’t have power and might be a couple of days since several poles are down

EDIT. For people unfamiliar with island , Residencias /Secrets area is several miles south of town. This was closer to when storm passed and almost certainly had higher wind than town. Still NOT particularly bad damage , might just be a day or two for power to come back down there and further south . In town some people have power and some people don’t , but I gather that happened even before the storm due to power overloads with ACs and equipment charging before the storm

Attachments

• IMG_8426.jpeg
    IMG_8426.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 33
I've seen countless "experts" saying not to tape and claiming it's been proven not to help but I've yet to see any actual data or study proving that. I suspect it's all based on logical reasoning not real world results. Or many people use crappy scotch tape or masking tape and get poor results then it becomes "taping doesn't help".
Can't really prove a negative, but:

It never seemed reasonable to me that a few strips of duct tape that I can easily tear apart with my bare hands could significantly strengthen a plate glass window, but I'm no "expert". :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom