Trimming out a neutral rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobaChef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After much fiddling, I finally got my unit nicely neutral at 6m with an empty wing and minimum loop volume. The problem is I'm still a bit too head heavy and it only gets worse once I start adding stages.

I don't really want to add more weight to trim things out, but I can't think of anything more I can do to shift weight downwards.

Any suggestions?

DUI weight and trim system. You can lengthen the suspenders and move some weight in it down your hips to balance yourself out in the pitch rotation.

Reactions: DUI
what fins are you using, and are you in a drysuit? You can try some heavier fins and see if that helps, Scubapro Jet Fins or Hollis F1's would be my first recommendations.

First, See if you can move your cylinders lower down on the rig(if they can be moved) to bring some weight back. May also look at bringing wings & backplate (if you use them) up (towards the head). That may help some, without adding weight or really changing your configuration. I am the opposite. With my Prism2, I am butt heavy & worse with bailouts. I have to wear a total 8 lbs weight high on my shoulders to pull me down, but after doubles, I am used to diving negative.

Ok running down the list in order.

1. i don't wear any additional lead, so there's none to move.

2. Drysuit and scubapro jetfins

3. Cylinders are resting on the frame, so can't go lower.

4. Raising the wing and backplate helped slightly, but made the bottom of the frame rest on the middle of my thighs which caused additional problems.

I'm used to being negative and head heavy. I learned doubles in a wetsuit and was wayy too heavy even with an ali plate.

A pound or two on the bottom of the box should even things out, but then once I start slinging a couple of bottles, i'm back where I started.

I could switch to aluminium cylinders....

do you have a horse shoe wing you can try, that is if you are using a do nut wing now.

do you have a horse shoe wing you can try, that is if you are using a do nut wing now.

I've got all donuts right now. Currently using the Halcyon JJ wing. I' can see if I can borrow a horseshoe from someone.

(Replace the Jetfins with something lighter. OMS Slipstreams are available again, or you could try the Dive Rite XTs.)

Never mind.

Last edited:
Ron, that would be opposite, heady heavy not foot heavy.

Could you try drysuit gaitors if there's any air in your lower legs?

Ron, that would be opposite, heady heavy not foot heavy.

Could you try drysuit gaitors if there's any air in your lower legs?

I rarely use more than a puff or two of air in the suit. I've tried putting a 4th element arctic top over my undergarment to make my upper body more buoyant with limited success. Even vacuum packed at 10m I'm still on the verge of pitching over.

Back
Top Bottom